Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

2019 Kona Sutra - frame size

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 12:42 PM
Javier

Bikes: None at this moment...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good afternoon! I am trying to figure out the most correct frame size of a 2019 Kona Sutra. I have no way of testing one.

According to Rivendell “pubic bone height” method (i.e., barefooted; feet about 10” apart; hit the bone when lifting the book; etc.), my “pubic bone height” is 85 centimeters (33.5”). My total height is 177.80 centimeters (5’10”); my trunk measurement is 63.5 centimeters; and my arm measurement is 67.31 centimeters.

So the question is, 54cm frame or 56cm frame? I intend to keep the stock handlebar stem (seems to be the same stem size for 54cm and 56cm frames). Will I be too stretch with the 56cm frame? Or, will I be “hunchbacked” with the 54cm frame?

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-20-20, 02:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you don't have any reason or experience to know otherwise, then I'd go for what the manufacturer recommends. What does their sizing guide say you should be in?

A 54 cm frame of one model may not be the fit of a 54 cm of another model even from the same manufacturer.

If you are in an overlap between sizes, then I might consider the larger of the two if you have both long legs and arms compared to typical persons your height. But even the smaller size will probably work well and certainly can be made to fit swapping out stems and such.
Old 04-20-20, 05:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The OP might want to put their measurements into the fit calculator at: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
and go more by the suggested top tube length than any other number.
Old 04-25-20, 08:03 PM
duckhuntr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It depends on the front wheel toe clearance, but even a 52 might work. 52 or 54. The sutra has long ETT and the larger sizes have tall head tubes. Start with a 54 but don't overlook the 52 if you can find one to test ride.