Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

C & O Canal tour ?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

C & O Canal tour ?

Old 06-22-20, 12:03 AM
mark d

Bikes: panasonic 1987 dx-5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
C & O Canal tour ?

plan to do the c & o canal in july (it's air conditioned right ?) . please point me in the right direction for info. any personal experience shared would be appreciated as well

thks, mark
Old 06-22-20, 03:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
There you go again. Have you started by looking at the NPS website?
Old 06-22-20, 03:46 AM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What is the nps website ? I have used the search function before I have posted any of my questions. . Surprisingly that has not worked out.
Old 06-22-20, 03:53 AM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
ahhh, national park service got it and yes i found that and some other sites previously but personal experience from people willing to share is invaluable
Old 06-22-20, 06:06 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mark d
What is the nps website ? I have used the search function before I have posted any of my questions. . Surprisingly that has not worked out.
A simple search of thread titles for "C&O" returns 5 threads (in addition to this one) from this year alone. And you didn't ask only for personal experiences. You asked to be pointed in the right direction for information.

It is common courtesy to communicate what efforts you have made on your own so potential responders don't waste time and effort pointing you towards resources you have already investigated. It serves at least one other function, but I won't get into that.

In general, more details are helpful to everyone. For example, if camping is off the table, say that so people don’t waste time responding with campground information. The more effort you put into posts the more likely you are to get pertinent responses.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-22-20 at 06:38 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-22-20, 07:45 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
I'm sure Crazy Guy on a Bike must have countless threads on such a popular route. (a mere 23,000 + mentions)

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/sear...&main_type=all
Likes For robow:
Old 06-22-20, 07:49 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
https://bikecando.com/forum.aspx
Likes For Marylander:
Old 06-22-20, 08:54 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Ridden it twice, C&O and Gap. Both times started in DC. All off road, easy to follow. The heat might be bad. The rain might be worse. I found it to be a relaxing tour given no traffic. It accommodates almost any level of touring cyclist lacking major hills and having lots of services. As suggested, I would search around Crazyguy.
Old 06-22-20, 09:10 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
plan to do the c & o canal in july (it's air conditioned right ?) . please point me in the right direction for info. any personal experience shared would be appreciated as well

thks, mark

have you tried the intertubes yet? it's all the rage.
there's this new thang called the googles. google it!
al gore sure earned his noble price with this'n!
Old 06-22-20, 12:22 PM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
robow, crazyguy on a bike is a great resource. i find the fact that he is fatter then me comforting. thks

marylander, jackpot. that is exactly what i needed. thank you very much

saddlesores, yeah i tried that internet thing and a place called bike forums kept coming up....thought i'd give it a shot
Old 06-22-20, 02:50 PM
indyfabz

Old 06-22-20, 04:34 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I have used the search function before I have posted any of my questions. . Surprisingly that has not worked out.
I only do searches in these forums using the "Advanced Search" option.

Search->Advanced Search->Keyword(s): "C&O" (select: Search Titles Only) search in "Touring" forum only: Voila, 127 discussions in this single forum with "C&O" in the title. They should keep you busy for a while.

https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=8484407
Likes For axolotl:
Old 06-22-20, 05:20 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by axolotl

Search->Advanced Search->Keyword(s): "C&O" (select: Search Titles Only) search in "Touring" forum only: Voila, 127 discussions in this single forum with "C&O" in the title. They should keep you busy for a while.

Yeah, but.... I’m curious as to how he used the Internet and kept getting pointed towards Bikeforums (see post #10) but couldn’t find anything on Bikeforums. What would have shown up on Internet searches are links to Bikeforums threads.

I’m outta here.
Old 06-22-20, 06:35 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
There is also an invaluable and very active "C&O Canal" group on FB. Yes, I know it requires opening up FaceBook to get to it, but just ignore the other stuff - they have up-to-the-minute day-to-day info. Rode it last year, and the FB group info was very helpful.
Old 06-22-20, 07:38 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
For about the last 2 years the region has been stuck in a weather pattern of southerly winds bringing up a lot of Gulf of Mexico moisture. This spring has been quite rainy so fenders & wider tires might be good for the C&O. As for camping, it might help to call the individual campgrounds for details on current COVID restrictions.
Old 06-22-20, 10:49 PM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
thks

