Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for back wheel for heavier friends '06 Jamie Sputnik?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 03-29-20, 11:08 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 512 Posts

i've got a friend with an '06 Jamis Sputnik who has put on some weight in the past 10 years. He's at around 290 and losing weight fairly well. He pulled his old bike out and wants to get back on it but needs a new back wheel. He's pretty out of touch with cycling now and asked for recommendations, but I only know a bit about vintage bicycles.

Anyways, he wants a black wheel that is high spoke count and sturdy enough for his weight and decently priced. Any suggestions? He'd also like it to be black.

His front wheel is carbon fiber, which I assumed would be dangerous for his weight but he doesn't seem to think so. What are the thoughts here? Thanks!

Last edited by polymorphself; 03-29-20 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-30-20, 03:31 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Thread moved to C/A per OP's request.
Old 03-30-20, 04:18 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Consider looking at entire bikes. You may find something a bit stronger which is suited for heavy people. Even just a regular bike which is strong. A mountain bike with wide tires is better than a bike with skinny tires for heavy people.
Old 03-30-20, 09:19 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Consider looking at entire bikes. You may find something a bit stronger which is suited for heavy people. Even just a regular bike which is strong. A mountain bike with wide tires is better than a bike with skinny tires for heavy people.
Well, it's a steel frame bike and the Jamis manual from 2007 puts their weight limit at around 300 lbs, so he's right at the cusp. Thing is he already has the full bike, it's rather nice and he's not even sure he'll stick with it, so just fixing the back wheel seems like a good starting point for him, unless people would warn against using this bicycle for specific reasons. I should note the wheel is not broken due to his weight, it broke many years ago.

Truthfully just as far as aesthetics/performance/price I'm not sure what to look at for this modern single speed bicycle.

Last edited by polymorphself; 03-30-20 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 10:27 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Look at the Vuelta Corsa HD wheelsets. They aren't light, but your friend isn't light either. These would be pretty strong with 36 spokes. I don't know if he could get just a rear wheel somewhere, but the set is just over two Benjamins. You didn't mention the spoke count on his front carbon wheel, but if it's a low spoke count (it probably is) then he might be better off riding something like these Vueltas for a while until he gets his weight down.

For what it's worth, I built my own custom carbon wheelset that is something one simply cannot find on the open market, ie: nice semi-deep section carbon rims with high quality hubs, but with 36 spokes both fore and aft. Nobody makes something like this. It's awesome, but much more expensive than something like the Vueltas linked above.

One more thing to consider would be talking to a custom wheelbuilder. It would probably cost more than just buying off the shelf, and may not be worth it if this is seen as some kind of temporary solution until he's got more weight off. But consider that if your friend is at 290 lbs now the likelihood that he's ever going to get down to "typical" cyclist weight (say, 160-180 lbs) is pretty minimal, so having a strong wheelset is always going to be a concern. Even if he gets down to 230-240 or so he's still going to want stronger wheels than the typical skinny cyclist.

Edit: I had a look at some photos of that 2006 Jamis Sputnik bike, and I wouldn't hold out hope with that fork and rear frame of supporting very wide tires, but definitely he'll want to ride the widest tires that will fit. 25mm should be pretty easy, but if he can fit a 28mm (or higher) he'd be well advised to do so.

Last edited by SethAZ; 03-30-20 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added content
Old 04-01-20, 05:25 PM
DWhitworth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Another vote for the Vuelta Corsa HD...I have 7500 miles on mine on my road bike.

DaveW
Old 04-20-20, 02:51 PM
Kfree

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Look at the Vuelta Corsa wheelsets. They aren't light, but your friend isn't light either. These would be pretty strong with 36 spokes
Hey man, could you recommend a wheel set for a hybrid bike? 700c 35. Its a Giant escape 2 from 2012.

On a side note im looking at getting a new bike. I'm torn between Giant Escape disc 2020 and a Giant Escape 2 disc 2020. Its a 260 dollar price difference. However the only difference betweent them is the crankset. ones forged alloy and the other is a shimano 210 30/46. Also the fork is an 'enhanced composite'. Is that really worth 260 dollars?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-20, 07:16 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
At his weight, any more than 32 spokes is overkill. The higher profile the rim, the stronger it will be. Velomine is a company that pumps out pretty cheap wheels. Given it's a single speed, that brings the price down a LOT due to the simplicity of the hub. A freewheel just screws onto the hub and they are relatively cheap too, even for higher quality options.

As for the front wheel, carbon is fine. He just needs to shy away from lightweight anything.
Old 04-22-20, 02:02 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
The best solution is to find a heavy-duty rim with 36 spoke holes designed for tandems or 'trekking', then have it laced into a Shimano SLX or XT hub with stainless steel spokes. This gives the multiple benefits of strength, lowish cost, and easy repairs and parts replacements if necessary.
Old 04-25-20, 03:08 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Kfree
Hey man, could you recommend a wheel set for a hybrid bike? 700c 35. Its a Giant escape 2 from 2012.

On a side note im looking at getting a new bike. I'm torn between Giant Escape disc 2020 and a Giant Escape 2 disc 2020. Its a 260 dollar price difference. However the only difference betweent them is the crankset. ones forged alloy and the other is a shimano 210 30/46. Also the fork is an 'enhanced composite'. Is that really worth 260 dollars?

Thanks!
I haven't looked into any of those bikes, so I couldn't really offer much of an opinion. As far as wheels go, you just need to make sure whatever wheels you get have the correct mounting provisions for whatever rear drivetrain you have, and of course make sure the hub widths for front and rear are correct for that bike. I don't see why you'd need hybrid-specific wheels. The wheels I originally mentioned would work, assuming hub width and drivetrain compatibility. I haven't ever ridden those wheels, btw, I just know they're an example that has been recommended before and are fairly cheap.
Old 04-26-20, 11:03 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
I swear by Velocity Deep V rims and ride 700x25 tires and have never had a problem. I am 6'3" and currently weight 365 pounds.

https://www.velocityusa.com/home/

Good luck and ride like a lightweight!
Old 05-06-20, 07:04 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If the money is not a problem, nobody is ever sorry they bought better!