Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Passed in same lane

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Passed in same lane

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 11:57 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
That is quite a judgemental statement. It does nobody any good.
Um. It's "bro-talk". For fun. You don't ever talk smack with your buddies?
Old 06-29-20, 01:47 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Other than the Grateful Dead tee, is that why the roadies get so upset when I pass them in my velo?
ya have to slow down for the pass so I can grab a draft for a bit,

Passing too fast ya just leave me hanging. hahah
I've never seen one in person, It would actually make my day to see, even if it was being passed by one.
Old 06-29-20, 02:56 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
ya have to slow down for the pass so I can grab a draft for a bit,

Passing too fast ya just leave me hanging. hahah
I've never seen one in person, It would actually make my day to see, even if it was being passed by one.
Thing about velos is they really leave no draft. On the plus side (for other bikes) it weighs 80 lbs, so you'll definitely catch me on a hill.
Old 06-29-20, 04:14 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Motorcyclists pass me in the same lane regularly. Probably the majority of motorcyclists do that. The exception are the retirees riding full dress cruisers with fairings and saddlebags. They seem to always move to the other lane.
Old 06-29-20, 04:31 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
That is quite a judgmental statement. It does nobody any good.

I have a beard, a recumbent and always wear gym shorts. Not sure if they are basketball shorts but could be used as such. Don't have any grateful dead T shirts but do have a tie dye Autism awareness shirt I wear at times. I'm pretty sure I'm on a spectrum somewhere. Does that make me a weirdo that I really enjoyed her statement?

I also have a red T shirt with a bike silhouette and the words "Ride Me" on it that I bought at the Goodwill. Seems like it was never worn, couldn't believe my luck.

My wife hates that shirt.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 06-29-20 at 04:35 PM.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-30-20, 05:35 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I've had two close calls being overtaken; one cut back in too soon and got her passenger door gouged by my left pedal, and in the other a speeding guy nicked my barcon with his wing mirror. I've had hundreds, maybe thousands of cars hang back and drive me crazy wondering about their intent/ability/state of sobriety/whatever. I'll take my chances, as I do on any ride.
???

So, in your experience, bad passes lead to actual collisions.

And you are more worried about being "driven crazy" because absolutely nothing happened in "thousands" of examples.

That doesn't make much sense.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ell-buddy.html
Old 06-30-20, 06:00 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Most of Canada now has a 'One Meter' rule - motorists must give at least one meter of space when passing cyclists. For lack of a meter stick carried on my bike, I estimate that my arm is approximately a meter long, and if a motorist is not within my left arm's reach then they are a meter away.
For me, one meter is from my fingertips to the armpit of the opposite arm (that's including the torso); I imagine it's similar for most people. I'm 5'11".

If a driver stays 1m/3ft away and doesn't cut in front of me too quickly, all good. Where I ride, the roads are so narrow that you can't even stay in the lane and keep that 1m distance. Most of the time I have to "encourage" people to cross the yellow lines by not riding too close to the shoulder.
Completely agreed about the ones who tail you for minutes, afraid to pass. Raises the inexperienced driver flag very quickly. I don't usually slow down or stop in those case but lately I've been thinking I should. I would also like to throw in 'niceholes' into the conversation.Thanks for waving me through, lady, but there's a car behind you in the other lane doing 35mph with no intent on stopping.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

And you are more worried about being "driven crazy" because absolutely nothing happened in "thousands" of examples.

That doesn't make much sense.
Counter-example from my experience: in two cases nervous drivers made bad overtake decisions; one went for it at a bad time, another went waaay too far in the opposite lane, like crossing the white line with their driver side wheels, and took too long to get back in their own lane. Both times there was a car coming in the opposite lane which they narrowly avoided clipping head-on.
Old 06-30-20, 06:24 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by autonomy
Completely agreed about the ones who tail you for minutes, afraid to pass. Raises the inexperienced driver flag very quickly.
So, nothing happens and you still worry about it? Bad passes are never done by inexperienced drivers? You'd rather an inexperienced driver attempt a complicated thing like passing rather than being cautious and driving slow?

Originally Posted by autonomy
Counter-example from my experience: in two cases nervous drivers made bad overtake decisions; one went for it at a bad time, another went waaay too far in the opposite lane, like crossing the white line with their driver side wheels, and took too long to get back in their own lane. Both times there was a car coming in the opposite lane which they narrowly avoided clipping head-on.
That's not a counter example.

​​​​​​It's example of the possible different consequences of a bad pass.

"Bad passes" aren't just the close ones.

"Nervous" drivers making "bad overtaking decisions" sounds like inexperience.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-30-20 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-30-20, 06:51 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts

No, merely two examples of what has happened to me, and autonomy's response to your post demonstrates other possibilities, which have also happened to me. I don't go looking for examples like this and would much prefer to have the roads to myself when out for a ride but that's not realistic. We're outnumbered out there, outgunned, outpowered, out-just-about-everythinged. If someone passes within three feet of me I'm not immediately outraged at the intrusion into my space; I try to be realistic about the road conditions and what I can expect from my fellow voyagers in those conditions.

