Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hamstring tension while cycling

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-06-20, 11:04 AM
Jkpower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’ve been having issues the past while with getting extreme tension and fatigue in my hamstrings (and to a lesser extent calves) while riding, but with pretty much no fatigue or tension in my quads.

ive gotten my bike professionally fitted, and have played around with a variety of different seat heights, setbacks, stack heights, etc and nothing seems to help. Have also moved the cleats on my shoes all the way back and played around with different configurations there.

This tension is extremely irritating - the only way to relieve it is to stop peddling for a few seconds and then continue on a couple minutes, stop, etc etc. It usually happens around 20-30 minutes into a ride and persists the rest of the ride.

the only time I really feel tension in my quads while riding is if I push my power output close to the max - otherwise it seems like I’m always just riding 100% with my hamstrings and calves which puts me in the situation described above.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-06-20, 11:12 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Start stretching your hamstrings and hip flexors.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-06-20, 11:22 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
The hamstrings and glutes are the main cycling muscles and you're just working muscles that are untrained. If you scoot back on the saddle you can mix in a little of the quads for relief at a lower cadence and taller gear. Or stand out of the saddle bit.
Old 07-06-20, 02:39 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Standing out of the saddle like strider stated works for me to mix up the muscles worked. Sometimes it can be the thing you would least think......and never rule out your shoes as the culprit causing you to somehow compensate in your ride style to work those particular muscles.
Old 07-12-20, 05:21 PM
Jkpower

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll give all of these a go!
Old 07-12-20, 08:36 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
The hamstrings and glutes are the main cycling muscles
And quads are not?
Good bike fit should have solved such issues if you had them before. Or introduced them - as it did for me. Fitter moved my saddle forward and down by quite a lot and this caused the load to be distributed better among all different muscle groups which made me more comfortable and faster overall but calves (and to some extent hamstrings) are still very sore after good rides even now, few weeks later, even though it becomes less and less of an issue as the muscles become stronger. It seems that these changes shifted some load from quads into calves and hamstrings (or allowed them to be involved more with the pedaling) and they were not ready. Anyway, IMHO as you paid for a bike fit, your fitter should address your concerns.
Old 07-13-20, 12:03 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
hammys have only ever been an issue here when doing 400+ miles a week with lots of climbing. back of the legs are as taut as piano wire.
will still climb decently tho and no cramping during or post-ride. so, actually, they haven't been an "issue" but they've been noticed whereas they're
usually on the dl...
Old 07-13-20, 12:06 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
The hamstrings and glutes are the main cycling muscles and you're just working muscles that are untrained. If you scoot back on the saddle you can mix in a little of the quads for relief at a lower cadence and taller gear. Or stand out of the saddle bit.
How do you define "main"? The quads are also very important.
Old 07-13-20, 08:27 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
How do you define "main"? The quads are also very important.
adjective
  1. chief in size or importance.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-28-20, 04:57 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I have chronic hamstring problems. It's a pretty common side effect of working at a desk all day, which tends to shorten your hammies. I stretch them a lot, but it never seems to be enough. The only thing that helps alleviate the problem at all for me is to ride easy to moderate for about the first 10-20 minutes of my ride at a high cadence to get nice and warm, and then stop and get off the bike and do some serious stretching. It helps a lot most days, but it's still an on-going battle.

If your bike is fit properly, the only thing I can think of is to look at your foot/pedal position. If you are pointing your toes too far down (or up), that could impact your hamstrings.

Finally, try to ride in a lower gear at a higher cadence to the extent that's practical. Mashing the gears is much harder on the hamstrings.
Old 07-29-20, 04:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Try some supplements for a couple of weeks, see if they help any. I had persistent cramps and muscle spasms in my quads, hamstrings, calves and arches. So I've tried all kinds of stuff.

Bike fit, natch. You've done that.

Ditto shoes. I discovered I need rigid soled shoes to minimize spasms, especially in the arches. But I use ProFoot Miracle insoles to soften the rigidity just enough to prevent metatarsal hotspots and circulation problems.

So I added supplements, one at a time, to evaluate the effects. For me, creatine and magnesium lactate work the best. And I use electrolytes in almost every bottle of water, although I tend to dilute them quite a bit more than recommended -- one packet for 24 oz rather than 8-12 oz. Really cut back on the cramps, burning and premature muscle fatigue.

