Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike computers are worthless. Change my mind.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike computers are worthless. Change my mind.

Old 06-20-20, 07:21 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
No ANT+ on a smart phone, and that’s a deal breaker for a lot of my older sensors and HRMs.

Also the bike computer will work under more extreme temperatures and weather, as most smart phones will start to overheat and shutdown at around 95’F, which is easy to do if it is sitting in the sun on your handlebars on a hot day. The Garmin edge has an operating temperature of 140’F, which is way past mine. The same is true at the low temperature end as well where a smart phone ‘gives up’ around 32F while most bike computers operate at far lower temperatures.

Phones are just not made to sit out in difficult environments like on handlebars for a long period.

But to each his own I suppose.
It was 36/37C with high humidity last weekend when I did a 65km ride and the phone I use for my bike computer (a Nokia 7 plus that I've since replaced as my main phone) had no issues with the heat.
Old 06-20-20, 09:46 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But still posting via a sock.
Thats my thought with this exact thread.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 06-22-20, 04:42 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
change my mind , is a meme statement that can be applied to anything !
This thread is ridiculous. Change my mind.

(Yup. Works really well here.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-22-20 at 05:48 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-22-20, 05:02 AM
sledgefisher

Bikes: 1968 - Peugeot PR10 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1987 / 1987 Gitane Super Corsa Reynolds 531, 1969 Moulton Super, 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I should stop following this thread. Change my mind.
Likes For sledgefisher:
Old 06-22-20, 05:50 AM
njkayaker

What's up with the spaces in front of the commas?
​​​​​
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-22-20, 12:31 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
the only use for a garmin or wahoo would be a hard ride or race , as far as functions go , a 30 dollar android phone can do everything you need while cycling , and if strava brought back heart rate i might be tempted to pay and use my phone to record races .
i guess dedicated computers can be a bit more accurate with gps , maybe cyclocross or MTB races would be best recorded with a watch ( a few cx racers in the pros had those watches ) , some are kind of more compact than a phone , BUT compare a 30 to 200 phone to a 100 to 400 dollar cycling computer and over all the phone wins every time . reply with any reason to choose a gps computer over a phone .

RANT : i mean does the 400 dollar wahoo roam even have a sd card slot to store and load maps and routes , i personally bought a garmin 520 because ti was in my price range, i thought it would be great for nav and routes but this thing sucks the battery only lasts 8 hours and it cant even hold 100 MBs of map data , doesn't have official functionality for map loading , i have to make separate folders and swap out my map sections just to get a map on screen and there is still no real time navigation , it cant play music or do turn by turn as well as my phone can but on my 30 dollar phone i have a full gps for free , why do these gps computers even exist , it would be beyond easy to add an SD card slot and expand storage , ok rant over , i still feel i should have spent the 150 on a new phone dedicated to my bikes
totally agree. I haven’t owned dedicated bike computer for at Least 5 years. I wear an apple watch, does everything i need including HR. The watch works great for cycling, running, hiking, xc skiing, and nearly anything else i do outside. I guess, if i were a power weeny, i might have a different opinion, but a flat road, low wind loop is my power test. I can’t imagine buying another cycle specific computer...ever.
Old 06-22-20, 01:33 PM
MilfordJohn

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Saga, Bike Friday NWT, Specialized Roubaix SL4, Brompton P6R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I used to use CycleMeter on my iPhone for my rides, but the app has limitations and limited battery life.

I have been a Garmin user since the beginning of 2016, first with an Edge 520 and then an Edge 530. I have used them for my local rides here in Virginia, for the End to End in the UK, in New Zealand, Greece, and France. The Garmins are reliable, never run out of juice in the middle of a ride, and have the added bonus of allowing the user to download routes from sites such as Strava or RidewithGPS. Turn by turn navigation is a Godsend when you are in a new place or overseas.

My Garmin has a much smaller footprint on my handlebars than a phone would, and the battery life is far superior – a 45-mile ride uses up just 25% of the battery on my 530. As for your issues with running out of storage, I log 150 rides a year and have not had any issues with space limitations. An Edge 530 will set you back less than $300, and for me that is money well spent.
Old 06-22-20, 01:38 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by MilfordJohn
I used to use CycleMeter on my iPhone for my rides, but the app has limitations and limited battery life.