And "absolutely nothing happened" is not what happened all those times. Each was a case of being confronted (conbacked?) by a driver who could not or world not manage a simple pass, usually on a two-lane road, leaving me to contemplate what might actually happen when they finally started to do something. Will they pass normally? Will they get too close or brush me? Will they go too far into the other lane and cause an oncoming driver to hit me while trying to avoid hitting them? Anything is possible until they're gone.

As when driving, I'd much rather encounter someone who makes a bold decisive move in traffic than someone who is tentative, reluctant, indecisive and who telegraphs all that to fellow drivers. The ones who hang back fall into that latter category. I can't be less of an obstacle to them unless I get off the pavement and it's not my responsibility to make their lives easier by doing so. You don't know what will happen until they are past you so my feeling in those cases is, "Make your move and let me get on with my ride."
Old 06-30-20, 09:48 AM
njkayaker

And "absolutely nothing happened" is not what happened all those times. Each was a case of being confronted (conbacked?) by a driver who could not or world not manage a simple pass, usually on a two-lane road, leaving me to contemplate what might actually happen when they finally started to do something.
Yes, nothing happened with the cars following you and autonomy. And bad stuff happened when you and autonomy were passed.

Will they pass normally? Will they get too close or brush me? Will they go too far into the other lane and cause an oncoming driver to hit me while trying to avoid hitting them? Anything is possible until they're gone.
Unhappy if they don't pass, unhappy when they do. If you think they are "nervous" drivers when following you, they'd be "nervous" drivers passing you. And passing takes more competence and experience than driving slowly.

In the same way that other drivers can't decide where it is safe for you to ride, you can't decide when it's safe for other drivers to pass you.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-30-20 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-30-20, 09:55 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
Had a first the other day after decades of cycling. A motorcycle (crotch rocket) whizzed by me in the left tire track of same lane I was using. Four lane road no one around.
Dangerous, and asking for a crash and injuries.

Can't say that I've had folks pass me in the same lane on a multi-lane road, like that. Often, people won't give quite enough space on a country two-lane road (one lane in each direction), but that's common.

As others have said: you never know. Some people just don't think, when out with others.
Old 06-30-20, 10:19 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Dangerous, and asking for a crash and injuries.

Can't say that I've had folks pass me in the same lane on a multi-lane road, like that. Often, people won't give quite enough space on a country two-lane road (one lane in each direction), but that's common.

As others have said: you never know. Some people just don't think, when out with others.
On those rural skinny roads, I swap from riding the right tire track to riding in the middle of the road, or on the middle line if there was a line. When a car comes up behind me, I make an obvious move to the right side of the road and then do the head check after. They in turn have returned the favor and went to the left side of the road to pass. When ever I just ride the right side of the road and ignore the people behind me I get close passes.

Maybe it is the head check, the communication behind it, maybe it sparks drivers into actually thinking?

Heck on these roads, I drive in the middle of the road anyways, Traffic is light and hell I pay taxes for both sides of the road, I am using both!

Edit: People are funny though. Drive a Prius and people coming head on will hog the road. Drive a big van, and the same people will run down the gravel alongside the road giving me room. Life to many people now days is just one huge pecking order.

Last edited by Metieval; 06-30-20 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-30-20, 10:21 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Yes, nothing happened with the cars following you and autonomy. And bad stuff happened when you and autonomy were passed.

Unhappy if they don't pass, unhappy when they do. If you think they are "nervous" drivers when following you, they'd be "nervous" drivers passing you. And passing takes more competence and experience than driving slowly.

In the same way that other drivers can't decide where it is safe for you to ride, you can't decide when it's safe for other drivers to pass you.
You either can't be made to understand or you're being argumentative. In either case, I wish you many happy uncollided miles and...Ignore.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-30-20, 01:24 PM
njkayaker

You either can't be made to understand or you're being argumentative. In either case, I wish you many happy uncollided miles and...Ignore.
You are worrying about a problem that, by your experience, isn't a real problem.

And you are unconcerned about something that you've personally had problems with.

That makes no sense.
Old 06-30-20, 03:21 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
I was surprised today when a motorcycle passed me in my lane.

He gave me three feet or more, so it was a safe pass.

Why was I surprised? Because he was on a Harley, and perhaps because we were on a slight downgrade, I didn't hear him coming. I'd have expected it if it were a Honda or a BMW, but a Harley? Maybe I need to have my hearing checked.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-02-20, 10:46 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
At least the OP wasn't passed by some old bearded weirdo on a recumbent, sporting basketball shorts and a Grateful Dead tee shirt...
You've seen that guy too? Geez he gets around!
Old 07-02-20, 12:57 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I was surprised today when a motorcycle passed me in my lane.

He gave me three feet or more, so it was a safe pass.

Why was I surprised? Because he was on a Harley, and perhaps because we were on a slight downgrade, I didn't hear him coming. I'd have expected it if it were a Honda or a BMW, but a Harley? Maybe I need to have my hearing checked.
Hearing test a good idea. Or, maybe it was an electric Harley? https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e.../livewire.html
Old 07-07-20, 09:43 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I'm just surprised a Harley passed anything!

I kid, I kid.

But we (other motorcycle riders) do often refer to Harleys as 'rolling road blocks'.