Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Question

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Tubeless Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 08:46 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Tubeless Question

I'm off my bikes probably until the fall due to a burst Achilles tendon. Should I be topping off the air in my tubeless tires to maintain the seal or is it ok to leave them until I can ride again? I know that I'll need to add more Stan's in the fall. Also, should I spin the tires occasionally to make sure the sealant doesn't pool?
Thank you.
Old 04-07-20, 08:52 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
The sealant doesn't really weigh that much without the liquid so if it pools it isn't a big deal and won't really effect the spin of the wheel or create a bounce. If you are off it for a while get it in the air or on wood; concrete rots tires and damages them quickly even if painted. I stored a little used bike in a heated breezeway with a painted floor and after only 2 months had the paint pull off the concrete onto the tire from it starting to break down. Not filling it also shouldn't cause the actual seal to break so you should just be able to top up when you're ready to ride.
Old 04-08-20, 12:09 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The sealant doesn't lose much weight when it binds. The latex doesn't "dry" in that sense. It cures. A great deal of the fluid is antifreeze. Some people get boogers. You may get a solid puddle if the bike sits for a while. So far what I've seen is a webby gummy layer deposited all around the tire. I make no attempt to clean or remove it, I just add more. Mountain bike tires don't last all that long if you use them. It might be different for a road bike tire going ten thousand miles.

No one but the most neurotic balances bike wheels. They're too light, too slow, and too flexible for it to matter.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-08-20, 06:46 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Sorry to hear about the achilles. On the upside, not necessarily a bad time for it. Stay safe! Echoing what the others of have said, you shouldn't need to air or spin. If something is wonky when you start riding again, just clean it out and start over. I have known of riding buddies who take out most of their sealant when their bikes are going to sit for an extended period of time.
Old 04-08-20, 11:09 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Thank you to all who responded. The bike is on a rack off the floor so I'll just stare at it till I'm back in the saddle again.
Old 04-11-20, 08:30 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Heal up, spin the tire from time to time, but might be fine by Fall. Add more sealant and it should be good to go