Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Montello

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pinarello Montello

Old 07-01-17, 04:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Pinarello Montello

...I just restored this one, the chrome was pretty rusty and the paint had some serious scrapes and scratches. The chrome rubbed out pretty nice, and I was lucky enough to find a very good match for the paint in a small enamel spray can at the hobby models store.

It rides nicely..late 70's I think, but I'm open to another year, because I have trouble telling the differences on these from the catalogs available. It was built up with stuff I had on hand...did not come to me in all original condition. A lot of the components that were on it were iffy...I guess someone stripped it at one time.

If I ever come up with a Super Record rear derailleur, I'll probably swap out the current one. But as it sits now it does shift pretty well. Anyway, the intention was always to ride it...even from the time years ago when I bought it as a future project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pinarello Montello 001.jpg (98.6 KB, 231 views)
Pinarello Montello 005.jpg (87.7 KB, 231 views)
Pinarello Montello 009.jpg (92.9 KB, 233 views)
Pinarello Montello 010.jpg (89.8 KB, 230 views)
Pinarello Montello 012.jpg (97.0 KB, 231 views)
Old 07-01-17, 04:31 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Nice looking Pina....glad you were able to save most of the chrome....I had a similar problem with a CIOCC that I bought awhile ago, lot's of work but well worth it.
I think you will enjoy the riding it, these are some of the nicest riding bikes that I have found.
Sorry I cant help with the year
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 07-01-17, 05:45 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The first year for the Montello was 1985, so it's definitely not late 1970s. The best dating tool is typically the palmares decal on the down tube.
Old 07-01-17, 07:14 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...thanks. I think the only catalogs I could find online were about from the mid 80's.
Old 07-01-17, 07:28 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

FWIW, I just found this page by a guy who has a keen interest in Montellos.
Old 07-01-17, 09:07 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Very good looking bike. I worked in a shop in the 80s and sold a few of these.
Old 07-02-17, 02:22 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
FWIW, I just found this page by a guy who has a keen interest in Montellos.
I love that guy's enthusiasm. I thought about joining his "owner's club" but I thought maybe it was an old site not being maintained. I see he's made some updates since the last time I visited though, so I guess not.
Old 07-02-17, 02:29 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Nice looking Pinot...I have always thought they are some of the most attractive bikes available...even with their typical decal issues! But...I like the deep red on yours...thanks for sharing...
Old 07-02-17, 05:13 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Very nice looking Pina, I am a sucker for a deep red metallic colourway. You have done an excellent job on this one.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-15-17, 06:00 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
An interesting detail is that the GPT logo next to seat post binder on the lug is missing in Photo 3.
I guess it's an early piece when the final design has not stabilized.
On my Montello is also missing, but it still has Portacatena holes on the dropout. It is commonly known that the Montellos were started in 1985. But I think only the Montello name came in 1985. I think Pinarello also produced frames with bridgeless BB shell (which is the determinant of Montello) in 1984. They were glued with different stickers like Super Star, Super Record Special etc.
The name Montello was attached to the frame only apropos of the 1985 World Cup, which was held in Montello, Italy, that year.
Old 07-15-17, 04:55 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Old Fireleg
An interesting detail is that the GPT logo next to seat post binder on the lug is missing in Photo 3.
I guess it's an early piece when the final design has not stabilized.
On my Montello is also missing, but it still has Portacatena holes on the dropout. It is commonly known that the Montellos were started in 1985. But I think only the Montello name came in 1985. I think Pinarello also produced frames with bridgeless BB shell (which is the determinant of Montello) in 1984. They were glued with different stickers like Super Star, Super Record Special etc.
The name Montello was attached to the frame only apropos of the 1985 World Cup, which was held in Montello, Italy, that year.
Pinarello used the Montello model name well in advance of the 1985 World Championships, which took place August 22-September 01, 1985, at Giavera del Montello, Italy. My research indicates that the name dates back to late 1984 and the time of the new model introductions.

After Grewal won the 1984 Olympic Road race, Gita, the USA distributor prepared celebratory advertisements that appeared in many cycling magazines. One of these mentions the Montello and it's new patented bridgeless bottom bracket shell. More importantly, it clearly bears a 1984 copyright date.

The picture of the Montello that appears in the 1984 advertisement is the exact same one that appears in the 1985 catalogue ,indicating that this catalogue was prepared sometime prior to the advertisement, in late 1984. The catalog was probably being prepared shortly after the 1984 Olympics as most of the models do not bear the palmares decal. This reasonable given the time to create and publish a ctalogue which would have to be available, along with the new models, at the autumn trade shows. Since the catalgue bicycle is clearly labelled 'MOD MONTELLO 85', it would appear that the model name was used from inception or very near to it.

I have seen the reported Super Star predecessor to the Montello and have two issues. First it clearly has the plamares decal celebrating the Olympic victory and secondly, it has a pump peg. The catalogue Montello 85 has neither, which which seem to indicate that the catalogue Montello actually predates the reported Super Star.
Old 07-16-17, 07:35 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Someone said this in another thread... and every time I see the name I giggle.

