Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Non-GPS computer with heart rate.

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 04:40 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

Can you guys recommend me a computer that does all the basic stuff plus heart rate. I do not need gps. I am currently leaning toward the Cateye Padrone Digital. Any other worthy suggestions?

Side question. Does the Wahoo Bolt really need a smartphone to function, or just setup?
Old 06-15-20, 04:48 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
Can you guys recommend me a computer that does all the basic stuff plus heart rate. I do not need gps. I am currently leaning toward the Cateye Padrone Digital. Any other worthy suggestions?
Another approach is to get a basic computer that supports ANT+. There aren't that many of them.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

You can get sensors and heart-rate monitors that support ANT+ and BT. Getting stuff that supports both gives you other options.

For example, you could get at Garmin head unit without needing to buy other sensors.

It's not exactly the cheapest approach.

It looks like the Cateye supports other BT sensors.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products...ers/CC-PA400B/

CatEye brand HR-12 Heart Rate sensor
* Also works with other brand Speed, Cadence and/or Heart Rate sensors conforming to Bluetooth4.0 CSCP/HRP/CPP
Originally Posted by Melvang
Side question. Does the Wahoo Bolt really need a smartphone to function, or just setup?
Just to set up. And create routes.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-15-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 02:05 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
You can get a minimalist GPS computer that's compatible with heart rate and other sensors, and just ignore the GPS function.

Bryton and Lezyne have models under $100. All GPS but if you don't need that feature now, it won't hinder using it to record rides including sensor data for heart rate, speed, cadence, etc.

Look for a computer that enables downloading or transferring to your own PC or whatever records you prefer to keep. Not all bike computers will do that.

I've been using a XOSS G+ which is a good basic and cheap GPS computer -- no navigation aids, it just records ride routes. I do use Strava so it's fine for that. But there's no way to transfer data to my own private records offline. The USB port is for charging only, not data. The only option for extracting data from the computer is Strava or Training Peaks. And customer tech support is slow or unavailable -- although I've had few problems. So I can recommend it only with certain cautions.

However the XOSS G+ does the few things I really wanted on a bike cockpit display: heart rate, time and distance. I didn't need navigation aids. I set the XOSS to sound an audible alarm when my heart rate exceeds 160 bpm, which keeps me within my training goals.