Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank tool ruined on super-stuck crank

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 05:18 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts

i got this tool from Taobao. I used it on the left crank of my cheap 20 year old single-speed cruiser; and it worked great.

But then I went to work on the right crank. But the right crank is super dupper tight. I ended up stripping the inside thread of the black part of this tool.

I cannot get Park Tool around here. But the LBS has a $10 tool that looks similar to my ruined one.

Is it normal to bust up these tools?

or is the old crank really so siezed up that it may be unremovable?

Last edited by mtb_addict; 02-07-20 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-07-20, 05:34 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
No disrespect, but if you purchased a low end tool (Chinese mfg), you cannot expect it to perform like the more expensive ones.

The quality of the steel, hardening and precision of the thread cuts are all parts of the package - each adds costs in the final price
and then add shipping.

There are no secrets, it is the nature of business.

There are so many knock off tools out there, designed to look good, marketed as "professional quality" but are not really robust enough
for "shop" use.

Most mechanics can confirm this through after looking through their tools.

An investment in quality tools will pay off in the long run.

rusty
Likes For 100bikes:
Old 02-07-20, 05:45 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I've never seen an crank tool strip before the crank does.

It's not unusual for the internal threads on the crank to pull out.
Old 02-07-20, 06:04 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
+1 to all above. Cranks are most usually aluminum, which is softer than tool steel by a large margin. Crank threads go before the tool threads do; I'm still rocking my personal CCP-1 from the early 90's.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 02-07-20, 06:05 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I've never seen an crank tool strip before the crank does.

It's not unusual for the internal threads on the crank to pull out.
This is much less likely if a properly-fitting tool has fully engaged the crank threads. Damaging an expensive component with a cheap, ill-fitting tool is false economy.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-07-20, 06:46 AM
mtb_addict

The crank is steel.

Btw, the crank tool and the BB ring wrench cost only $2 at Taobao.

The BB ring wrench worked okay, though. but it is soft. it wont last forever, but okay for gentle home use.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 02-07-20 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-07-20, 07:31 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
The crank is steel.
You've got a steel crank on a tapered spindle? Isn't that unusual? At least my experience, which may be limited, doesn't cover this. Because a crank is such a large part, it's one of the first targets for switching to aluminum alloy. I'd have to expect a bike with a tapered spindle steel crank to be in the "Cheapest Imaginable" category of Bike Shaped Objects. Did you test the crank with a magnet? One thought is that if the crank and spindle are the same metal, you may have galling. In this case, the two parts are essentially cold-welded together: you'll never get them apart. At least in a way that allows you to salvage one or the other (spindle or crank arm).

Btw, the crank tool and the BB ring wrench cost only $2 at Taobao.
Here's another part of your solution: buy NOTHING at Taobao that has to do with bikes or tools.

Good heavens, you probably got tools made from an alloy containing a significant percentage surplus Chinese bean curds and rice hulls.

At this point, I'd ask your LBS to ruin their tool removing the thing. Or get a proper tool, like Park's.
Old 02-07-20, 07:43 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
The crank is steel.
Steel tapered crank arms are pretty low end; adding a low end tool to the mix is a recipe for disaster. Steel spindle+steel arms+soft steel tool=not fun
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 02-07-20, 07:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
You sure there is not lock ring or something on the drive side?
Old 02-07-20, 08:11 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
You've got a steel crank on a tapered spindle? Isn't that unusual? At least my experience, which may be limited, doesn't cover this. Because a crank is such a large part, it's one of the first targets for switching to aluminum alloy. I'd have to expect a bike with a tapered spindle steel crank to be in the "Cheapest Imaginable" category of Bike Shaped Objects. Did you test the crank with a magnet? One thought is that if the crank and spindle are the same metal, you may have galling. In this case, the two parts are essentially cold-welded together: you'll never get them apart. At least in a way that allows you to salvage one or the other (spindle or crank arm).

Here's another part of your solution: buy NOTHING at Taobao that has to do with bikes or tools.

Good heavens, you probably got tools made from an alloy containing a significant percentage surplus Chinese bean curds and rice hulls.

At this point, I'd ask your LBS to ruin their tool removing the thing. Or get a proper tool, like Park's.
there is alot of rust on the crank...hence, i am 99% sure it is steel.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 02-07-20 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-07-20, 08:54 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
there is alot of rust on the crank...hence, i am 99% sure it is steel.
yes...it is a low end bike. i got it for free. i am over seas, living in tiny apartment...and i have to park bike outside...i dont want a good bike that will be stolen. bike theft is rappant here.
Ok, that's fine, but you still want to fix the thing up so that it rides ok. I'd take to to an LBS if you can. They might have the proper tool. Or get a proper tool yourself. If Park is not available, can you get a Shimano? TL-FC10.

Other options:
Use penetrating oil. If you can't get that, try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Careful - acetone will remove paint. Repeat application of fluid over time (5-10 applications in 24 hours, for example) or soak overnight if you can.
Heat the crank with a torch. Not to red hot, but enough to loosen it. This is one common way machinists break stuck joints.
Remove the spindle from the bottom bracket, with the crank attached. Then you can use heat, or penetrating oil with more abandon, or you could just drill out the spindle and replace it, or you could use a drift (preferably brass) to pound the spindle out. A piece of pipe in a vise, big enough to insert the spindle into, and small enough so that the crank rests on the pipe. Then using the drift (which is a brass or bronze rod about 1/2" or 12mm in diameter) pound on the spindle.
Old 02-07-20, 09:25 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem with an alloy crank and quality tool. He stripped the thread on the crank. I got the crank off for him. How?

