Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Continental GP4000S 700x28cc side slashers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 06:20 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts

This is the second time it happens to me this season.
I go for a ride, has to ride on the shoulder of the road on heavy traffic roads for couple of kms with some gravel rocks on the shoulder and the first time my front tire was slashed on the side of the rolling band. Didn’t notice it and the tire blew out when I pumped it to 110 PSI and saw that after I inspected the tire.

now it happened Sunday on the road my rear tire blew out and had to repair it and squeeze a Lezyne boot temporarily to get back home.

never ever had that problem with 25cc and I have been riding those for decades.

is it the 28cc that makes the lateral part of the tire prone to that?

Old 06-16-20, 06:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Sounds like you were lucky in the past - GP4Ks have a long history of sidewall slashes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-16-20, 09:40 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
28C 110 lbs? What do you weight? It is the supple sidewalls that make these great riding tires.
Likes For popeye:
Old 06-16-20, 10:19 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I gave up on the GP4000's for that very reason. Had several sidewall flats and one blowout (lost all pressure in about 2 seconds) from hitting small rocks and general roadside debris. I am trying a GP5000 on my new bike rear and so far so good but only have about 500 miles on it.

Why are you running 110PSI? Unless you are a really big guy, that is way too high.
Old 06-16-20, 11:05 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
110 is really high for 28mm
Likes For Elvo:
Old 06-16-20, 11:13 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Definitely not a gravel tire. I do occasionally ride dirt shortcuts or short byways for the scenery, but if it gets rocky I step off and walk it. Fortunately in my case rocks are easily spotted well in advance, and typically easily avoided. But if there's no getting around... I'll walk a few paces. But even then I understand doing this will likely shorten their life span. (This is GP5k though, but I rode 4000s before, and 3000s before that, and they're all the same deal.)
Old 06-16-20, 05:01 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
It’s worth noting that higher pressure tires will cut more easily than lower pressure tires.

If you weigh 160-180lbs, try going way, way, way down. Like 75psi. See what happens.
Old 06-16-20, 05:04 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
110 is really high for 28mm
It's really high for 23mm

It's really really really high for 28s
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 06-17-20, 07:23 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I stopped buying them for this reason too.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-17-20, 07:27 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I have these in 25mm, I am far heavier than you and keep pressures in the 90's, I've ridden them as low as 80-85 with no issues. Mine are fairly new, but no sidewall issues yet, and I have been checking them pretty regularly.
Old 06-17-20, 07:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
I've had sidewall slashes on a few GP4k's. In all other regards they're a decent tire so I'll buy them and risk it if they're heavily discounted. But otherwise no.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-17-20, 03:18 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
I have these in 25mm, I am far heavier than you and keep pressures in the 90's, I've ridden them as low as 80-85 with no issues. Mine are fairly new, but no sidewall issues yet, and I have been checking them pretty regularly.
And I’m 200 pounds and am riding these tires in 23mm width at 80-85 psi with no issues.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 06-17-20, 03:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I ride Vittoria Corsa G+, 25s @ 102psi, 28s @ 92psi. I don't ride gravel anymore (too rough on my too-many-times scrambled brain and when I knew I was going to be riding gravel, switched wheels and tires but if the pavement ends, it would never occur ot me to walk. I have cut the G+ tires, but not often enough to address as a worry.

I'm not a good judge of Continental tires. Other than the ice tires I love (for one weekend a year here in Oregon) I have had nothing but poor experiences on Contis.

Ben
Old 06-17-20, 03:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
It's really high for 23mm

It's really really really high for 28s
Depends on rider weight. I run 23s and at 100psi I'll get constant pinch flats, sometimes several on a single ride.
Old 06-17-20, 05:21 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

I had a snakebite pinch flat once at the end of last season hitting a pothole with my 28cc at 90psi in my rear wheel.

thats the only reason I run them at 110 now,
I’m 170 pounds off racing, 145 pound while racing
Old 06-17-20, 10:11 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by dr_max
I had a snakebite pinch flat once at the end of last season hitting a pothole with my 28cc at 90psi in my rear wheel.

thats the only reason I run them at 110 now,
I’m 170 pounds off racing, 145 pound while racing
You may as well switch to solid rubber tires with that logic. The tires exist to deform to the road. You should go TL if you are that afraid of pinch flats.

I weigh 145lbs at my heaviest and I ran 45-50psi in my 28mm tires, with tubes. I can probably count on one hand how many times I’ve pinched. And some of those were totally brutal hits.

I’m not gonna command you to run lower pressures because everyone is allowed to have their own opinions and you’re not hurting anyone but yourself.

However, you’re not the only person to ever encounter a pothole and perhaps you should consider why the rest of us don’t just run the max pressure all the time.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 06-18-20, 02:59 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
And I’m 200 pounds and am riding these tires in 23mm width at 80-85 psi with no issues.
Similar here. I’ve taken them off road, hit potholes, no issues. I may be tempting fate here...
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-18-20, 06:51 AM
dr_max

Originally Posted by smashndash
You may as well switch to solid rubber tires with that logic. The tires exist to deform to the road. You should go TL if you are that afraid of pinch flats.

I weigh 145lbs at my heaviest and I ran 45-50psi in my 28mm tires, with tubes. I can probably count on one hand how many times I’ve pinched. And some of those were totally brutal hits.

