Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMC Aluminum ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

BMC Aluminum ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 10:43 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
BMC Aluminum ?

Does anyone have experience with or opinions on BMC's aluminum bike called Teammachine ALR?
Most of BMC's offerings are carbon, but I like the prices of their aluminum models around $1500 and I've been happy enough thus far with my other aluminum bikes that I'm considering this one from BMC, or a CAAD 13.

Everything here is flat with no climbs, so I don't really have the need for carbon based on weight concerns . . . I'm not opposed to carbon, but my unofficial price target is $2000 or less and I'm skeptical of some carbon offerings below $2000.
If were to break my price target, I'm primarily considering Cevelo's R2 (carbon) at approx $2500.
Any insight is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-20, 01:14 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I don't have a Team Machine but I do have an aluminium GF02. I can't fault the ride quality, it's a great bike. My only gripe is the welds aren't as tidy as on some brands.
Old 07-06-20, 05:31 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
I have 3 BMCs, 2 Al and 1 CF. One of the Al bikes is the ALR. Bang for the buck, it is one of the best bikes one can buy, IMHO. It is light enough, rigid enough, does not rattle your fillings out like some earlier Al frames, handles quite nicely but would not be my first choice when going out on 5 plus hour rides as it is less forgiving than some other frames.
Old 07-07-20, 09:17 AM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Thanks guys for your insights on BMC !