Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Taking The Lane

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Taking The Lane

Old 03-01-19, 10:37 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
Yesterday, I was on a two-lane blacktop. As part of my route to get to my doctors' appointment. When an 18-wheeler got behind me. The truck driver 'sat on his horn', all the way to the split(straight/right turn-only) in our side of the road. Before I made my right-turn, I looked at the driver. They started shouting, saying there was more than enough room for him to pass me in the lane. I told them that there was no room to 'share the lane' side-by-side, and I wasn't going to end up like a squirrel.

I called their supervisor today, and reported them. I am going to check back in a week to make sure the supervisor talked to the driver.
How did it go?

How many people have had positive results from contacting a business with regards reporting an employees dangerous/illegal activity? How many have had video to back it up? Did having video evidence make any difference?
Old 03-01-19, 10:57 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I've called companies about poor driving on the part of their employees. I'm almost always satisfied with the response. I recently had an electrical company call me back twice to get further details because management wanted to be sure they clobbered the right guy. If one is polite and gives the facts without vitriol or threats, the person at the other end usually wants to make sure there's not a repeat performance. I've also sent emails when I couldn't find the proper phone number and those appear to have worked as well.

This next part is painful to say, because I'm politically a big-government fan. However, the only fleets that appear to be immune to these calls are public fleets (city, municipal power, school districts, county). Maybe I just don't speak their language, but they are highly resistant to improving their driving skillset.
I'm glad that you've had positive outcomes. Years ago, I'd called to report a local taxi cab for not allowing enough space between us when they passed me. The response that I got from the person that I was talking with was basically "No harm, no foul." Meaning that given that I wasn't hit/injured that as far as he was concerned that it was a non-issue.
Old 03-02-19, 12:17 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
"No harm, no foul." Meaning that given that I wasn't hit/injured that as far as he was concerned that it was a non-issue.
It can be a slippery slope without video evidence, or a police report of some kind.

"He said"... "she said".... nonsense can be difficult to sort through.
Old 03-02-19, 11:10 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
How did it go?

How many people have had positive results from contacting a business with regards reporting an employees dangerous/illegal activity? How many have had video to back it up? Did having video evidence make any difference?
I got results. I didn't have video to back it up. But I gave a supervisor all the 'identifiers'(# on trailer + # on tractor), the direction headed, along with the time of day, and the date. Then I reminded the supervisor about specific state traffic laws.
Old 03-03-19, 10:26 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
I got results. I didn't have video to back it up. But I gave a supervisor all the 'identifiers'(# on trailer + # on tractor), the direction headed, along with the time of day, and the date. Then I reminded the supervisor about specific state traffic laws.
Any other "results" from your call/visit other than that the supervisor listened to your complaint?
Old 03-03-19, 12:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
What's that sound? Could it be an approaching lock?
Old 03-03-19, 12:32 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good, and what was the outcome?
Old 03-03-19, 03:25 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
In areas where riding could be hazardous, it might pay to be prepared with video backup. When I'm in the market for my next new bike you can bet I'll factor in a forward/rearward facing camera. Nowadays, that's not an extravagant feature. If noting else, I'll have a record of my ride.
Old 03-06-19, 12:41 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Any other "results" from your call/visit other than that the supervisor listened to your complaint?
The driver was reminded of ALL the traffic laws.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
In areas where riding could be hazardous, it might pay to be prepared with video backup. When I'm in the market for my next new bike you can bet I'll factor in a forward/rearward facing camera. Nowadays, that's not an extravagant feature. If noting else, I'll have a record of my ride.
Agreed.
Old 03-09-19, 06:09 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agreed, I've been looking for camera's that I can afford. The better/higher quality cameras are too pricey. And the cheaper/more affordable ones are lacking in picture/video quality. So what is a person who is on a fixed income supposed to do?
Old 03-09-19, 06:25 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Too bad the ObamaCamera program was discontinued a while back. I think if you just wait a couple more years, I predict those things will be cheaper than dirt, and the technology and battery life will be much better.
Old 03-09-19, 07:08 PM
KraneXL

I agreed, I've been looking for camera's that I can afford. The better/higher quality cameras are too pricey. And the cheaper/more affordable ones are lacking in picture/video quality. So what is a person who is on a fixed income supposed to do?
The cheaper (sub $100) cameras are fine for these basic recording purposes. Just keep it set at 60 fps for better slowmo and freeze frame should it be necessary. You only need to spend more for extra features when used predominately for higher level creative work.
Old 03-09-19, 09:25 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The cheaper (sub $100) cameras are fine for these basic recording purposes. Just keep it set at 60 fps for better slowmo and freeze frame should it be necessary. You only need to spend more for extra features when used predominately for higher level creative work.
Understandable, but I've seen footage from some of those "sub $100.00" camera's and they were as grainy as all get out. Very difficult to really make out much detail.

