Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Improve older bike or get a new one?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-24-20, 11:30 PM
badasbiker

Bikes: 1999 Orange Schwinn Heavy Duti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I am pretty dumb about bikes, but love them and want to learn. I want to get out on the road again but my bike has been sitting for 15 years, and I have gained a significant amount of weight since I have become disabled with arthritis. My doctor said cycling would be good for me and I enjoy it as stress relief. I was wondering if anything could be done to improve my current bike so that I can ride it at my high weight, or if i need to look for another bike.

My bike, a 1999 Schwinn Heavy Duti, a beautiful orange one that I got at a bike store, seems to have a pretty heavy steel frame (I would have to ask my dad about the welding on it) and big balloon tires. I think a spoke has fallen out of the wheel. Would the frame hold up under my weight, and what wheels could I get that would support me? I am 5'8" and would like a bike to support 400 pounds of rider and luggage. I am on a limited budget and don't want to have to buy a worksmen cycle, so my funds are limit to fix up this bike or get a used one. I probably have around $400 to play with. I also have a Schwinn Meridian trike, whose weight limit is 300 lbs. but I don't know if it is junk or not, since everyone says Schwinns are crap these days.

Thank you for your time. I would go to a bike shop but am pretty concerned about COVID and being around people. I desperately need to get out of my apartment and enjoy nature for stress relief!!! :-)

Last edited by badasbiker; 04-25-20 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Old 04-25-20, 03:03 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Frame & fork are likely to hold up. Not so sure about the wheels. Current spec says single-wall rims. I have some concerns about the rear hub. Today, coaster brake hubs tend to be quite low quality.
Not sure how they would hold up. On a vintage hub, I wouldn’t have worried. Plenty of people rode double on Dutch bikes and Townies w/o failures.
I think there are some internal gear hubs that are OK for tandem use. Those could build up to a rear wheel for you.
Next is, how you’re going to stop? Using only one brake isn’t a great idea.
Old 04-25-20, 03:57 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Don't ride a bike with a broken spoke, as more will break fairly rapidly.

You could ride the trike fairly slowly, and see if something breaks. If something breaks at high speed, it may cause injury. If you stay on smooth roads, it is less likely to break. If you find it doesn't break, you can keep using it. If it breaks, you will find out.
Likes For alo:
Old 04-25-20, 04:16 AM
Tony P.

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Only around 1% of bikes today are designed to handle 400lbs so the odds on finding one to accommodate you are low, particularly with your budget limit. I'd guess it's extraordinarily unlikely you'll find one used for sale near you. I agree generally with the earlier post by dabac. Get some double-walled rims. To spread the load try for rims with holes for 40 or more spokes. A rim for 40 spokes is referred to as 40H, meaning 40 holes. You can either get rims and spokes separately or find a finished wheel. All in you should be able to upgrade for around $200.

You're correct about the weight limit on the tryke. Weight limits are there for a reason and I take them at their word.

Last edited by Tony P.; 04-25-20 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-25-20, 06:45 AM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
Weight limits are there for a reason and I take them at their word.
I have ridden bike where I am over the official weight limit. Some bikes have gone more than 2 years on rough trails before breaking spokes in the back wheel.

The thing to be aware of, if you do have a failure at high speed, it may result in injury. So be careful.

So I suggest, ride the trike slowly, try to stick to smooth roads, and see what happens. Because it has an extra wheel, only half as much weight is on each wheel. It may last for a long time. I have not seen it. You can tell a lot about a bike by looking at it.

In the mean time, save money when you can. If it goes for some time, then eventually fails, having more money will be beneficial.
Old 04-25-20, 08:44 PM
badasbiker

Bikes: 1999 Orange Schwinn Heavy Duti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for your input, which I appreciate and am grateful for. I was hoping it would be some improvements that I could do to learn about fixing bikes. I have been wanting a worksman bike for a while though, and I am telling myself in for a penny, in for a pound. So I might order one so I can be completely confident that it will be safe. If I fell while riding I would probably break a bone or dislocate something. So spending the extra money might save on hospital bills. :-) I guess I could go to a bike shop and order a worksman. There is a bike shop in a neighboring town that has group rides in better times and I am hoping to find a community of cyclist to join who won't make fun of me. And $1000 isn't so much when I think of the health benefits of cycling. Thanks again. Reading your thoughts has convinced me that I need to not take safety for granted. :-)