Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Geometry Workshop (Software)

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 04-19-20, 04:14 PM
t_c

Bikes: Cinelli Tipo Pista, Neglected Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
I have a personal software project I thought people around here might find useful/interesting. This started out as a winter project and as a test bed for some UI and other work. This project lets you overlay frames and complete bikes with a virtual rider (AKA "Stickman"). The idea was that you could test virtual configurations with different frames and/or components and see what it does to the riding position. I did try to capture and output what I thought was useful information/analysis, but I'm not a bike fitter, I'm just a typist...

So, I'm new here and just found I can't post links (or the screenshot) so that makes this a post little awkward (hopefully some kind soul with more points than I can post proper links when you figure out I'm not trying to mess with anyone ). For now, just replace the text in brackets or go to github: my user name is studiotc and the project is BicycleGeometryWorkshop. Sorry for the pseudo links...

The project is at github: github[dot com][slash]studiotc[slash]BicycleGeometryWorkshop

You can download a zip file from the project dist folder here:
github[dot com][slash]studiotc[slash]BicycleGeometryWorkshop[slash]tree[slash]master[slash]dist
(Rudimentary help files are included in the zip.)

It's a Java project (there is no installer), so just unpack the zip and run the .jar from the folder and it should be fine. I have only tested this on a WIN10 Machine, but I've had good success (no problems) running my Java projects a Mac in the past. I haven't tested this specific project on Mac or Linux though. If you run into any problems let me know and I will do my best to address them. My life is getting busy again, so I'm not going to have much time to devote to this project in the future (Forking is encouraged for interested parties).

Cheers,
Tom
Old 04-20-20, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I've gone through the pains and a lot of time to simply sketch out my different bike geometries in CAD programs and 3D modelers. So yeah... a tool like what you are describing is probably going to be useful.

A lot of us though just don't download and install things any more. Did you consider if there was a alternative browser option that you could host on a website? Possibly with .net framework which tends to be more accepted than java stuff. And if you host on your own site, then you can possibly add advertising and get some revenue.

Perhaps I'm a minority, but you'd be surprised how many apps I don't have on my smartphone, much less how often I'm willing to download at a whim a program to my PC or Mac as willingly as I did 10 or 20 years ago.
Old 04-20-20, 01:00 PM
t_c

Bikes: Cinelli Tipo Pista, Neglected Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, maybe I'm a little behind the times on people's attitudes towards downloading programs, and that's fair, but I'll spare you the discourse on why I don't regard the web browser as an application layer . I work in Java because I like the fact that it runs cross platform with minimal fuss and I'm not sure where .Net is at these days in that regard (Modo comes to mind). I hear it's improved, but I haven't followed along. I'm also not interested in making any money off of this.

There is no installer in case you missed that part.

Cheers,
Tom