Now considering that IF I'm mistaken that part of the reason for running camera's is to gather evidence if needed to document harassment, or in the event of a being hit, or a hit and run. Footage and/or pictures that are are so grainy to be useless then it's just useless weight, and why bother?

There has got to be camera's that are both affordable and that produce quality footage and images. And then there's battery life/spare batteries to consider as well as memory card size.

Last edited by Digital_Cowboy; 03-09-19 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 11:17 PM
KraneXL

Understandable, but I've seen footage from some of those "sub $100.00" camera's and they were as grainy as all get out. Very difficult to really make out much detail.

Now considering that IF I'm mistaken that part of the reason for running camera's is to gather evidence if needed to document harassment, or in the event of a being hit, or a hit and run. Footage and/or pictures that are are so grainy to be useless then it's just useless weight, and why bother?

There has got to be camera's that are both affordable and that produce quality footage and images.
Most likely user error. One of the many compromises you make with a less expensive camera is features. Not really a problem once you recognize its limitations. Despite all the hullabaloo you hear online about a camera's superior low-light capability, any good photography needs good light. If the footage is grainy it was probably taken at dawn or dusk.

There's also the possibility of using the wrong settings, poor handling, uploading, post-processing, etc. of the footage after it was acquired. Without knowing those details, this list is endless. The best advice is to learn your camera, and know its limitations. All cameras have them regardless of price.

On the other hand, some cameras are just more forgiving in the "auto" setting and that's one of the conveniences you might get more of by paying more.
Old 03-10-19, 04:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Th price of the equipment actaully puts the test to the value of the equipment.

How much would you pay to win a big court settlement after getting rear-ended? or .... how likely do you think it is that you will get hit and a camera will help legally resolve the issue, and what's dollar value?

Some people buy expensive helmets with MIPS because they think they might better survive a head impact. Some others don't.

If you think the camera will provide an extremely important service, the price becomes less significant.
Old 03-10-19, 08:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Buying weekly lottery tickets might help a cyclist win a big payout.

Buying and using a video camera might materially help a cyclist win a big payout in a court settlement.

The odds of either event actually occurring are probably about the same.
Old 03-10-19, 06:39 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Too bad the ObamaCamera program was discontinued a while back. I think if you just wait a couple more years, I predict those things will be cheaper than dirt, and the technology and battery life will be much better.
Wait a couple more years? What's a nervous cyclist supposed to do in the meantime? R-r-ride without d-d-documentation?! Surely not. Sell plasma. Hock the family silver, but do not throw a leg over that top tube without state of the art video archiving hardware running ...
Old 03-10-19, 06:47 PM
Maelochs

I faced this dilemma and found an easy solution. I have hired a three-man team to chase and lead on motorcycles and to film my every move on the bike. Nothing goes unrecorded.

The safety improvements are huge---no car can get near me because I ma surrounded by motorcycles.

We'll see what happens next week, now that my cash has run out.
Old 03-10-19, 07:47 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Buying weekly lottery tickets might help a cyclist win a big payout.

Buying and using a video camera might materially help a cyclist win a big payout in a court settlement.

The odds of either event actually occurring are probably about the same.
I don't doubt that could be true in Iowa. But here in the big city, there are no uneventful rides.
Old 03-11-19, 05:23 AM
Maelochs

I don't doubt that could be true in Iowa. But here in the big city, there are no uneventful rides.
By this I guess you mean that many riders you know have had major incidents, recorded them on their on-board cameras, and used the video evidence to win huge court settlements? That is precisely what I-like-to-bike was comparing to winning a lottery.

I commuted daily in the greater Orlando, Florida area for about 15 years. This is the land of the elderly, snowbirds, frustrated and exhausted tourists in cars full of screaming kids, and angry locals trapped trying to get to work on road systems which hadn't been updated to account for a third of the traffic volume. Even when there were no bike lanes and almost everybody hated cyclists, most days I just rode to work, rode to classes, rode to the store, and road home. No real incidents to speak of. And since then, things have only gotten better as people are made more aware of bikes by publicity campaigns, road signs, and bike lanes.

As for there being "no uneventful rides" I find that a bit of a stretch. I guess it is a matter of terminology. After all, a ride itself is an event. Anything that occurs is an event. But as for there being a close call sufficiently worrisome that a rider would feel the need to provide the police with video evidence ... I'd say, the rider is doing something wrong.It is Not anything like a "War Zone" out there. if you find that you are having dangerously close calls during every ride, i'd have to say you might be riding dangerously.

If you really do have dangerously close calls every day, you should post some of the worst ones here so we can all be outraged. You know we all love being outraged.
Old 03-11-19, 06:20 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I usually have some sort of road rage incident during most rides. But fortunately, since I started running a camera, I have come to realize that most are pretty minor, and seem much worse when I'm there on the bike, than they look on video when I get home. And most of the ones I was sure were "clearly intentional" were just "sloppy driving" with little or no malice towards me attached.

I do think it's easy to overreact to close passes, I know I sometimes do, while there are other close passes which are arguably more dangerous, that I find myself not reacting at all to. Upon reflection, I realize my own emotional state is usually the most critical factor, so I have forced myself to be more tolerant and forgiving (while still running the camera).

"No Harm, No Foul" is my motto these days, along with "Keep the camera running" and "Stay Calm". Works for me at present.
Old 03-11-19, 06:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I usually have some sort of road rage incident during most rides. But fortunately, since I started running a camera, I have come to realize that most are pretty minor, and seem much worse when I'm there on the bike, than they look on video when I get home. And most of the ones I was sure were "clearly intentional" were just "sloppy driving" with little or no malice towards me attached.

I do think it's easy to overreact to close passes, I know I sometimes do, while there are other close passes which are arguably more dangerous, that I find myself not reacting at all to. Upon reflection, I realize my own emotional state is usually the most critical factor, so I have forced myself to be more tolerant and forgiving (while still running the camera).

"No Harm, No Foul" is my motto these days, along with "Keep the camera running" and "Stay Calm". Works for me at present.
Your experience provides an example of a cyclist getting actual positive results from running a camera while riding.

Makes more sense than the hypothetical and dreamy financial gain, courtroom drama or safety benefits that some posters seem to expect.
Old 03-11-19, 06:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Yeah, other than the initial cost, it's tough to see a downside. Plus I get to go back and review interesting stuff from my rides I was too busy to look at at the time. And there's peace of mind of the sort that insurance companies often promise, but rarely deliver.
Old 03-11-19, 11:24 AM
Maelochs

I agree with @I-Like-To-Bike (and if you think I enjoyed typing that, you are crazier than both of together.) @Lemond1985 has come to the best solution.

Here is the key:
Upon reflection, I realize my own emotional state is usually the most critical factor ...
That is why I tend to blame cyclists who Always have drama, every single ride. If you expect it you will find it.

I was surprised to see how many times I would initially get upset at some driver who made a decisive move to pull into traffic ahead of me or across my path---safely, but rapidly and forcefully---before I realized that that was, in fact, better driving---the guy kept traffic moving, didn't get held up &which can create dangerous frustration) and took full advantage of a sufficiently large opening to get on with the show--in other words, the exact kind of thing I would have done. But since i was startled (to see proactive driving) I would initially get angry ... and then feel foolish.

Another thing which taught me how much depended on my perception ... when a line of cars would be passing me, i'd be fine ... but if one driver nailed the throttle in a loud car, i'd feel scared for a second ... and then realize he was also making a completely safe pass, but in a loud car with a lot of power, so when he hit the gas it Sounded like something big was going on.

I still see (rarely) a very stupid driver, but I see a lot more careless or distracted drivers who don't really pose any threats and don't really come too close, but could trigger a fear reaction if i was already keyed up. Now I notice how courteous most drivers are, and how rare the really stupid people are.

But the other day (Maybe March 7?) I was heading home at the end of rush hour on a narrow, little-used road. Some guy came by and he and his two elementary-school-aged kids screamed out the window. That Really annoyed me. Go ahead and be a butt-head---but really, teaching your kids that stuff? When one of them finally startles a cyclist enough to cause a wreck, I doubt the dad also taught the kids to stop and render aid.

But ... no harm, small foul. Not worth thinking about for more than about 30 seconds. I had a bike to ride, I was too busy to worry about the decline of civilization.
Old 03-11-19, 07:27 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Maelochs
By this I guess you mean that many riders you know have had major incidents, recorded them on their on-board cameras, and used the video evidence to win huge court settlements? That is precisely what I-like-to-bike was comparing to winning a lottery.

I commuted daily in the greater Orlando, Florida area for about 15 years. This is the land of the elderly, snowbirds, frustrated and exhausted tourists in cars full of screaming kids, and angry locals trapped trying to get to work on road systems which hadn't been updated to account for a third of the traffic volume. Even when there were no bike lanes and almost everybody hated cyclists, most days I just rode to work, rode to classes, rode to the store, and road home. No real incidents to speak of. And since then, things have only gotten better as people are made more aware of bikes by publicity campaigns, road signs, and bike lanes.

As for there being "no uneventful rides" I find that a bit of a stretch. I guess it is a matter of terminology. After all, a ride itself is an event. Anything that occurs is an event. But as for there being a close call sufficiently worrisome that a rider would feel the need to provide the police with video evidence ... I'd say, the rider is doing something wrong.It is Not anything like a "War Zone" out there. if you find that you are having dangerously close calls during every ride, i'd have to say you might be riding dangerously.

If you really do have dangerously close calls every day, you should post some of the worst ones here so we can all be outraged. You know we all love being outraged.
I live in SoCal bro. If you find my statement hard to believe just tune into the news on any given day then tell us what type of story lead the news. I don't exaggerate.

Except that you don't need to cause an accident to violate the laws. Don't forget that close passes are illegal.

Last edited by KraneXL; 03-11-19 at 07:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.