Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Focus Bikes from Germany

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Focus Bikes from Germany

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 02:20 AM
mobin2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Focus Bikes from Germany

Hi folks ,

Who knows focus bikes? as far as I know they are German made ....Could we compare them with bikes from Scott , Giant , Cube , Cannondale ?

How much reputation they have nowadays?
Old 06-12-20, 04:06 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Just like how Canyon was before finally setting up a US dedicated website, Focus bikes are truly underrated since they’re not as popular (authorize dealer) domestically.
I got to ride a Focus Cayo and it was fast, yet amazingly smooth, handled great. Overall, just as great as my Storck. The only reason why I didn’t pick up a Cayo is because our friend already had it in the powder blue color way. Even to this day, I’m still in the lookout for the Izalco Max 56cm, freestyle color way.
Old 06-12-20, 05:48 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
My LBS sells focus, so there are a number of them around where I live. They seem to be a quality, well made bike with few issues. Everyone that a focus seems to like them, most are a few years old still going strong.
Old 06-12-20, 08:48 AM
jcro001

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have had 2 Focus Cayos. Replaced the first as it was damaged in an accident. Very happy with the bikes. Though I have not ridden many other bikes so cannot compare.
Old 06-12-20, 12:20 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11394 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by primov8
Just like how Canyon was before finally setting up a US dedicated website, Focus bikes are truly underrated since they’re not as popular (authorize dealer) domestically.
I got to ride a Focus Cayo and it was fast, yet amazingly smooth, handled great. Overall, just as great as my Storck. The only reason why I didn’t pick up a Cayo is because our friend already had it in the powder blue color way. Even to this day, I’m still in the lookout for the Izalco Max 56cm, freestyle color way.
Exactly this, as far as my Cayo goes. Light enough to almost be weight weenie stuff, and I'm the most confident on that bike than any other, when descending. I also race it in crits, and it really is sure footed.
Old 06-12-20, 12:35 PM
D-Fuzz

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
I have a Focus Mares cyclocross bike and I love it. They are good quality, come well specc'ed for the money and cool enough that people want ask about the bike. I've never ridden one of their road bikes, but I would if I was in the market.
Old 06-12-20, 07:18 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I have an Izalco Max (rim brake) and a Paralane Etap (disc brake). Two of the best bikes I've ridden and I've been through a bunch of high-end bikes. The Izalco Max is an incredibly light frame/fork. Mine came in at 734g/253g. As light as it is, it's durable. I've beaten the piss out of it and it keeps coming back for more.

The paralane etap (I think it's a 2018 model) is also a solid bike - more of an all-road than gravel.

They make quality bikes, that's for sure.
Old 06-13-20, 02:25 AM
mobin2012

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all guys for sharing your views with me ...

P.S: Why there is no "like" button in here...lol
Likes For mobin2012:
Old 06-13-20, 09:26 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Been riding a Focus Erogride since '13. I recall one poster also had a ergoride and had carbon cracking problems that he couldn't resolve. I think Cayo has been highly regarded over the years. Note they aren't made in Germany. Mine says made in Taiwan, engineered in Germany. I don't care for the Paralane geometry compared to my Ergoride.

scott s.
Old 06-14-20, 12:43 PM
Johnd.211

Bikes: F10 Dogma, Evil Following,Felt Revolver

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Works for me

Originally Posted by mobin2012
Hi folks ,

Who knows focus bikes? as far as I know they are German made ....Could we compare them with bikes from Scott , Giant , Cube , Cannondale ?

I've been on an Izalco Pro for about 12k miles now and it's been a great bike. Added some ENVE SES 3.4 and have been very pleased. Only recently demoted it to 2nd bike because I wanted something with disc brakes.
Old 06-15-20, 08:29 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I recently got a Cayo 2. Put about 1000 km on it already. Mine is a size smaller than what I normally ride, so it's set up quite aggressively. It is quite nimble with a shorter wheelbase, and very comfortable to ride.
Old 07-05-20, 12:45 PM
btppberk

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Hi folks ,

I have a 2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 that has been great. The only thing I worry about is that my LBS says the internal cable tunnels are crumbling. They initially weren't sure they would be able to get a replacement cable through, though they eventually did. They claim this is a common problem with the older Focus bikes.
Old 07-05-20, 12:55 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Thank you all guys for sharing your views with me ...

P.S: Why there is no "like" button in here...lol
There is one. It’s possible you have to make 10 posts before you can use it, like with posting pics or sending PMs.