I’m not gonna command you to run lower pressures because everyone is allowed to have their own opinions and you’re not hurting anyone but yourself.

However, you’re not the only person to ever encounter a pothole and perhaps you should consider why the rest of us don’t just run the max pressure all the time.
have you read studies on the lowest rolling resistance according to the tire diameter?
I give more weight to that than personal opinions or internet experts.
Old 06-18-20, 06:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
have you read studies on the lowest rolling resistance according to the tire diameter?
I give more weight to that than personal opinions or internet experts.
We have. Have you read studies on suspension losses?
Old 06-18-20, 11:26 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Not going to enter the tire psi debate but riding where the road derbies have accumulated only leads to tears and heartache.

Not only is it strewn with trash and debris but gravel can hide sharp road edges or shallow depressions filled with sand and gravel. Drivers treat objects in the gutter of the road, including cyclists and pedestrians, with complete disregard as if they are blind to this part of the road. It’s better to ride out to the left just a bit away from the debris, ideally a few inches to the right of the fog line, even on a very busy road so you have some visibility and don’t risk damaging your tires or sliding out into the road because a gravel patch takes out your front wheel.

If there is no way to avoid riding in the gutter then switch a tire that can take this kind of abuse like Gatorskins, and save the lightweight tires for race day or events.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 06-18-20, 12:37 PM
dr_max

Originally Posted by WhyFi
We have. Have you read studies on suspension losses?

Tyre pressure and rolling resistance

“It is true that the higher the inflation pressure, the lower the rolling resistance of the tyre,” Schwalbe UK’s Dave Taylor says. “It’s also worth pointing out that a tyre’s susceptibility to punctures is lower with high pressures, too. And if the inflation pressure is continuously too low, premature tyre wear is the result, which usually means cracking of the sidewall and unnecessarily high abrasion.””
Old 06-18-20, 12:44 PM
dr_max

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Not going to enter the tire psi debate but riding where the road derbies have accumulated only leads to tears and heartache.

Not only is it strewn with trash and debris but gravel can hide sharp road edges or shallow depressions filled with sand and gravel. Drivers treat objects in the gutter of the road, including cyclists and pedestrians, with complete disregard as if they are blind to this part of the road. It’s better to ride out to the left just a bit away from the debris, ideally a few inches to the right of the fog line, even on a very busy road so you have some visibility and don’t risk damaging your tires or sliding out into the road because a gravel patch takes out your front wheel.

If there is no way to avoid riding in the gutter then switch a tire that can take this kind of abuse like Gatorskins, and save the lightweight tires for race day or events.
“If you have great road conditions and you would like to ride very fast — in a race, for example — inflate to the maximum permitted pressure. Using the example of a 25c tyre, you can reduce rolling resistance by around 10 per cent simply by using 8.5 bar [123psi] instead of 6.5 bar [94psi].””

it’s not even a debate
Old 06-18-20, 12:48 PM
smashndash

Tyre pressure and rolling resistance

“It is true that the higher the inflation pressure, the lower the rolling resistance of the tyre,” Schwalbe UK’s Dave Taylor says. “It’s also worth pointing out that a tyre’s susceptibility to punctures is lower with high pressures, too. And if the inflation pressure is continuously too low, premature tyre wear is the result, which usually means cracking of the sidewall and unnecessarily high abrasion.””
Again, you should ask yourself why we don’t ride on solid rubber or rubber coated steel tires. A steel tire would easily record fewer losses than even a TT tire pumped up to 150 psi. But we don’t use them.

Your excessive sidewall cuts are a) to be expected from the gp 4k but also b) to be expected from a tire run at excessive pressure.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/gravel-ti...all-protection
Old 06-18-20, 12:52 PM
dr_max

Again, you should ask yourself why we don’t ride on solid rubber or rubber coated steel tires. A steel tire would easily record fewer losses than even a TT tire pumped up to 150 psi. But we don’t use them.

Your excessive sidewall cuts are a) to be expected from the gp 4k but also b) to be expected from a tire run at excessive pressure.

lower pressure is worse, it is exposing more sidewalls to the cuts.
as stated in your article

““lower pressures expose more sidewall to cuts. Trends towards wider rims are exposing more tire sidewalls to rocks too, sometimes before the sideknobs would hit. This is a big reason why our gravel tires either have sidewall protection via EXO inserts or bead-to-bead protection via our Silkshield breaker.”
Brown did add that “[l]ower pressures may [also] bottom out on the rim, pinch flatting the tube or tire casing, but higher pressures do not add protection against cuts. Lower pressures will, however, expose more of the sidewall to gravel by flattening out the tread,” before making sure to note that Maxxis’ “Mud Wrestler CX tire also has EXO sidewalls since you never know what you’ll run into in a deep enough mud-hole.” Interesting, and a good note of caution.”
Old 06-18-20, 12:58 PM
dr_max

land the reason we don’t ride in solid rubber or steel tires is for optimal weight/resistance scenario which is best in inflated tires with lower inertia to accelerate and climb hills with a trade off being prone to puncture.

same reason they use carbon frames, the stiffest for the weight, even if they are not the most durable or stiff.

some people would prefer riding stainless steel frames with steel wheels at 15kph and never change parts.
come people would prefer riding carbon frames with rubber inflated tires and change tires during the season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.