"Hello my name is Pinarello Monetllo, you killed my father, prepare to die."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-16-17, 11:57 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Hi T-Mar

Originally Posted by T-Mar
. One of these mentions the Montello and it's new patented bridgeless bottom bracket shell. More importantly, it clearly bears a 1984 copyright date.
I suppose you mean the pale blue brochure with Grewal and the red Montello from the 1985 catalog. Yes. You're right. This is a irrefutable evidence that the name Montello was already in use in 1984. (but also that Montello was made in 1984)

I have seen the reported Super Star predecessor to the Montello and have two issues. First it clearly has the plamares decal celebrating the Olympic victory and secondly, it has a pump peg. The catalogue Montello 85 has neither, which which seem to indicate that the catalogue Montello actually predates the reported Super Star.
I'm not surprised on the palmares sticker.at the Super Star, the 1985 catalog (which was then made in the 2nd half of 1984) shows it on the SRS and the two Treviso models too.

The pump peg. I do not think the owner would remember it badly and it would be a model after 1986. You can see that in the 1985 catalog the midnight blue Montello frame was with external brake cable routing. An Australian guy has a same Montello. I think these tiny, easy-to-change details were handled flexibly at this early period.

And then there's the Super Star sticker. All right, before the 1985, Pinarello did not want the name Montello to be made public. But can you imagine, they made only a couple stickers for a promotional bike with the technology at the time. Might have been this stickers the remnant of a missed project?

And finally, what do you think of the seat post lug without GPT logo? It is clearly visible in the 1985 catalog. But I've seen 4 or 5 Montellos (including my own) without this. Otherwise it is exactly the same as the type with GPT logo. I guess this lugs (with Pinarello bolt) are a Pinarello development is not Cinelli or any other manufacturer. Are they certainly the most earliest pieces and later changed to the template or were the two types of lugs paralel manufactured? What do you think?
Old 07-16-17, 12:39 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Regarding the pump pegs on Montellos,, what kind of pump would fit on to such a big pump peg head?
Most pump peg heads have a point to them. These have more of a mushroom pan head to it.
Asking cause I don't remember seeing these on any other bike.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 07-16-17, 03:57 PM
T-Mar

[FONT=&quot]...This is a irrefutable evidence that the name Montello was already in use in 1984. (but also that Montello was made in 1984)...
There's a big difference between being manufactured in 1984 and being a 1984 model. It was standard procedure within the industry to start building the new models several months in advance of the year end. The new Italian models and catalogues were unveiled at Milan trade show, where orders for the new models often took place. Since the Milan show typically took place in October, the new models were being built at least as early as August-September. Anything being built in the last 4-5 months of 1984 would actually be a 1985 model.
Old 07-17-17, 08:34 AM
T-Mar

[FONT=&quot]...The pump peg. I do not think the owner would remember it badly and it would be a model after 1986. You can see that in the 1985 catalog the midnight blue Montello frame was with external brake cable routing. An Australian guy has a same Montello. I think these tiny, easy-to-change details were handled flexibly at this early period.
Faulty memory with respect to dates ins a very common occurrence. I see it very often. While it may not be the case in this particular situation, I run into it so frequently, that it cannot be dismissed.

No doubt there were variations in the configuration due to custom orders, however, there would be a standard configuration and I would think that is what would have been used at the bicycle shows. The last thing you want is is dealers and customers to be placing orders, expecting a pump peg and then not having one. It's OK if you add a feature but if you downgrade or take someone away, there's a good chance the customer will walk away.

[FONT=&quot]And then there's the Super Star sticker. All right, before the 1985, Pinarello did not want the name Montello to be made public. But can you imagine, they made only a couple stickers for a promotional bike with the technology at the time. Might have been this stickers the remnant of a missed project?
But there is no Super Star sticker. Only the story of one that has long since disappeared. Certainly, there was no secrecy about the Montello name prior to 1985, as it is clearly in use in the late 1984 literature. To reiterate, the reported Super Star has the 1983 Olympics palmares decal whereas the 1985 catalog Montello does not, strongly suggesting that the Montello predates the Super Star. While it's possible that Super Star was a name for different market, it just seems such a silly name for a high end model, especially a Pinarello. It certainly is atypical of the model names they were using in the mid-1980s.

And finally, what do you think of the seat post lug without GPT logo? It is clearly visible in the 1985 catalog. But I've seen 4 or 5 Montellos (including my own) without this. Otherwise it is exactly the same as the type with GPT logo. I guess this lugs (with Pinarello bolt) are a Pinarello development is not Cinelli or any other manufacturer. Are they certainly the most earliest pieces and later changed to the template or were the two types of lugs paralel manufactured? What do you think?
I can't comment on the similarities of the non-embossed seat lug without good pictures.. It's possible that Pinarello simply paid to have their logo put on a standard lug from a supplier. If Pinarello ran short and needed some more lugs on short order, they may simply have made a substitution. It may or may not have anything to do with time line.