Stretching is controversial. I do it, but only because it feels good. Studies show it may actually degrade performance. But for a typical ride I'm not concerned about maximum performance. Just getting through the ride is a win.

After most hard rides and workouts I use a rolling pin and percussion massager on my legs -- quads, hamstrings, calves, arches. Really helps. Some folks prefer cooldown or recovery rides. I do those too, but I also benefit from the rolling pin and percussion massager. Foam rollers are too awkward. I have one but rarely use it. A heavy marble rolling pin is my favorite bit of post workout gear.
Old 07-29-20, 05:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I need to stretch both my Achilles and hamstrings daily. When I went to PT, I could have bought the foam blocks they had but instead made virtually identical out of wood, Really easy! A length of 2x4 and same length of 1x4, Screw or nail the 1x4 to the 2x4 making an (actual) 2 1/4 x 3 x 1/2. Take a plane and bevel the top (3 1/2" wide) surface with a bevel ~3,4: wide and 1/4" deep on both edges. Now cut into (say) 7" lengths for one leg at a time, 24" for both at once.

I crouch as low as possible, leaning over my knee with the ball of my foot on the block for about 90 seconds, then stand straight leg and bend forward, trying to push my leg and butt as far back as possible, then repeat with my other leg. (I do it while grinding gourmet coffee. 900 turns.) Since I started doing this I rarely have had any issues riding, despite decades of chondromalacia. The chondromalacia has meant I have had to stretch my hamstrings the past 40 years. 8 years ago I partially tore both Achilles.
Old 07-29-20, 07:15 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Originally Posted by canklecat

After most hard rides and workouts I use a rolling pin and percussion massager on my legs -- quads, hamstrings, calves, arches. Really helps. Some folks prefer cooldown or recovery rides. I do those too, but I also benefit from the rolling pin and percussion massager. Foam rollers are too awkward. I have one but rarely use it. A heavy marble rolling pin is my favorite bit of post workout gear.
Would a percussive massager help with chronic hamstring tightness? I'm considering buying one. If it would help my hams, it's worth almost any amount of money!
Old 07-30-20, 03:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Would a percussive massager help with chronic hamstring tightness? I'm considering buying one. If it would help my hams, it's worth almost any amount of money!
Sure helps ease my tense neck and shoulder muscles. My neck (C1-C2) was broken in a car wreck almost 20 years ago, and reinjured when I was hit by a car while I was riding my bike in 2018, along with broken and dislocated shoulder. Some muscles were so tight they felt like barbed wire embedded in flesh. Chiropractors didn't help. I didn't want to keep taking prescription pain relievers and muscle relaxers, even though I have valid prescriptions. They make me groggy and I know I'm better off staying active.

At first the pain was so intense there were spots about the size of a dime along my shoulder, neck and spine that felt like electric jolts from any contact harder than a gentle touch. It eased up with regular use of the percussion massager and some topical analgesics (CBD balm and Ted's Pain Cream worked for me, other stuff didn't work as well). At first I did two or three sessions a day. Now I do maybe one a day, sometimes only a few times a week.

A friend has an old Brookstone kneading massager with multiple knobs that squiggle around, almost as good as the large table based doodads at some chiropractic clinics. But I couldn't find one online. As Amazon and Google do in response to our searches (assuming we enable tracking) several product suggestions came up, including some long handled percussion massagers.

I wasn't sure whether it would help so I bought an inexpensive one for around $25. I've almost worn it out since last year. It has two knobs about the size of golf balls, spaced enough to massage either side of my spine or shoulder blades without hitting bone. I've used it so much it's no longer really a percussion massager and mostly just a vigorous vibrator now. But I'll probably buy a better quality percussion massager soon.

It also works on my legs, although the cramps and tightness in my legs have never been nearly as bad as the neck and shoulder tightness and pain.
Old 07-30-20, 06:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I stretch every morning, starting with these stretches: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post15372967
and also maybe every 50 miles if they seem to need it.

I did a good bit of back, ham, and glute work for years at the gym - until March.

