Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Old 04-19-20, 06:13 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
the Sach's shifters now mounted on Paul Components thumbie mounts.
They shift ever so smoothly!
That's wonderful! I'm totally going to steal that idea!

Those shifters are really among the best ratcheting shifters ever- I've tried mounting those shifters to Shimano bar end pods and didn't get enough range out of them.

One of these days I'm going to have to set up my bikes for "upright" riding- (more upright than I already do ride)

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 04-19-20, 09:51 PM
rpa90

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow I’ve hit the inspiration jackpot - so good to have found this thread.
Old 04-19-20, 11:46 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
'
HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP THESE VINTAGE BIKES SO CLEAN! LOL
I rode mine all winter when the roads were clean, and a couple of times I got caught in rain.
The next day the bike was filthy! I cleaned it up as best I could, but during the winter it was not easy.
'
Full fenders with mud flaps,.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 04-19-20, 11:58 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
@roadsnakes what @Dfrost said plus, oh, you didn't think any of us were going to just snap a random photo of our touring bikes, did you? Can you say "photo shoot"? Winter riding is brutal on any bike, even with fenders and mud flaps. The NW is rain city fall/winter/spring. Dfrost's bikes magically stay cleaner than mine, so part of it is simply a magic I don't possess, and part of it is regular, short-interval cleaning. Mid-winter cleanings require wheel removal, if not crankset. Cassette off and go from there.

Some touring bikes (or bikes in general) never get ridden in the wet, so they never get too dirty. It's a nice life, not having to clean a million bikes, just one that meant to run through water without getting us wet along the way.
Old 04-20-20, 07:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
If you mean the blue ride, that’s an ‘88 Cannondale ST 400 in the smallest size available. I think 18”

‘88 was the year they started dimpling the inside of the chain stay for clearing a 32mm tire. Earlier models dont have the dimple, and you sometimes can juust clear a 32, but you’re often stuck at 28mm.
Originally Posted by Celeste Mike
This must not be a hard rule, because my '88 ST400 does not have dimples inside the chainstays. Much as I wish it did.
Originally Posted by rccardr
Nor does mine. 28's fit fine but no way 32's will wedge in there.
I built up a 58cm 85 (I think, the color matches better and it's a late '84 serial number) ST400 for my wife in sort of townie mode with those Velo Orange Crazy bars. I put SKS fenders (either P45 or longboard, I can't remember) and 32 mm Panaracer Paselas in there. Also managed to squeeze in tiresavers. Not sure everyone would be happy with the very tight clearance between the fender and the tire under the brake caliper in the rear (and the line of fender matching the curve of the tire looks terrible because it's so tight up there relative to elsewhere), but 32's definitely fit. I probably could have gone up to 35's without the fenders. The 84/85 models were built for 27" tires and I have 700c on there, so that might make a difference. Sorry for the old, crappy photo.

Also, sorry for the bastardization of a nice classic tourer. It fits what she wanted though. The aero parts of the crazy bars are something I wanted to add so she could ride fast with me if she ever chose to (or so I could get more aero going downhill when I borrowed it). Not sure she'll ever use them.

Last edited by himespau; 04-20-20 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-22-20, 05:43 AM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Bikes: Kuwahara Caravan, Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

This is my Kuwahara Caravan. I'm in the process of getting it ready for my maiden bike touring voyage. There's plenty of time to think things over...
Likes For Chrisp72:
Old 04-22-20, 07:14 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I built up a 58cm 85 (I think, the color matches better and it's a late '84 serial number) ST400 for my wife in sort of townie mode with those Velo Orange Crazy bars. I put SKS fenders (either P45 or longboard, I can't remember) and 32 mm Panaracer Paselas in there. Also managed to squeeze in tiresavers. Not sure everyone would be happy with the very tight clearance between the fender and the tire under the brake caliper in the rear (and the line of fender matching the curve of the tire looks terrible because it's so tight up there relative to elsewhere), but 32's definitely fit. I probably could have gone up to 35's without the fenders. The 84/85 models were built for 27" tires and I have 700c on there, so that might make a difference. Sorry for the old, crappy photo.

Also, sorry for the bastardization of a nice classic tourer. It fits what she wanted though. The aero parts of the crazy bars are something I wanted to add so she could ride fast with me if she ever chose to (or so I could get more aero going downhill when I borrowed it). Not sure she'll ever use them.
Wow I'm not sure what's going on with the brakes there. More pictures of the bars and cable routing is needed.
Old 04-22-20, 07:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Wow I'm not sure what's going on with the brakes there. More pictures of the bars and cable routing is needed.
Sorry, don't have more pictures (I was just trying to show the 32's I'd put on there and the terrible fender lines). It's functional, but sort of painful to look at. The Velo Orange Crazy Bar looks like this:

(Neither of these pictures are mine - both "borrowed" from Google Images - the ones on my wife's bike are tilted a bit, so the swept back part is a bit downward and the bullhorns are a bit more upward than the second picture)

The swept back portion has mtb diameter, so I have some old Deore LX integrated 8 speed shift/brake levers on it - I've since swapped out the shellacked cotton tape with cork ergo grips.

The forward-sticking part of the bars (shaped sort of like bullhorn bars) are road bike diameter, so I have them wrapped with generic cork tape under cotton tape that I have shellacked. The brake cable from the swept back part (and levers) runs under the tape to the end of the bullhorn-like bars, where I have cyclocross-style interrupter levers at the very ends. Because of the shape of the bars, having interrupter levers there feels like having a slightly fat non-aero cable routed drop bar lever. That way, you can ride very upright most of the time, but if you want to get more aero in the wind or while going downhill, you can grab the bullhorn area and sort of simulate the position of riding on the hoods (I stole the idea for that setup from SS/FG folks who use bullhorns with an interrupter lever for the front brake). The swept back part of the bars gets a bit in the way of your elbows if you try to bend them and get very low (and it's a little flexy if you try to do a lot of climbing out there - not terrible and definitely not as bad as the "in" area of Scott Drop In bars if you've ever used those - but I can feel a little bit of motion).