I have been a Garmin user since the beginning of 2016, first with an Edge 520 and then an Edge 530. I have used them for my local rides here in Virginia, for the End to End in the UK, in New Zealand, Greece, and France. The Garmins are reliable, never run out of juice in the middle of a ride, and have the added bonus of allowing the user to download routes from sites such as Strava or RidewithGPS. Turn by turn navigation is a Godsend when you are in a new place or overseas.

My Garmin has a much smaller footprint on my handlebars than a phone would, and the battery life is far superior – a 45-mile ride uses up just 25% of the battery on my 530. As for your issues with running out of storage, I log 150 rides a year and have not had any issues with space limitations. An Edge 530 will set you back less than $300, and for me that is money well spent.
I really hate that my 520 has to travel with my Laptop so that I can swap Open source maps on it for any decent mapping ability. Because it has VERY limited data storage available. It is actually annoying enought that the mapping function just doesn't get used anymore.
Old 06-22-20, 01:58 PM
MilfordJohn

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Saga, Bike Friday NWT, Specialized Roubaix SL4, Brompton P6R

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I only use the mapping function on my 530 for downloaded routes and turn-by-turn instructions. I don't see the sense of using the maps on the Garmin, given the small screen size. I carry a lightweight laptop when I am on tour to research my daily routes via RidewithGPS. If you want the bigger picture while you are on the bike, pack along a 1:50,000 scale paper map of the area you are riding in.

I still think the Garmin is one of the best cycling investments I have made.
Old 06-22-20, 02:22 PM
Kirbentech

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, Schwinn Super Sport (circa 1981)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike computers are Worthless. Change my mind.

It all depends on what you want it for. I'm a recreational cyclist, but I'm into gadgets and data. That provides the value I am looking for. Others may not find the same value. I have a set of power-meter pedals on my vintage Schwinn, but others might never do the same.

I just went from a Garmin 520 to a 530. Increased battery life, and the 530 allows for the add-on battery extender gizmo. I plan on doing a couple of 24-hour rides, so this will work for me. But again, it's all about what you value. :-)
Old 06-22-20, 02:31 PM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You know what's really useless? Broccoli. I hate it.
Now, wait a minute! Broccoli is my favorite food group!
Old 06-22-20, 02:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
My usual pattern is to do very long rides on weekends to particular destinations then back home after a fairly long break at the destination. That relied a lot on GPS. Now since COVID, I really haven't wanted to spend much of any time at a destination, so I'm rediscovering the art of "take a right and see where this road goes". I'm using my phone to keep track of my path so far so I can just reverse it for the trail of breadcrumbs home. It's really easy to get turned around on New England roads, and getting totally lost 50 miles from home in 93 degree weather would not be my idea of fun..
Old 06-22-20, 03:48 PM
djs42

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Got a cheap Cateye that I use. No power meter or cadence, just basic speed / time / distance. Love it.
Helps me pace myself on rides and allows me to keep a record of distances traveled.
Budget friendly as well.

Usually bring my phone but pack it away and only use it during stops.
If I ever get into a serious conditioning regimen I may use it for my bt hrm again but the whole idea of messing around with a phone while I'm pushing it on the bike is a pretty stupid idea to me just like being distracted by earbuds. Would probably have a different take if I rode on dedicated bike circuits.
Old 06-22-20, 04:53 PM
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I was headed down that same road

Originally Posted by GlennR
My wife has no bike computer and leaves her phone at home when she rides.

So she doesn't even need your $30 android phone.

So what's your point?
I sometimes use a cycling GPS program with my iPhone but I often jump on the bike and start riding. I have several and they still have an old Cateye or Vetta computer. I seldom reset the trip odometer. I just look at the starting mileage and ending mileage. I have a brain and it works. I usually have it on the function where mph is also displayed. Its all I need.
Old 06-22-20, 05:51 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
gee....see, here's the thing, you're you and I'm me and you're not.
We are....different. I've never been in a race, and I'm sure i never will be.
i own a garmin (that I got six years ago, I think). Never have used it much, but back then, it came in handy when traveling and needing directions.
On the other hand: I am totally attached to my cat eye strada. I want to know all of that stuff it keeps track of. Just because I want to know...some people don't care about that info, and therefore: they don't need one. I want to know how many miles I've gone each month, each year, etc....and at times when I've accumulated a lot of miles, keeping track encourages me to do even more.
I've also used my iPhone with ride with gps....that's been useful in some situations. But mostly: my idea of a cycling comptuer is that strada....which has the great virtue of going so long in between changing the battery. I have the digital one as: my headlight doesn't interfere with.

