Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Recommends?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Recommends?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-20, 03:25 AM
RichLiv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommends?

Just looking for advice here. So, after years of talking about it and my encouragement, my wife is now keen to get an electric hybrid. She's 55 and very unfit so electric is an ideal route in. What she wants is something that she can ride with me at home around the rolling north Somerset countryside and in our holiday home in the Pyrenees;not a racing style bike with drops but a flat handle bar hybrid, something we could do some longer distance touring on too possibly.

So, it needs to have enough battery oomph to do a fifty mile round trip over a small mountain pass involving a 14km col of between 4 and 10% gradient each side, and comfortably.

I think this is doable with something like this Cube/Bosch combo (it won't let me post the URL)

ACCESS HYBRID

Pro 500

Any thoughts would be welcome.

For myself, I'm a fit road cyclist used to cycling in the mountains without power assistance so evening up the difference would work pretty well.

Last edited by RichLiv; 05-31-20 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 05:01 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Two thoughts:
Try to rent a couple styles. There are any number of designs( rear hub, center drive) in a variety of styles- atb, fat bike, hybrid and even road.

It sounds like your needs are significant. Mountain passes with those grades, I would suggest a center drive unit. Better torque applications,
better weight distribution and generally a better engineered design.

Avoid cheap (Chinese) because it will be more expensive in the long run.
Avoid a front drive unit for control reasons.

Good luck,
rusty
Old 05-31-20, 01:21 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
As above, the needs you delineate suggest a mid-drive. No matter what you hear, your wife will be happy with any of the big OEM's (Haibike, Specialized, Trek ......).Look for a big battery (600 wh+).
Old 05-31-20, 03:53 PM
eKabuki

Bikes: Pedego Interceptor 26", Schwinn Santis with a rear hub direct drive conversion. Cannondale Quick 4.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might be wise to look for an ebike dealer to rent in Spain with an option to purchase to see if it would handle those requirements before buying one in GB and it not being up to task and beyond any return window.
Old 06-11-20, 08:11 AM
RichLiv

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the ideas, people. Not much chance of hiring a bike in Spain right now as travel in Europe has mostly stopped. But it's a good idea.

The one I thought would be good is

www dot wiggle dot com forwardslash cube-access-hybrid-pro-500-275-e-bike-2020

which is 500w and a little on the heavy side (22kg) for the price so I might look a bit further
Old 06-11-20, 03:59 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
My Verve + 2 from Trek is 51 pounds and not powerful enough and not with enough range for your request. That's around $2,500 in the Mid US. Maybe the one step higher Bosch mid drive would do the trick for you. Be Well, Bluesfrog.