Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can a pedal be un-removable? Schwinn Letour 3

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-15-20, 04:39 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts

I tried to help a neighbor who had broken a pedal on his Schwinn Letour 3 (it appears to be a very cheap bicycle). It was broken where the axle enters the pedal. I put my biggest wrench, a 12-incher, on it. Neither of us could make it budge. It's an alloy crank. The pedal looks to be screwed into the crank arm. I've been replacing my own pedals for 50 years, so I know how to do it.
Old 04-15-20, 04:48 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I tried to help a neighbor who had broken a pedal on his Schwinn Letour 3 (it appears to be a very cheap bicycle). It was broken where the axle enters the pedal. I put my biggest wrench, a 12-incher, on it. Neither of us could make it budge. It's an alloy crank. The pedal looks to be screwed into the crank arm. I've been replacing my own pedals for 50 years, so I know how to do it.
And you're certain you didn't have the LH crank and were tightening it?
Heat it a little with a torch to break it free.
Old 04-15-20, 04:57 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
And you're certain you didn't have the LH crank and were tightening it?
Heat it a little with a torch to break it free.
Even better, heat it with a heat gun and spray some Loctite Freeze and Release spray on the back side where the other end is. As it cools the release lube will get sucked into the thread.
Old 04-15-20, 05:05 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Before you do the heat/cold treatments, spray some Kano Kroil or PB Blaster on liberally, tap the end of the pedal axle with a hammer to get it started soaking in, and wait overnight or longer for it to do its magic.
And make certain that you are turning the right direction, left pedal is left-handed threaded.
Old 04-15-20, 05:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Before you do the heat/cold treatments, spray some Kano Kroil or PB Blaster on liberally, tap the end of the pedal axle with a hammer to get it started soaking in, and wait overnight or longer for it to do its magic.
And make certain that you are turning the right direction, left pedal is left-handed threaded.
The idea is to "ring" it, not smash it. I use the box end of an old 7/16-5/8" wrench and use quick, light taps. Wrench size varies with part size.
The vibration helps the oil to migrate to where it needs to go. Apparently, the "ringing" assists the capillary action of the oil.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 04-15-20 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 06:56 PM
Arthur Peabody

I know how to deal with stuck threads. I know how pedals are threaded. I noticed another neighbor had left the frame of a junked bike out for the trash. I removed its pedals easily. My question stands unanswered.
Old 04-15-20, 07:00 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
If push comes to shove there's always the drill. Use a dull bit and it'll heat it up at the same time. I have quite a few dull bits if you need one...
Old 04-15-20, 07:04 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
I know how to deal with stuck threads. I know how pedals are threaded. I noticed another neighbor had left the frame of a junked bike out for the trash. I removed its pedals easily. My question stands unanswered.
If you don't mention it, we gotta ask if you know the left pedal is lefty-tighty.

You say you know how to deal with stuck threads. You say you know how to do it. Some people have good suggestions and you've tossed them aside. What else have you tried besides your biggest wrench?

To answer your question, yes, it's possible for a pedal to be unremovable.
Old 04-15-20, 07:28 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
In 15 years of working in bike stores, I only ever encountered one pedal that almost beat me. Ended up extending a 12-inch adjustable wrench with a Park frame straightener tool. It's surprising what a difference four feet of persuasion can make.

That tool happened to be handy, but you can probably extemporize something providing similar leverage. My rule: whatever you need to solve some seemingly impossible mechanical problem is within ten paces of where you're standing.

In fact, come to think of it, just a week ago I was fooling around at home, trying to back a Campagnolo Ultra-Torque bottom bracket cup out of a frame. That cup was as immovable as the pedal had been. So I took the bike off my Aldi repair stand, pulled off the top part of the stand, and stuck that pipe over the handle of a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench. I thought the ratchet would give first, but the cup finally started turning. Success.

Last edited by Trakhak; 04-15-20 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 08:04 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
You didn’t actually ask a question in your OP. To answer the thread title: There is no doubt that the pedal can be removed. The crank or pedal may not be salvageable, but the pedal CAN be removed.
Old 04-15-20, 08:05 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by Bigbus
If push comes to shove there's always the drill.
This won't work if the pedal is bonded (welded?) into the crank arm.

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
If you don't mention it, we gotta ask if you know the left pedal is lefty-tighty.
I've been changing pedals for 50 years, both left and right. As I mentioned in my second message, I removed both pedals of another bike a few minutes later.

You say you know how to deal with stuck threads. You say you know how to do it. Some people have good suggestions and you've tossed them aside. What else have you tried besides your biggest wrench?
It's the owner's call. He had to go. I don't want to promise him that I'll succeed when I can't. We're not friends, just neighbors. He's 45 years younger, so we may not read each other well.

yes, it's possible for a pedal to be unremovable.
In the sense that it was made that way, rather than corroded on?

Originally Posted by Trakhak
In 15 years of working in bike stores, I only ever encountered one pedal that almost beat me.
These are bikes people bring into shops. This fellow is riding around with 1 pedal, seems to think that's okay. I think he'll ride on 1 pedal, or junk it, before he takes it to a shop. It's a throwaway bike. Some cranks are made so you can't remove the chain rings. Some hubs are made so you can't remove the cogs.
Old 04-15-20, 08:13 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Some cranks are made so you can't remove the chain rings. Some hubs are made so you can't remove the cogs.
Ah, I understand your question now. No - all pedals are removable. I am certain that no pedal was ever permanently fixed on the crank arm by design. Especially one with wrench flats.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 04-15-20, 08:15 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
In the sense that it was made that way, rather than corroded on?
It wasn't made that way. Most likely a galvanic reaction between the steel pedal spindle and the alloy crank arm. Or possibly corrosion, but I doubt the oxidation of the spindle would prevent removing it with brute force. Galvanizing can be the equivalent of welding, i.e., a four foot cheater bar isn't going to remove it without snapping it off.
Old 04-15-20, 08:15 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
If they were installed, they can be removed. I made a video a few years ago with some tips and tricks that might be helpful for stuck pedal removal.

Old 04-15-20, 09:23 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I had a tough one a year ago and iced the pedal axle for ten minutes and it came off fairly easily. This was after using a 4 pound hammer and a heat gun that couldn't get it off.
Old 04-15-20, 09:36 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
I had a Schwinn Le Tour III years ago. Decent enough bike for its time.

As with all Schwinn bicycles from that decade the pedals were removable. I assembled hundreds of Schwinn bikes when I worked in the local shop and every single one required installation of the pedals.

Schwinn bikes back then had the occasional quirky part but the pedals were absolutely standard.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-15-20, 09:42 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Picture?
Old 04-15-20, 09:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Ah, I understand your question now. No - all pedals are removable. I am certain that no pedal was ever permanently fixed on the crank arm by design. Especially one with wrench flats.
I wouldn't put it beyond someone welding a pedal spindle into a steel crank arm. But, that is less likely with a steel spindle and aluminum crank arm.

If the pedal is broken and non-repairable, I'd go by the theory of nothing you can do can make it worse.

Perhaps put the crank arm in a vise and use a cheater, or even a really large pipe wrench.