Originally Posted by axolotl

thks axoloti, thats what i needed. didn't know about the advanced search. the regular search was not working at all for me. i will peruse those thread. but the site marylander passed on pretty much covers everything
Old 06-23-20, 10:52 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
For about the last 2 years the region has been stuck in a weather pattern of southerly winds bringing up a lot of Gulf of Mexico moisture. This spring has been quite rainy so fenders & wider tires might be good for the C&O. As for camping, it might help to call the individual campgrounds for details on current COVID restrictions.
+1 Regarding fenders and wide tires. Make sure that you have adequate clearance regarding the fenders to prevent mud accumulation.
Old 06-23-20, 03:56 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Bring mosquito repellant
Old 06-23-20, 10:51 PM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
thks guys paying attention to the suggestions. not a facebook kinda guy but real time info will be valuable
Old 06-24-20, 12:16 AM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
so it looks like the water is turned off at the hiker/biker camp sites. pump handles removed. major bummer. i hate carrying water, so damn heavy. i'm trying to figure out if a filtration system will work on potomac water or boiling maybe ? maybe if i'm lucky they will just return the damn handles before i leave july 10th ish

here's an idea. manufacture an aluminum or titanium handle and carry it. if i had the specs i could make one right now on my ship but it would be steel
Old 06-24-20, 04:42 PM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I have done the c&o a lot. 15+ times. I live close and am on it the time even in winter. Water will be an issue depending on how much you carry. I use a filter and refill at creeks and river. Good fire wood is hard to find near the camps. I recommend a stove of some sort for cooking. Feel free to pm any questions you have.
Likes For Thruhiker:
Old 06-24-20, 10:36 PM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
thank you thruhiker

i will most definitely take you up on your kind offer
Old 06-25-20, 01:55 AM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
thruhiker, i will pm soon but for now can you tell me what water filter you recommend and can you use the potomac as a source ? thks
Old 06-25-20, 08:32 AM
Thruhiker 

I highly recommend the platypus gravity system. It's what I use. It's simple and light. Soon as I get to camp I fill the 4 liter dirty bag hook it to the filter then hang it from a tree branch or my handle bars. It will filter 4 liters in about 15 to 20 minutes. I set up camp dureing this time. By the time I'm done it's done. If it starts to become slow back flush it with clean water. I usually only do this at home and I add a bit of Clorox. They are available in 2 and 4 liter and about $110 at Amazon. The water bags are durable and can be traveled with full. The dirty water bag opens by a ziplock closure and it does get grit sand dirt in there so after a while it is difficult to seal tightly. Only a problem if your trying to haul it full wich I dont see there ever being a need for that unless your in a desert. (Carrying them both full would give you 8 liters of water ) the filter itself is replaceable last about 1500 to 2000 liters. It's a paper filter cartridge. One issue is winter camping well below freezing if they freeze still wet it will ruin it. I put mine in my sleeping bag or in a bag with chemical hand warmers if it's going to get down in the single digits.
a cheaper alternative is sawyer, it too is a gravity system. Available at walmart for around $30. The water bags it comes with are awful to use there impossible to fill without pouring the water in to it. They just use a regular threaded bottle opening. However the filter itself is decent and will hook up to the standard hydration bladder hose size. If you got a few old camel backs around you can make a good system with that filter. My own experience with sawyer is positive. A few years back I hiked the 1100 mile Florida trail. The platypus would get really slow every other day from the nasty canal and Everglades water. I switched to the sawyer filter. It will hook right up to the platypus bags. The sawyer filter is more porous I know it allowed more crap through but it was much faster and I never got sick. I've never had trouble with the platypus anywhere else. I use it all over the northeast. It makes all water perfectly clear and drinkable. If you are real picky theres an additional charcoal filter you can add. I got one and used it about twice and just didnt see the point. When on the C&O I mostly get my water from the Potomac river. It's fine and its fast moveing. One last thing. I know 4 liters sounds like a lot but by the time you cook dinner fill water bottles for the next day and breakfast before packing up you will use it. The weight savings from the 2 liter isnt worth the extra trip to the river in my opinion. I'm exited for you. I love the canal and Gap I'm on it nearly every weekend
Old 06-25-20, 08:37 AM
Thruhiker 

There also an app you can buy. Its .99 cents C&O explorer it's called. It's worth the .99 cents for the info on all the historical things. The real time miliage isnt great but it will tell you what mile marker everything is at and that is very accurate. The towpath has a mile marker every mile

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.