Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another Trek 930 rebuild, advice requested please!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 12:41 AM
Jbrichar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am an original owner of a 1993 trek 930 single track. Bought it when I was 17 after saving up and have used it on and off over the last 28 years. I have a newer mountain bike now for when I want to get dirty and have decided I am going to strip this down to the frame, refurbish and powder coat the frame and build it back up with mostly new parts. I may even powder coat the same forest green and found a website with the original decals to replicate the original finishes.

I have read a number of forums on 930 conversions but none have seemed to fit my objective. I want to build something really nice and don't mind spending beyond the basic altus reccomended replacements. Now I understand "nice" is a relative term and the sky is the limit. The goal is to end up with more of a hybrid, which it kind of already is, for flat trails, family paved trails and neighborhood rides. Not interested in road bike conversion or an upright cruiser feel.

My thinking is to keep the frame, the fork, the headset, the stem and handlebar, the seat post and possibly the wheels unless compelling reason otherwise.

I would be happy with another 3 x 7 configuration but it seems this is not easy to find once you start looking at deore or other better parts.

would love to hear opinions on recommended configurations for derailleurs, cranksets, cassettes, shifters and brake levers. It seems to make the most sense to go to v brakes. Wheels could be reused and trued up unless compelling reasons.

thanks so much in advance and will def do a before and after pic posting. Also feel free to tell me if I am crazy to put a bunch of money into such an old frame although it has always been a great ride and has sentimental attributes as well.

thanks, Jason
Old 06-24-20, 06:42 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Hi there. As far as being crazy for dumping a bunch of money into an old bike, you are in good company here. None of us are crazy.

I swear.

Getting to build ideas, how about a 1x setup? I've toyed with the notion myself for a 930 I have here.
Old 06-24-20, 06:47 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I had an old 930 for a while and if it had fit better i would have kept it. I thought the wheels were great. I would have gotten smoother, lighter tires and for my money more upright bars but thats just me. Great frameset in my opinion.
Old 06-24-20, 06:48 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Is there something wrong with the bike as is? I understand wanting to rebuild but the paint may be ok with some polish and wax.

Your bike just may need a thorough rebuild. New chain, cassette, cables and housing, rebuild all the bearings (hubs, pedals, headset, bottom bracket), new brake pads, tires, grips, etc. If you want modern components then by all means you can go that route but unless you are significantly altering the bike then reusing what you've got is probably the way to go.

That being said old Altus was nothing to write home about.

Last edited by Narhay; 06-24-20 at 08:33 AM.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 06-24-20, 07:10 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbrichar
I am an original owner of a 1993 trek 930 single track. Bought it when I was 17 after saving up and have used it on and off over the last 28 years. I have a newer mountain bike now for when I want to get dirty and have decided I am going to strip this down to the frame, refurbish and powder coat the frame and build it back up with mostly new parts. I may even powder coat the same forest green and found a website with the original decals to replicate the original finishes.

I have read a number of forums on 930 conversions but none have seemed to fit my objective. I want to build something really nice and don't mind spending beyond the basic altus reccomended replacements. Now I understand "nice" is a relative term and the sky is the limit. The goal is to end up with more of a hybrid, which it kind of already is, for flat trails, family paved trails and neighborhood rides. Not interested in road bike conversion or an upright cruiser feel.

My thinking is to keep the frame, the fork, the headset, the stem and handlebar, the seat post and possibly the wheels unless compelling reason otherwise.

I would be happy with another 3 x 7 configuration but it seems this is not easy to find once you start looking at deore or other better parts.

would love to hear opinions on recommended configurations for derailleurs, cranksets, cassettes, shifters and brake levers. It seems to make the most sense to go to v brakes. Wheels could be reused and trued up unless compelling reasons.

thanks so much in advance and will def do a before and after pic posting. Also feel free to tell me if I am crazy to put a bunch of money into such an old frame although it has always been a great ride and has sentimental attributes as well.

thanks, Jason

Here is what I've done to my 95 930,
95 930
Old 06-24-20, 07:27 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Definitely worth using and upgrading, I did a 930, built it up 3x9 with Shimano deore parts from scrap bikes and the local used bike outlets.
Old 06-25-20, 12:38 AM
Jbrichar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Hi there. As far as being crazy for dumping a bunch of money into an old bike, you are in good company here. None of us are crazy.