This is a bike that my wife uses like 95% of the time for cruises in the subdivision of 5 miles or less, so she's almost always on the swept back parts, but it was also convenient for me to hook up my son's bike to with the follow-me tandem adapter when the two of us would go alone before he was able to ride by himself and I liked to try pushing it a bit sometimes on the bullhorns.

Last edited by himespau; 04-22-20 at 07:42 AM.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-22-20, 07:42 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau

mine all look basterdized by the time i set em up for me. Bikes are meant to be used!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-23-20, 08:10 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
That's wonderful! I'm totally going to steal that idea!

Those shifters are really among the best ratcheting shifters ever- I've tried mounting those shifters to Shimano bar end pods and didn't get enough range out of them.

One of these days I'm going to have to set up my bikes for "upright" riding- (more upright than I already do ride)
It's my favorite shifting set up among my current 4 bikes.

I like that they were original to the Passage and of course just shift so smoothly.

As I approach or perhaps I'm already there at old dude status, I find the upright position to be more comfortable for me.

With both this Passage and a Miyata 610 I have I first rode 3 miles or so with the original bars and low stem and found it so uncomfortable I wanted to quit after a few miles. Now with similar cockpits on both bikes I'm ok for up to 40 miles.

That's a cheap fanny pack type bag I found at
Amazon I think. Not optimum and will probably go.

Last edited by cooperryder; 04-23-20 at 08:14 AM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 04-25-20, 01:11 PM
crisppen

Bikes: Raleigh Touring?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does the noli me tangere come with that model? LOL I love it!
Old 04-25-20, 05:16 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
It's my favorite shifting set up among my current 4 bikes.

I like that they were original to the Passage and of course just shift so smoothly.

As I approach or perhaps I'm already there at old dude status, I find the upright position to be more comfortable for me.

With both this Passage and a Miyata 610 I have I first rode 3 miles or so with the original bars and low stem and found it so uncomfortable I wanted to quit after a few miles. Now with similar cockpits on both bikes I'm ok for up to 40 miles.

That's a cheap fanny pack type bag I found at
Amazon I think. Not optimum and will probably go.
I really like your setup. I dig the silver brake levers and was actually looking for some of those ergo grips for my High Sierra with trekking bars.

About your shifter setup- have you tried different locations- I mean like on top, like old school thumb shifters or on the inside sorta like rapid fire shifters?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-26-20, 03:17 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by rpa90
Wow I’ve hit the inspiration jackpot - so good to have found this thread.
Welcome to the machine, we will suck you in before you even know what happened.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-09-20, 06:16 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
My daughter's handmade Mother's Day gift she is making for my wife inspired me to work on a bike I have had for a year and had been gathering pieces to build up for her. It's now a rideable mockup to see if she likes it. 1984 Trek 520.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old 05-09-20, 07:41 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
That looks nice. The stem looks a bit long for just about anyone who would fit that bike, though, to me.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 05-09-20, 08:35 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Originally Posted by Hobbiano
That looks nice. The stem looks a bit long for just about anyone who would fit that bike, though, to me.
Good eye. That SR from a 25" frame was all I had in the parts bin besides the extra tall Technomic it came with that I could not get any lower in the small frame headtube.
Old 05-09-20, 08:51 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Be careful with that fluted seat post that low. Traps moisture. I have the same bike in a 64cm frame. Its seat post sits about that high also.
Old 05-10-20, 04:48 AM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
Likes For LBCwanabe:
Old 05-10-20, 08:57 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by LBCwanabe
I love that color scheme and you have such a clean ride, nice!

What front rack is that?
Old 05-10-20, 09:09 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by LBCwanabe
Every time I see it I fall in love. Any over-nighters planned? Though I suppose it's a bit difficult to do a tour at the moment...
Old 05-11-20, 06:20 PM
WOTWU

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Schwinn Breeze, Bridgestone MB-4 & XO-2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I'm working on converting my trek elance 400 to a touring bike. This version features Reynolds 531
Likes For WOTWU:
Old 05-11-20, 06:38 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by WOTWU
I'm working on converting my trek elance 400 to a touring bike. This version features Reynolds 531
Is it a 400, or a 400T? If it is a 'T', you have a triple crank, and are most of the way there! I know because right now I've got one of each, both in that stunning early Trek blue metallic. The double crankset 400 is made of Ishiwata 022 lightweight chrome-moly, and after a 700c conversion, takes 35mm tires.

The 400T already has 700c, and won't fit anything wider than a 28... maybe a 32, but I would have to watch the alignment all the time. The trick for that one, I think, is to go with 650b. But it is quite a way down the queue, so I've got time to ponder.

Anyway, good luck with your build. You are in the right place to get good answers to your questions. Welcome aboard!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 05-11-20, 08:08 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 217 Posts
‘83 Trek 720

Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 05-16-20, 03:05 PM
casanewt

The latest find, a Shogun Alpine GT. I need to check the S/N to see if it is a 1987 or 88. That's my guess at least,

Likes For casanewt:
Old 05-23-20, 06:31 PM
casanewt

Dayton, Ohio. Univega Gran Turismo https://dayton.craigslist.org/bik/d/...127611497.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.