For calves, there's nothing like a set of 30 one-legged calf raises on a stair, full range of motion.
Old 07-31-20, 03:46 AM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Try yoga for any stretching and strengthening. It has helped me a lot since I have gotten back to cycling.
Old 07-31-20, 06:09 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
The other thing I wonder is if you are new to this, just conditioning as we say. Get those muscles use to the exercise you are performing.
Old 07-31-20, 11:32 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
On the latest installment of Francis Cade’s Bike Fit Tuesday, his fitter friend said that incorrect saddle height could be a cause of hamstring issues.
Old 08-01-20, 01:04 AM
mattcalifornia

Originally Posted by colnago62
On the latest installment of Francis Cade’s Bike Fit Tuesday, his fitter friend said that incorrect saddle height could be a cause of hamstring issues.
Maybe -- but the number one cause of hamstring problems is sitting for long hours -- at a desk, on the couch, in the car, on a plane, wherever. When you're sitting, you're hamstrings shorten up. It's an extremely common problem.
Old 08-01-20, 05:04 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Maybe -- but the number one cause of hamstring problems is sitting for long hours -- at a desk, on the couch, in the car, on a plane, wherever. When you're sitting, you're hamstrings shorten up. It's an extremely common problem.
He doesn’t mention sitting a lot. According to Bike Fit Tuesday, most male riders have their saddles too high. He also mentioned that a lot of bike fitters set them incorrectly too high. If sitting too much is not an issue, it could be something to look at.
Old 08-01-20, 10:55 AM
mattcalifornia

Originally Posted by colnago62
He doesn’t mention sitting a lot. According to Bike Fit Tuesday, most male riders have their saddles too high. He also mentioned that a lot of bike fitters set them incorrectly too high. If sitting too much is not an issue, it could be something to look at.
He doesn't mention it, but most people in modern society spends way too many hours sitting. But I agree, fit is also worth considering.
Old 08-02-20, 09:27 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jkpower
I’ve been having issues the past while with getting extreme tension and fatigue in my hamstrings (and to a lesser extent calves) while riding, but with pretty much no fatigue or tension in my quads.

ive gotten my bike professionally fitted, and have played around with a variety of different seat heights, setbacks, stack heights, etc and nothing seems to help. Have also moved the cleats on my shoes all the way back and played around with different configurations there.

This tension is extremely irritating - the only way to relieve it is to stop peddling for a few seconds and then continue on a couple minutes, stop, etc etc. It usually happens around 20-30 minutes into a ride and persists the rest of the ride.

the only time I really feel tension in my quads while riding is if I push my power output close to the max - otherwise it seems like I’m always just riding 100% with my hamstrings and calves which puts me in the situation described above.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Been there. Mine disappeared after reducing my saddle height by a small margin (~2cm).
Old 08-03-20, 12:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Reminds me, I may need to lower my saddle a bit. I took a few weeks off the road bike to overhaul it and replace the stem (from 90mm to 110mm), rear wheel (two had cracked rims, the third needs a hub overhaul), saddle, etc. So for three weeks I was riding my favorite hybrid with platform pedals, swept bars and very different bike fit.

By the time I resumed riding the road bike this weekend after 3 weeks, the fit felt a bit different. The saddle is slightly more padded, and I put on new Look Delta cleats. The old cleats were nearly three years old and very worn. Between the new cleats, saddle and stem, things felt a bit odd. And I had hamstring cramps while napping, first time in months. I'll try lowering the seat post maybe 1/4".
Old 08-03-20, 01:27 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Reminds me, I may need to lower my saddle a bit. I took a few weeks off the road bike to overhaul it and replace the stem (from 90mm to 110mm), rear wheel (two had cracked rims, the third needs a hub overhaul), saddle, etc. So for three weeks I was riding my favorite hybrid with platform pedals, swept bars and very different bike fit.

By the time I resumed riding the road bike this weekend after 3 weeks, the fit felt a bit different. The saddle is slightly more padded, and I put on new Look Delta cleats. The old cleats were nearly three years old and very worn. Between the new cleats, saddle and stem, things felt a bit odd. And I had hamstring cramps while napping, first time in months. I'll try lowering the seat post maybe 1/4".
Though if your stem is 20mm longer you're probably riding a bit more bent forward, which likely is asking more of your hamstrings.
Old 08-03-20, 02:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by drewguy
Though if your stem is 20mm longer you're probably riding a bit more bent forward, which likely is asking more of your hamstrings.
Yup, I'll probably end up chasing my own tail trying to "fix" a problem that may be resolved just by riding the bike as-is and gradually adapting to the slightly different setup.