Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame with integrated sensors, dream of the future?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Frame with integrated sensors, dream of the future?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 06:52 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Serious cyclists are a minority though, you get much many more ordinary people riding on all kinds of levels. Problem might be that I am looking at shops in a big city, Toronto. I doubt many serious cyclists live and train here, and the shops adapt to that.
You aren't making any sense.

Heart rate monitors are easy to get (even if it's online) and relatively cheap ($55-70). Even in Toronto.

I bet there are more serious cyclists and runners in Toronto than you think. It's a big city; not some backwater.

This shop sell bicycles that are expensive enough to be targeting "serious" cyclists. They have heart-rate straps.

https://www.sweetpetes.com/

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-12-20 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 07:40 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I would like to get bike computer that has cadence readout and I guess, speed too, besides maybe heart rate. What I see are cumbersome sensors you attach with plastic ties around your bike and if that wasn't enough, you either need cables or wifi, where the later increases the sensor size even more.

To complicate things even more in my particular case, I got this older Trek Equinox TTX9 with a frame that is not exactly mounting points friendly. What I would really want to have is the cadence sensor. For speed I use my phone mounted on handlebars that reads speed off GPS, but I think that gives only a very rough speed readout, with some delay too. I think speed sensor would be so much better, it would actually mean something to be looked at. But again, cadence and maybe heart rate readout would be good. I don't need GPS mapping, it can be handy at times but if I ride out of my usual roads, I look it up beforehand on desktop computer at home.

Now as to post title, I dream of time when frame and crank makers will settle on some standard and build sensors in, right during manufacture of the bike parts. If not bike computers, then at least sensors could be standardized, so they could built into frames, cranks, wheel rims, right at the manufacture. BTW what is used in pro racing? Do they have wifi connection or cabling inside frames or what.

Good stuff.
I don’t like having to install easy to use, small sensors on my old bicycle so I’ll dream about changing the entire dynamics of frame building as a solution.
Then all I’ll have to figure out is how to get all those HR monitor wearing, running yuppies off the road

Last edited by downhillmaster; 06-12-20 at 07:45 PM.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-13-20, 12:59 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You aren't making any sense.

Heart rate monitors are easy to get (even if it's online) and relatively cheap ($55-70). Even in Toronto.

I bet there are more serious cyclists and runners in Toronto than you think. It's a big city; not some backwater.

This shop sell bicycles that are expensive enough to be targeting "serious" cyclists. They have heart-rate straps.

https://www.sweetpetes.com/
Well, they do have after all. Only after I went to Garmin's site and copied the special name for their product (its HRM-Dual), did I find it in the bike store where I didn't find it before. How stupid search can they have on their pages? It is 70 USD, for me its 110 CAD and with tax, 125 CAD.
In the other store I usually shop, I found it under "HRM Dual", under 'HRM-Dual' it is not found. Online shopping is pits, I go to stores normally, but now they treat you like a leper, I try to avoid going there if I can help it. Will check up Sweetpetes, one location is actually open. Thx for the tip.

The bigger the city gets, generally that means you can do less serious bicycling there. Yes, they sell fancy top of the line bikes here, but typically those are bought by well off snobs who go on few outings with them and then they admire them in their home and before long, sell them on... or in better case, by mid-aged well off guys who have all the gear money can buy and who on weekend take it out on city trails, where you can't or should do serious biking, as that can be very dangerous. Those trails are for normal touring speeds at most.

And the roads near the city, outside its limits are not inspiring if I should put it that way, but I suppose that's in the beholders eye. If it wasn't for the virus, I'd be in EU now, in my town, on small smooth roads connecting small towns, even villages, with little traffic, rolling countryside cheerful to look at and bike in.
Found this pic from last fall, shortly before I left EU for Toronto for the winter.

Last edited by vane171; 06-13-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 01:54 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Well, they do have after all. Only after I went to Garmin's site and copied the special name for their product (its HRMDual), did I find it in the bike store where I didn't find it before. How stupid search can they have on their pages? It is 70 USD, for me its 110 CAD and with tax, 125 CAD.
I linked to that a couple of days ago. Amazon US has it for $US 53 (someone mentioned that too).

There's the Wahoo that is $US 50. https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...tors/tickr/buy

The bigger the city gets, generally that means you can do less serious bicycling there.
???

I live very close to New York City. There's lots of "serious" cycling being done there.

Yes, they sell fancy top of the line bikes here, but typically those are bought by well off snobs who go on few outings with them and then they admire them in their home and before long, sell them on... or in better case, by mid-aged well off guys who have all the gear money can buy and who on weekend take it out on city trails, where you can't or should do serious biking, as that can be very dangerous. Those trails are for normal touring speeds at most.
This is irrelevant.

There are likely lots of people buying "serious" cycling stuff in Toronto even if they use it elsewhere and there are likely numerous places in Toronto that will sell it to them. Anyway, why do you care what they do with it?

There are likely lots of these "snobs" that do more than "admiring" the stuff they buy.

It's nutty to call people you don't know (or who you think don't exist) "snobs" because they don't do what you happen to approve of what they do.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-13-20 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 12:30 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,484 Times in 870 Posts
That;s encouraging, thanks.
Serious cyclists are a minority though, you get much many more ordinary people riding on all kinds of levels. Problem might be that I am looking at shops in a big city, Toronto. I doubt many serious cyclists live and train here, and the shops adapt to that.

Even I don't cycle here, at least not in any serious, sporting sense. Even if you put your bike in a car and drive behind town, there are no appealing roads for riding a bike in the area unless you drive far out, and even then. Best cycling around here is in ravines on cycle paths, but there you can't do serious biking. Normally I live in EU for late spring, summer and early fall, and I do all my cycling over there.

You know where people from Toronto go downhill skiing if they go out for a day? There is a hole in the flat country somewhere near by, and they ski down into that. LOL That tells you everything. Although I am sure somebody from around here if they are on the forum, will prove me wrong, always there is somebody who finds everything just OK.

There are many cycling clubs and teams in Toronto, and a really large group road ride that happens every weekend:
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...ry-donut-ride/

Maybe you can chat up the people working at the shop about routes when you stop in to buy your heart rate monitor strap.