I put 2 headset wrenches between the crank and the bottom bracket shell. Then I tapped a chisel between the headset wrenches on each side of the spindle with the bottom bracket supported by a concrete block. A few judicious tapping on the chisels and the crank popped right off. No damage to anything either.

Cheers
Old 02-07-20, 09:28 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I have seen the threads ripped out of many a crank arm, but never ripped out of a crank arm remover. That tool must be made of a previously unidentified alloy of unripe cheese.

Before you try again to remove the crank, make sure that there is no washer or something left in the crank after the bolt is removed...

... just occurred to me that less expensive bikes often have a nutted BB spindle, which means the 'bolt' portion of the spindle is probably inside the remover tool, meaning fewer engaged threads than if the tool was pushing on a bo9lted BB spindle.

Also make sure you don't have the larger diameter adaptor on the tool that lets it work with oversized BB spindles like ISIS and Hollowtech I - if you leve this adaptor on when removing a square tapered crank the tool will be pushing against the top of the square hole in the crank while pulling on the threads of the crank. This is only an issue if you have a bolted and not nutted BB spindle.
Old 02-07-20, 09:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
A friend of mine had the same problem with an alloy crank and quality tool. He stripped the thread on the crank. I got the crank off for him. How?

I put 2 headset wrenches between the crank and the bottom bracket shell. Then I tapped a chisel between the headset wrenches on each side of the spindle with the bottom bracket supported by a concrete block. A few judicious tapping on the chisels and the crank popped right off. No damage to anything either.

Cheers
A pickle fork is easier to use and relatively cheap
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-07-20, 09:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Amazon doesn't deliver Park Tools to where you live??

Have you considered offering the bike shop $5 to pull the crank for you?
Old 02-07-20, 10:00 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Maybe so but I already had the tools I used and I wasn't going to buy a one use tool for someone else's bike. With the tools I had it took about two minutes to remove the crank including getting the tools into position to do it.

Cheers
Old 02-07-20, 10:01 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
So are Jacobs chuck wedges. Another thing to try is to get the extractor properly installed and as tight as you dare, then hit the drive end of the tool squarely with a hand sledge; the vibration plus the impact against the spindle by the tool will often pop the taper loose.
Edit: Plus hitting things with hammers can be an anger outlet.
Old 02-07-20, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Maybe so but I already had the tools I used and I wasn't going to buy a one use tool for someone else's bike. With the tools I had it took about two minutes to remove the crank including getting the tools into position to do it.

Cheers
Frankly, I’d be more concerned about damaging the other tools you have on hand. Cone wrenches are easily damaged and it would depend on the type of chisel you were using. Someone might interpret you post as using a wood chisel. That’s what I thought of first when I read your post.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-07-20, 10:10 AM
Miele Man

Frankly, I’d be more concerned about damaging the other tools you have on hand. Cone wrenches are easily damaged and it would depend on the type of chisel you were using. Someone might interpret you post as using a wood chisel. That’s what I thought of first when I read your post.
Headset wrenches not cone wrenches. Old wood chisels not expensive quality ones. Even though it stripped the threads on the crank trying to remove it with a quality crank extractor the headset/chisel method didn't require that much force.

Cheers
Old 02-07-20, 10:10 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

I believe the OP is somewhere in SE Asia or similar foreign area without your standard services we've been accustom to.
Old 02-07-20, 10:14 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Unless you try a pickle fork, Jacobs chuck wedges or similar, when you get a different tool, soak the crap ouit of it with whatever penetrant you can get, heat up the crank arm, put some tension on the tool, and then give the crank arm some good raps with a hammer.
With the tension pulling on it the percussion of the hammer blows will often pop things loose.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-07-20, 10:25 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by pdlamb

i dont know how to use Amazon here. I hear you have to hire a 3rd party shipper in Oregon to recieve your Amazon package and re-send it to you...so its expensive. My roomate only know how to use Taobao. Its wierd here. We have to go to a store to pickup Taobao packages.

i just found Parktools on Taobao. The cwp-7 is about $11 USD.

The LBS has a “made in Taiwan” crank puller for about $10 USD.

I might give the Taiwan puller a try, because I want it asap.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 02-07-20 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-07-20, 11:47 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
....In my personal experience over the past five or ten years, the majority of the Taiwanese made tools I've bought and/or used appear to be of good quality. I would not hesitate to buy one.

There's a trick you might not know to using a crank puller. Try it and see if it helps. You drip in a little bit of penetrating oil on both sides of the spindle/taper interface surface (once the fixing bolt or nut is removed). Then you just put some initial tension on the crank by tightening the crank puller. Tap it on the outside end of the pulling bolt with a hammer (preferably a soft hammer, like brass, but any hammer will work). Drip in a little more penetrant between the spindle and the crank in the inside interface. Tighten it some more, Tap it a few more times firmly.

Usually, the crank then comes off. Mostly....except when it doesn't.
Old 02-07-20, 12:23 PM
Miele Man

Another thing you might try is to use a mallet to tap around the crank where it sits on the spindle. that might break loose whatever is holding it in place.

You did remove the nut from inside the crankarm? I knew a fellow who couldn't get a crank off his bike and it turned out he'd forgotten to remove the retaining nut. He thought he had.

Cheers
Old 02-08-20, 12:34 AM
mtb_addict

Omg.
I just bought the Taiwan tool for $8. The difference is Nite and day. I used it, and The crank came loose with very little effort. I also did the hammer tap technique that someone suggested.

That $2 tool felt like it was binding, (manufactured crookedly maybe).

Now, I got the crank off. And the rhs cup is wierd.

rhs...

lhs....

Last edited by mtb_addict; 02-08-20 at 04:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.