I got no problem with anyhone who has NO computer, nor with anyone who has the most complex one on the market. That's just the kind of wild and crazy guy I am.
Old 06-22-20, 05:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Found that my Garmin 530 somehow knows how much water i sweat out during a ride.

Must be magic.
Old 06-22-20, 06:04 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Not very relevant, but 15 or 20 years ago, I had a cateye OS1, in fact, i had a series of them.
It kept track things like your top speed.
And one it's failures was: eventually the top speed would be something like: 584 miles per hour.
I'm pretty sure that even if I rode over the edge and into the grand canyon i couldn't get going that fast.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 06-23-20, 05:53 AM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Cateye computer for mileage. And paper maps and handheld compass.
Likes For yukiinu:
Old 06-23-20, 05:54 AM
yukiinu

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Easy safety.

Cateye computer for mileage. And paper maps and handheld compass.
Old 06-23-20, 05:58 AM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
6 months ago I bought a Specialized Crossroads XC Pro hybrid and I got my computer (wireless) for $15 from Amazon.Com and have not had a single complaint. Last month I bought a Litespeed Arenberg road bike and came across a Bell wireless computer in Target for $15 also and got it and again I do not have a single complaint. For me I just want a computer to track the miles I ride, average speed, max speed, and ride time. If I get that I am happy and I can tell you I am happy. :-)
Old 06-23-20, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Not very relevant, but 15 or 20 years ago, I had a cateye OS1, in fact, i had a series of them.
It kept track things like your top speed.
And one it's failures was: eventually the top speed would be something like: 584 miles per hour.
I'm pretty sure that even if I rode over the edge and into the grand canyon i couldn't get going that fast.

Did you forget to turn it off on the plane?
Old 06-23-20, 09:17 AM
greengo
Riding the Greek Isles...

Bikes: Fuji roubaix pro / Specialized Road bike / Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
started using the Bolt a few months ago & it is well worth the money IMO
Old 06-23-20, 10:20 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
the only use for a garmin or wahoo would be a hard ride or race , as far as functions go , a 30 dollar android phone can do everything you need while cycling , and if strava brought back heart rate i might be tempted to pay and use my phone to record races .
i guess dedicated computers can be a bit more accurate with gps , maybe cyclocross or MTB races would be best recorded with a watch ( a few cx racers in the pros had those watches ) , some are kind of more compact than a phone , BUT compare a 30 to 200 phone to a 100 to 400 dollar cycling computer and over all the phone wins every time . reply with any reason to choose a gps computer over a phone .

RANT : i mean does the 400 dollar wahoo roam even have a sd card slot to store and load maps and routes , i personally bought a garmin 520 because ti was in my price range, i thought it would be great for nav and routes but this thing sucks the battery only lasts 8 hours and it cant even hold 100 MBs of map data , doesn't have official functionality for map loading , i have to make separate folders and swap out my map sections just to get a map on screen and there is still no real time navigation , it cant play music or do turn by turn as well as my phone can but on my 30 dollar phone i have a full gps for free , why do these gps computers even exist , it would be beyond easy to add an SD card slot and expand storage , ok rant over , i still feel i should have spent the 150 on a new phone dedicated to my bikes
No offense but why should we convince you? You have made up your mind. Biking computers are a flavor for a cyclist......meaning, either you want one or you don't. That simple.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 06-23-20, 08:32 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Metieval
I really hate that my 520 has to travel with my Laptop so that I can swap Open source maps on it for any decent mapping ability. Because it has VERY limited data storage available. It is actually annoying enought that the mapping function just doesn't get used anymore.
The 520 was always a weak choice for navigation.

​​​​​If navigation is important, the 520 wasn't the correct choice.
Old 06-23-20, 08:37 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Kirbentech
... and the 530 allows for the add-on battery extender gizmo. I plan on doing a couple of 24-hour rides, so this will work for me.
I'd use (have used) an inexpensive charger and cable rather than the expensive "gizmo".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.