Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

WTB: front rack

Old 07-06-20, 01:44 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
WTB: front rack

Hopefully a vintage Blackburn rack suitable for an 80s touring bike with mid fork eyelets.

Last edited by shoota; 07-06-20 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-06-20, 01:51 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
You might want to specify a low-rider front rack in your title, since that is what are designed for those mid-fork mounts. Blackburn made a couple of models, the standard ones with the hoop over the front wheel, and the Custom that was a sort of double-loop rack on each side of the wheel. Good luck! Somebody's bound to come through for you.
Old 07-06-20, 02:01 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by thumpism
You might want to specify a low-rider front rack in your title, since that is what are designed for those mid-fork mounts. Blackburn made a couple of models, the standard ones with the hoop over the front wheel, and the Custom that was a sort of double-loop rack on each side of the wheel. Good luck! Somebody's bound to come through for you.
I see. I'm such a noob when it comes to racks. Here's a pic of the style I'm looking for. But the bosses on my '86 Schwinn Voyageur are in the middle of the fork, not in front like this one. I'm having trouble finding anything new built for the (apparently) older standards.

Old 07-06-20, 04:31 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
An '86 Voyageur would have bosses for lowriders. A front rack as you have shown above is a newish thing. There are older flat-top front racks but they bolt at the fender eyelets and the fork crown, as on my old RB-T with its Jim Blackburn front rack.

Here is a pic of the original lowriders installed (web photo). Note that this one uses U-bolts to attach to the fork blades since there are no bosses but these would bolt to your Voyageur using the bosses instead (no U-bolts needed) and can be combined with the front rack as on my bike by the simple step of omitting the hoop and bolting the lowrider part to the rack stays...

...as on this Fuji. I used a setup like this on tour also.

An here is a pic of the Blackburn Custom lowriders.

So the question remains, what do you want?
Likes For thumpism:
Old 07-06-20, 09:19 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by thumpism
An '86 Voyageur would have bosses for lowriders. A front rack as you have shown above is a newish thing. There are older flat-top front racks but they bolt at the fender eyelets and the fork crown, as on my old RB-T with its Jim Blackburn front rack.

Here is a pic of the original lowriders installed (web photo). Note that this one uses U-bolts to attach to the fork blades since there are no bosses but these would bolt to your Voyageur using the bosses instead (no U-bolts needed) and can be combined with the front rack as on my bike by the simple step of omitting the hoop and bolting the lowrider part to the rack stays...

...as on this Fuji. I used a setup like this on tour also.

An here is a pic of the Blackburn Custom lowriders.

So the question remains, what do you want?
Thanks that helps a lot! (And nice bikes)
I guess I’m after modern then. I don’t think I need anything as hefty as a low rider or full size rack. One of the new Nittos might be the ticket.
Old 07-06-20, 11:27 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Thanks that helps a lot! (And nice bikes)
I guess I’m after modern then. I don’t think I need anything as hefty as a low rider or full size rack. One of the new Nittos might be the ticket.
You should take a measurement of how far down the fork the mounting holes are. If they were meant for low riders, the standard Nitto M18 rack struts may not reach. Nitto sells longer struts. Here's the M18 on my Sequoia, to give you a visual. This is as far as the stock 235mm struts will reach.

Old 07-06-20, 11:32 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 1,436 Posts
The Nitto M12 is another option. It's designed to mount to your cantilever studs. I have no experience with it, but it's not adjustable, so I'd be leery.
Old 07-07-20, 08:13 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Andy_K
You should take a measurement of how far down the fork the mounting holes are. If they were meant for low riders, the standard Nitto M18 rack struts may not reach. Nitto sells longer struts. Here's the M18 on my Sequoia, to give you a visual. This is as far as the stock 235mm struts will reach.

This looks like exactly what I'm searching for, thanks.
Old 07-08-20, 03:27 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Here is my Nitto Mark's rack with very long stays on my Centurion Pro-Tour
Likes For bwilli88: