Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Would you NOT recommend your bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Would you NOT recommend your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20, 03:31 PM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Ridley

I don’t know if it counts if it was my brother in law’s bike, but I would NOT recommend a Ridley (Fenix). I only rode it for a couple hours so feel free to disregard but the bike had no compliance at all, and offered no noticeable speed benefit. I have never enjoyed a ride less.
Old 03-13-20, 03:37 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I don’t know if it counts if it was my brother in law’s bike, but I would NOT recommend a Ridley (Fenix). I only rode it for a couple hours so feel free to disregard but the bike had no compliance at all, and offered no noticeable speed benefit. I have never enjoyed a ride less.
I concur. I was issued a Ridley Noah back in the day and couldn't ride it for more than 3 hours without my body aching from the unforgiving ride. Great crit bike, awful road bike.
Old 03-13-20, 04:10 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
I always recommend at least hopping on a Softride to see what they're like.
Old 03-13-20, 06:02 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I had a Tesch s-22, new in 1991. Oversized, heavy gauge steel, short wheelbase and steep head tube with straight blade steel fork. 24 pounds or so, would not fit a tire bigger than 23. The most amazing handling bike or motorcycle I've ever ridden. Also, the stiffest, most brutal ride ever. Much more harsh than a CAAD5 I had.

I have a Gunnar which I would recommend for someone looking for a smooth riding steel bike.
Old 03-14-20, 07:57 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
Originally Posted by Cypress
I concur. I was issued a Ridley Noah back in the day and couldn't ride it for more than 3 hours without my body aching from the unforgiving ride. Great crit bike, awful road bike.
Might be a trait of Ridleys. I demoed a Ridley Dean for part of a season, and found it to have a very jarring ride.. The bike was beautiful, but my Cervelo P3 was much smoother.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-14-20, 11:53 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I love my road bike.

However, I'm a bit more mixed about my gravel bike - a Blue Prosecco AL (an older version, which was marketed specifically for gravel.) The components are fine - Shimano 105 5800 (nice!) and perfectly functional mech disc brakes. It seems heavy (though given what I paid for it, that is expected.) I'd prefer wider tire clearance for actual gravel. This is probably specific to my tastes, but I'm not a fan of the crazy-high stack.

So, I'd recommend it for someone who wants a reasonably-priced, overbuilt endurance road bike with a fairly upright position with good components and room for 700x32 road tires. Sadly, that person is not me, though I'll keep it for the occasional gravel ride until I can upgrade.
Old 03-14-20, 08:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I test rode a Ridley Fenix and came away with the same impression.
Old 03-15-20, 10:27 AM
Equinox

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I would not recommend my bike. it was built to my specifications and I wanted it to be my dream bike. However it was build so that the only tire I can fit on it is a 23mm tire. I would like to have a 25mm or 28mm tire mostly because of the terrible deterioration of my roads and the change in philosophy as it apples to wider tires and rolling resistance. No. I would not recommend my bike.
Old 03-19-20, 06:23 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
I retuned my old bikes from the 1980's and it wasn't worth it. Just the odd brake, tire and various other spare part sizes and specs made it more expensive and difficult to find and the bikes themselves are heavy dogs to ride that won't get out of their way. It was well over $200 to tune one of them and get it going, far more than it would have been for a newer bike.

I paid about $700 sales tax and all fees out the door for a $950 Salsa Journeman flat bar at a year end closeout sale recently. That bike is so much better in so many ways and encourages me to ride more than my old rust buckets. And going forward the expense of keeping it on the road will be less it will pay for itself in not that many years. Also if you ride a lot a higher quality bike will last longer and need less money for repairs to keep it on the road (caliper vs disc brakes etc).

It's just like a car, there's a point that an old rust bucket becomes so aggravating and expensive that it's just cheaper to buy a new(er) vehicle. All bets are off if you have to park outside. Then an old junker is better as it's less likely to get stolen!

Last edited by Attilio; 03-19-20 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 08:28 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
As a follow up especially after having tried and loved new 2019 model bike and seen how much better it was than my 1980's vintage bikes the thought came to my mind is that there is no such thing as a bad bike.

Maybe as others have said a highly specialized, custom build bike that is really good at one thing but comes with various pitfalls might not be recommended but that goes with everything that is so angular, limited in appeal, expensive and focused. As a whole, I think most modern general purpose road, gravel or hybrid bikes are so amazingly good even starting at the lower price ranges that it's hard to go wrong no matter what you buy.
Old 03-19-20, 12:26 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I've had my Canyon Ultimate over 3 years now, quite an investment
in kit, but it's working out great
Every ride is more enjoyable than the last
Just keep falling in love with it
Perfect machine for me

Rode in driving rain up in Solvang last weekend, and the ride on TL, and disk brakes is unreal
Very confidence inspiring
Size small, 6.7kg

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 03-19-20 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For RedBullFiXX:
Old 03-19-20, 04:33 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I fell out of love with my bike

2016 Felt Z4 Disc- it’s okay, but just okay. It’s not as stable as the F75 I replaced, especially at speed. It’s quick release instead of TA and doesn’t feel any smoother despite 25mm rather than 23 and being carbon vs alloy.

It could all be fit (never had a fitting- had a 58 before so got the same size).

I’ve been through a couple of cranks because the crank was “defective”. The first crank on the bike came loose 50 miles in and 7 miles from home- that was an awesome walk. The second crank it happened on the trainer. Felt says no issue with the frame but I think that’s suspect.

so no, I wouldn’t recommend.
Old 03-19-20, 04:34 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I've had my Canyon Ultimate over 3 years now, quite an investment
in kit, but it's working out great
Every ride is more enjoyable than the last
Just keep falling in love with it
Perfect machine for me

Rode in driving rain up in Solvang last weekend, and the ride on TL, and disk brakes is unreal
Very confidence inspiring
Size small, 6.7kg
nice bike
Old 03-21-20, 03:02 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I have a 2016 trek emonda which I got very very cheap and I built it up from the frame. The bike rides well, but I can't say I've ridden a ton of other bikes to compare it too. The one thing that bugs me though is the wacky trek specific bottom bracket (bb90) and the trek specific seat post/mast which must have infinitesimally small performance gains but I'm concerned that in 5 or 10 years these parts will no longer be available or hard to get.
Old 03-21-20, 06:15 PM
rdeeui

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
My first bike 3 years ago, even less of a clue of what I was doing than even now. A Specialized Diverge A1 (entry level), it was fairly comfortable but heavy, 25 lbs. It's not terrible by any means and I've ridden it probably 1400 mi. It's still my poor weather and gravel bike. I would not recommend, it had claris derailleurs which for most setupsis are workable, but these were clunky and no matter what we did, gear 4 slipped. It had FSA cranks which were a real PIA to find parts for. I couldn't take it anymore so I switched it to a Tiagra groupset. If getting a Diverge which overall is a nice bike, I would get a higher level and not go on the cheap. Or get an entry level that's not faulty, thanks LBS!
Old 04-09-20, 06:15 PM
TheMalahat

Bikes: Trek Madone, Giant Defy, Scott Addict RC, Opus Citato

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Trek Madone, not sure on the model because it isn't in front of me (mostly 105 build), but its not particularly comfortable and the component mix has been an upkeep pain. Came with tires that didn't last long, and have been changed out, brakes have been a chronic frustration in regular upkeep, and the thing seems to find new places to make sounds from somewhat regularly. Definitely don't recommend "lower" level Treks as a result, but also appreciate my experience seems to be the minority.
Old 04-09-20, 07:55 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Not MY bike(s) personally, but I work in a shop so I get to try out a lot of bikes. The worst "real" bike that I've test ridden was a 2009-2011 Scattante aluminum bike. It rode like a board vertically and would twist about an inch and a half each way about the BB. It was like the bike version of celery: If you like it, try any other food. It's much better.
Old 04-10-20, 03:32 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
My bike is absolutely awesome for me, but I know a lot of folks wouldn't feel the same. It's a Lynskey R260 titanium bike. Anyone whose tastes lie in the direction of carbon fiber aerowonderbikes wouldn't like it. It's also not the lightest bike, though it's not heavy either, it's just not in the weight weenie class by any stretch of the imagination. I think it's around 21 lbs as currently configured, though I'd have to double-check that. So, at least two classes of people would be very "meh" toward my bike. But it's a great bike for me, since I'm a fairly heavy clydesdale cyclist, and it's strong, durable, has a great Di2 drivetrain and hydraulic disc brakes, great custom-built (by me) wheels, a comfortable Brooks saddle, etc. The hoods are probably only about 50-60mm below the saddle, so not slammed but not upright either. The ride is plush between the titanium and the wide 32mm tires. The wheels are overbuilt for most people with 36 spokes both fore and aft, but are nice, moderately deep-section wide carbon wheels with good quality hubs and were built with so many spokes for strength and durability reasons. In short: a very thin and young cyclist would find my bike to be a heavy, over-built, non-aerodynamic tank, but I find it to be strong, comfortable, smooth, and rides long distances easily, like a Cadillac.
Old 04-11-20, 08:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I purchased a Trek Dual Sport to ride when doing trails. It was not very good on the dirt/gravel or pavement so I sold it at a 40% loss. I replaced it with a Cannondale CX bike and it is much better on the dirt/gravel and great on pavement.
Old 04-14-20, 05:26 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
My only compliant for my Emonda is the toe overlap with the front tire. I don’t have that issue with the Roubaix but it is pretty severe with the Emonda
Old 04-18-20, 02:33 PM
cchmilar

Bikes: 1990 Marinoni Special, 1986 Proctor Custom, 1989 Kuwahara Caravan, Singular Firebird Stainless, Niner RIP9, Sekine SHT

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I have had bike that I liked at the time, but would not purchase again, if given the chance.

But certain BB give me pause now when looking at new bikes, haha