Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New grips don’t have end plugs?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 07:52 AM
arod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m a bit old school and still use bar ends.

I recently ordered some new grips (single lock ons) and intended on cutting the closed end and using a plug to enable installation of my bar ends. It seems however that the internal structure of the grip is such that you can’t simply cut the grip as the internal structure has a solid end plate.

Im now looking at alternative grips and there don’t seem to be many with basic plastic plugs. Some seem to have these removable metal plugs which I’m not sure whether they are bar end compatible?

Can anyone advise what what I should be looking for in a grip that will work with bar ends? Appreciate any advice or even recommendations on particular grips.

Thanks
Old 05-16-20, 08:21 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I.m not sure I understand your issue. Bar ends being the funky 'grips' that provide an alternate way to position your hands, right.?? Now, what exactly are you trying to achieve.??
Old 05-16-20, 08:25 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
If I understand right after reading it 18 times, check out Lizard Skin grips.
Old 05-17-20, 07:19 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I have been using ESI grips for four years now and love them. They would be compatible with bar ends.
Old 05-17-20, 07:26 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Just go to the bike shop and ask for a left over pair for the bar ends. Lock on grips are integrated systems and while the ends can be popped off the goal of them is to make the whole riding experience better and safer by having plugs that actually stay in place. Every basic set of foam or rubber grips has a bar plug just like they always did.
Old 05-17-20, 07:29 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
A lot of the Ergon grips will do what you want.
Old 05-17-20, 07:51 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by arod

I recently ordered some new grips (single lock ons) and intended on cutting the closed end and using a plug to enable installation of my bar ends. It seems however that the internal structure of the grip is such that you can’t simply cut the grip as the internal structure has a solid end plate.

Im now looking at alternative grips and there don’t seem to be many with basic plastic plugs. Some seem to have these removable metal plugs which I’m not sure whether they are bar end compatible?

Can anyone advise what what I should be looking for in a grip that will work with bar ends? Appreciate any advice or even recommendations on particular grips.

Thanks
You can cut most single lock grips with a hacksaw.

Many double lock grips will work with barends and you don't have to cut them. Many come with bar plugs too. For the best in bar plugs, look into BMX plugs.
Old 05-17-20, 03:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by arod

Thanks
I am confused.

If you are using lock-on grips, why can’t you just slide them in to make room in the ends for the bar ends. Why would you have to cut anything?

Why do you need a plastic plug?
Old 05-17-20, 04:51 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I am confused.

If you are using lock-on grips, why can’t you just slide them in to make room in the ends for the bar ends. Why would you have to cut anything?

Why do you need a plastic plug?
Sounds like the OP has this type of arrangement, which must be cut to push inboard of barends. No biggie, but they often need to be cut with a hacksaw instead of scissors.

Bar plugs are nice to have, even with barends on. I like to go for the expander type. Odyssey are nice and cheap.

Old 05-20-20, 12:11 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
A lot of the Ergon grips will do what you want.
^^This. Buy some ergons with the bar ends.
Old 05-20-20, 04:53 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
^^This. Buy some ergons with the bar ends.
Yep.
I should had added that they have a little lip inside the end of the grip, if you want to use your existing barends you may need to file the lip out with a round file.