I swear.

Getting to build ideas, how about a 1x setup? I've toyed with the notion myself for a 930 I have here.
What are the advantages of this. My fuel ex 7 has a 1 by 11... thanks..
Old 06-25-20, 12:41 AM
Jbrichar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Is there something wrong with the bike as is? I understand wanting to rebuild but the paint may be ok with some polish and wax.

Your bike just may need a thorough rebuild. New chain, cassette, cables and housing, rebuild all the bearings (hubs, pedals, headset, bottom bracket), new brake pads, tires, grips, etc. If you want modern components then by all means you can go that route but unless you are significantly altering the bike then reusing what you've got is probably the way to go.

That being said old Altus was nothing to write home about.
thanks... the paint is in bad condition with tons of scrapes and some light rust and decals mostly gone. I went from getting something brand new to deciding to make this new and also excited for the project. If m.j I'm going to replace everything, might as well go all the way..
Old 06-25-20, 12:42 AM
Jbrichar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Definitely worth using and upgrading, I did a 930, built it up 3x9 with Shimano deore parts from scrap bikes and the local used bike outlets.
I cant seem to find deore 3 x 9 parts new... are they discontinued?
Old 06-25-20, 06:54 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
I cant seem to find deore 3 x 9 parts new... are they discontinued?

Yes, those are older models that have been discontinued. You can find them used on eBay
Old 06-25-20, 07:44 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Try looking to see if you have a local bike coop, those places are golden for bike builders.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-25-20, 11:49 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
What are the advantages of this. My fuel ex 7 has a 1 by 11... thanks..
You already have a 1x setup? Then you know the advantages better than I do.
From my point of view, having never used one, they seem to offer a decently wide range without the need for front shifting. That is what interests me about them.
Old 06-25-20, 01:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
It is easy to rebuild this 3 x 7 if you hunt around for used parts. They are offered for sale in the C&V for sale forum and you can always put up a WTB ad. If you have the original thumb shifters and the wheels are in decent shape, this will be the most cost effective way to rebuild your bike. I rebuilt a '92 Trek 950 with a trekking bar, 26 x 1.75 Continental travel contact tires, and BMX style platform pedals. I like this set up a lot. The trekking bars give you multiple hand positions (think of a drop bar squished flat) and it's a cheap mod because the MTB parts (levers, shifters) all work on it. The platform pedals mean you can use any shoes you want and the Conti tires handle nicely on different surfaces.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-26-20, 02:32 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I kept mine basic. Okay, that's a lie; it still needs rust treatment, new cables and housing, and new pedals. Still, she rides great.

Zoe (Washburn), my badass off-pavement ride.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-26-20, 02:38 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I kept mine basic. Okay, that's a lie; it still needs rust treatment, new cables and housing, and new pedals. Still, she rides great.

Zoe (Washburn), my badass off-pavement ride.
Good looking fat tires; what are they?
Old 06-26-20, 02:46 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Good looking fat tires; what are they?
Kenda Small Block Eights. They're really nice; grabby without being too aggressive, and pleasantly squishy.
Old 06-27-20, 05:54 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I'd start with just putting narrower street tires on it, like maybe 1.5 in. That'll make it feel a lot zippier on pavement right away. If the gearing is too low for road riding, drop down to an 11-23 or something like that in the back, which paired with the Altus 26/36/46 front gives a decent range for a hybrid-type bike. Then ride it for a bit and see where it's lacking. One appealing feature of good 90's rigid MTB like these is that it doesn't take much money to make them into great ride around town bikes.