Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tubus grand expedition front rack?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-21-20, 05:51 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts

Anyone try the tubus grand expedition front rack? I would like to attempt to tour with a front rack and seat bag. I think i can manage with 2 large panniers but choosing the rack is the issue.https://www.google.com/search?q=tubu...obile&ie=UTF-8
Old 05-21-20, 11:35 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
No experience, but Tubus is a good brand, it should satisfy your needs. Be aware of the weight capacity and also be careful with having all cargo weight at the front of the bike, it may affect handling dangerously.
I am curious though, why do you not want a rear rack?
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-22-20, 07:31 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
No experience, but you can get some specifics here.

I chose the Surly Front Rack 2.0 over the Tubus G.E. because of the Surly's 70 lbs capacity. The Surly also weighs approx 50-percent more, but my intended use is 50/50, touring/utility.

Last edited by Nyah; 05-22-20 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 05-22-20, 07:49 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by MarcusT
No experience, but Tubus is a good brand, it should satisfy your needs. Be aware of the weight capacity and also be careful with having all cargo weight at the front of the bike, it may affect handling dangerously.
I am curious though, why do you not want a rear rack?
typically i tour on a bob jackson with a tubus tara and a fly. It all works beautifully and i enjoy the experience. Lately for a lark i built up an old miyata 912 as a 650b experiment. I have a small front rack on it and was wanting to try some overnighters on it. Its a quick light bike and might be a fun way to tour. Rear racks wouldnt work well because of heel strike but it handles well on grocery runs. I have totally filled 2 large brooks panniers with heavy groceries and when the load is balanced its nice. When radically unbalanced its still plenty doable. I am going to try an overnighter as is sunday and see how it goes.

Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-22-20, 11:32 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Understood.
The Miyata reminds me of the older road bikes with tight "criterium" geometry.
Old 05-23-20, 05:46 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by MarcusT
Understood.
The Miyata reminds me of the older road bikes with tight "criterium" geometry.
it is an 81 912, so nearly a racing bike in its day. It rides no hands very easily and with a full load on front it works very well but i worry that the little rack may not hold up. I ordered the tubus grand expedition from the bike shop i work at yesterday. I get a hefty discount and if it doesnt work on this bike it will work on another.
i just really enjoy grocery runs on the miyata and want to try and expand its range.
Old 05-29-20, 03:11 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Tubus quality, very nice!
Old 05-30-20, 01:44 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Wow, those low riders are pretty darn low. How does that loaded setup in the photo ride? Do your feet ever contact the panniers?

Last edited by Nyah; 05-30-20 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 08:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Wow, those low riders are pretty darn low. How does that loaded setup in the photo ride? Do your feet ever contact the panniers?
your feet ever touch your front mudguard, Its Closer..
Pannier Mass centered over the wheel will steady the steering but nor resist balancing..

Just be forewarned that headlight sticking out there is vulnerable to breaking.. Maybe get someone to make a steel guard to protect it..

Packing bikes at the western end of the tours, in the LBS, I've seen several broken (expensive) B&M headlights.
the all aluminum housing Schmidt fare better..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-31-20 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 08:17 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
The only problem with low front panniers is high kerbs, you have to be careful when you pull up otherwise you wear the bottom out or get holes in the panniers. I have higher ones than that and I have to patch them regularly.
That low will be a PITA at traffic lights, you'll have to get right out from the kerb and stand with you feet on the road, not one foot on the kerb.
Old 06-01-20, 03:04 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

The bags were fine for the 120 mile overnighter i just did. I did brush against one cirb and bumped my toe a couple of times but i adjusted them further forward and all was well. It was absolutely fabulous in terms of handling.
Old 06-01-20, 03:07 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Rock island trail near toulon

Old 06-01-20, 09:29 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Nice report on the Tubus Grand Expedition...I hadn't heard of it before. So it works nicely for 52telecaster's purpose & for long-distance 4-pannier loaded touring I think the platform would be nice for lashing tent or sleeping bag. My front panniers are smaller but when stopping at curbs I just have to remember to keep a bit more distance but can still rest a foot on the curb when stopped. The Tubus isn't cheap but the Surly & Nitto equivalents aren't cheap either.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 06-02-20, 01:58 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Nice report on the Tubus Grand Expedition...I hadn't heard of it before. So it works nicely for 52telecaster's purpose & for long-distance 4-pannier loaded touring I think the platform would be nice for lashing tent or sleeping bag. My front panniers are smaller but when stopping at curbs I just have to remember to keep a bit more distance but can still rest a foot on the curb when stopped. The Tubus isn't cheap but the Surly & Nitto equivalents aren't cheap either.
if i run my small bags on it they dont hit the curbs, the rack can be adjusted some height wise but i like it low and close and it seems really stable that way.