Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Loaded Touring Bike Lower Gear Ratio - Bike Build Advice

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Loaded Touring Bike Lower Gear Ratio - Bike Build Advice

Old 05-17-20, 06:09 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by altbike
I think I will be touring with a fairly heavy load. My guess is 30 - 40 pounds? I've never weighed my load in the past. I like to take camping gear with me.

Also, I could always get the different chain rings (48-36-26). This is a bit of an expensive proposition but perhaps in a year or so as the memory of this upcoming purchase fades it won't hurt so much to make this investment. I think having this option would be good for throwing on for daily use as well as for flatter tours and should make for a more versatile setup.
In the past, one could buy a 48/36/26 for maybe 150 cad. and purchasing only the rings tends to get expensive. Ive toured with a 24 granny and a 30t cassette with about the weight you probably have, and it was ok---your 34t would give you a lower low.
Anyway, I just wanted to bring it up, really more thinking of using the bike unloaded and lightly loaded also, but I dont want to discourage you from the 44/32/22 crankset, it really does work great for loaded touring, and you'll be really happy with it.
Old 06-16-20, 04:29 PM
altbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Update

Just wanted to provide an update:

I've successfully completed the replacement of the drivetrain! Everything is working very well. The 9 speed sora shifter works flawlessly with the 9 speed rear MTB derailleur. The Sora front derailleur does shift quite well once set up correctly but it did take a bit of fiddling to get it there (about 20 mins of trial and error). This was mostly an exercise in changing the height of the derailleur and also the cable tension (needs to be quite tight). Another note is that I ended up putting all the bottom bracket spacers on the left (non-drive) side in order to move the chainline over 5mm (reducing it from 50mm to 45mm). I previously had it spaced at 2.5mm to the left (47.5mm chainline) and it wasn't enough.

Here is my final parts list for reference:
Shifters: Shimano Sora ST-R3000(3x9)
Front Derailleur: Shimano Sora FD-R3030
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio RD-M4000
Cassette: Shimano Alivio CS-HG400-9 (11-34)
Crankset: Shimano Deore FC-M590 (44/32/22)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore SM-BB52

This gives me a gear range of 17.6 - 108.7 gear inches. Should be good for getting me up those mountain passes!

Thanks to everyone for their input!

-Alan
Old 06-16-20, 08:19 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Hey there, firstly wanted to say that's nice of you to come back with an update. Lot's of people ask for help but don't report back.

that's great that it all worked out and that the shifting is working as intended.
once the fd is positioned properly, even changing the cable in the future is an fast job.
I recommend changing sti cables every 2,3 years, depending on how much you ride and shift. The unseen bend right inside the sti can start to fray and you don't see it. If suddenly you need to adjust your rear indexing, that's a sign fraying is starting. Better to not have little bits I of wire inside your shifter. Not hard to change cables, and good to stay on top of this or at least keep track of cable age.

that's a really great range of gearing. 108 is a bit higher than my heavy touring bikes 103, and I can spin up to about 55kph (Im a fast spinner) so you'll be able to a bit more.
You'll see how the low is really really nice to have. Sure you won't need it unloaded, but even loaded, there are days that your legs or knees are sore , you're tired or feeling under the weather, you've bonked, or simply hitting a really short steep but at end of day, it's just plain nice to be able to spin and ease up on the knees.

enjoy it, hope you get out on a tour this summer.