Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Old 08-06-20, 04:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Likes For Korina:
Old 08-06-20, 07:44 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
Holey Moley !!!!!

There MUST have been some good bikes out of all of these **********?

Or at the very least some parts !!!

Where did they all come from ?

Are these to be saved**********?

Or to the crusher
We're living in a disposable world where nothing gets repaired because nobody knows how to do it & it's just not worth it anymore. So sad. Such a shame - when somebody tosses a whole bike in the trash just because of a broken cable or a flat tire. At the least these old bikes could be donated to charity and given a second chance to be used again.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 08-07-20, 01:33 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Holey Moley !!!!!

There MUST have been some good bikes out of all of these **********?

Or at the very least some parts !!!

Where did they all come from ?

Are these to be saved**********?

Or to the crusher
The flat bed trailer was filled with bikes from a place called Fort Francais. This was the third load that they sent to us (Bicycles for Humanity). There were not all that many good bikes in the load. Keep in mind, that we all define "good bikes". Out of that pile, and pile is the word, only two bikes blew my kilt up. An Aero in near mint shape and an early seventies Peugeot roadster (third one from the right). I know not where the Aero went but I restored the Peugeot before giving it back to B4H...

Because of the unusual loading style (not recommended) many bikes were slightly damaged, the Peugeot Roadster, being one of them (a special prize to the first person to find the Peugeot in the pile)...

Look at the steel cottered crank and how it is bent into the frame. No damage to the frame but the crank was toast...

The bikes on the trailer were, for the most part, not all that great. Lots of department store mountain bikes, ten speeds and roadsters. Most of the bikes were prepared for and sent to Africa. Some were refurbished and sold at our two times each year Lakehead University Vintage Bicycle Yard Sale...
Old 08-08-20, 12:33 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
That bent steel cottered crank could be save with a BIG vice and a lone extension on the vice handle. LOL

Cheers
Old 08-09-20, 12:40 PM
TheRodeWarrior

Bikes: CCM of all sorts, Kona AfricaBike, Kuwahara Apollo Mount Shasta, Peugeot Hurricane Creek, Barracuda A2B, Raleighs of all sorts mainly 3 speeds, Norco Kokanee. Rocky Mountain. Mongoose Maneuver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 4 foot black iron pipe I use to slip over bent steel cranks and lever them straight. I've done 3 vintage CCM so far with no troubles.
Old 08-12-20, 01:12 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Well, it is August 12, 2020 and just got back from the dump. Finished my work for the day, went to two dumps and now it is beer and bath time. Anyway, I got super lucky today. Lucky in my opinion, perhaps not so lucky in anyone else\s.

The first thing to catch my eye and, of course, be left behind was this old Iverson and an even cheaper Galaxie mountain bike...

Moving on, odds and ends caught my eye and, just as I was about to say "to heck with it", something special showed up and I scooped it up, immediately. Believe it or not, I have wanted one of these for a long time. Pump me up..!

Happy about the pump, I moved on again, this time I actually had to throw something away. And, in so doing, I got this ornate steel frame wicker basket and a pair on near new size 10 steel toe rubber boots. And I do need a new pair...
Old 08-12-20, 03:59 PM
GaryBeaton

Bikes: Trek Solo (belt drive commuter), Globe (summer commuter), Skykomish Hardtail Mtn, Diamondback Hdtl Mtn, Miyata 1000 (rebuilding), Miyata TwoTen, Miyata OneTen (restoration), Peuguot 10 spd (restoring)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Drink and let them eat cake

Hopefully you spotted that angel food cake pan and don't have to go back tomorrow for it.
Old 08-13-20, 04:47 AM
randyjawa 

Hopefully you spotted that angel food cake pan and don't have to go back tomorrow for it.
And it looks to be NOS, however; my wife already has one and those pans do NOT wear out. She has been using her pan for over fifty years. And hundreds of strawberry short cakes have been produced, over the half century of our relationship. But one more, or so, would not hurt
Old 08-13-20, 06:43 AM
TheRodeWarrior

Bikes: CCM of all sorts, Kona AfricaBike, Kuwahara Apollo Mount Shasta, Peugeot Hurricane Creek, Barracuda A2B, Raleighs of all sorts mainly 3 speeds, Norco Kokanee. Rocky Mountain. Mongoose Maneuver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some nice finds Randy. I scrapped an identical Iverson last fall as the frame was severely rusted. Cheap bikes in their day but interesting none the less. We had a very similar water pump when I was raised out in the country. Always thought it was funny to prime the pump to get it to work better.
Old 08-14-20, 09:02 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A randyjawa dump find that he sold to me is this lovely Brooks Competition leather saddle.

I emailed Brooks about it and they replied that it was made between January and May in 1960. They also said: "We no longer make this model. but it would retail today at around £130 GBP" That's $225.56 Canadian.

Not bad for a 60 years old saddle. I find it quite comfortable and like it a LOT.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-15-20, 05:30 PM
randyjawa 

August 14, 2020, Saturday and I managed to get to two dumps, one of them two times (on the way into the city and on the way out). On the way in, nothing. On the way out, something to keep my vintage water pump (on display in one of Mrs. Me's gardens) company

The pump will be where it is now, until the day I die. The bike, a 1988 Santini Primo, will be harvested or sold cheap. I have no room to store it, even though it is a good fit. One can easily see why the average person would consider the bike to be junk, starting with a barely used CCM butt perch...

Patina is one thing, oxidation (rust) is another and immediately robs a vintage bicycle of value...

Too bad about the oxidation since the frame, itself, is in pretty good cosmetic and mechanical condition. The tires, however, might not be safe at max pressure...

A week or two ago, I was in need of a freewheel almost exactly like this. This one will be cleaned, lubed and tucked away, just in case something interesting happens to come my way in the future. The chain will find a new home at the dump scrap metal pile...

And, for what it is worth, I heaved a sigh of relief at how nicely the patina improved. It is amazing what a small piece of crumpled up aluminium foil will do when coupled with a minute, and only a minute, of one's time...

Though not particularly high end, the Exage aero lever is one of the most comfortable I have ever used. These ones are close to blemish free. The component wear, or lack of it, suggests that this bike was a garage queen for most of its life...

v
I must admit that the internal cable routing was a bit of a surprise. Anyway, today was fun and tomorrow is four dump day...
Old 08-15-20, 05:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Bought, entered a triathlon, did not place, set it aside.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-16-20, 01:00 PM
randyjawa 

It is Sunday, and not much luck at the dump today. This old Velo Sport 26" wheel mixte the only velo speed offered...

I passed on the Velo Sport but thought that you might get a kick out of seeing the forty foot high pile of stuff I saw today, at dump #2 .

I have completed my chores for the day. Guess I will go and putter in my man cave. In fact, I will take a picture or two of where I build bikes, these days. Trust me when I say that cave it the operative word.
Old 08-16-20, 02:31 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
A randyjawa dump find that he sold to me is this lovely Brooks Competition leather saddle.

I emailed Brooks about it and they replied that it was made between January and May in 1960. They also said: "We no longer make this model. but it would retail today at around £130 GBP" That's $225.56 Canadian.

Not bad for a 60 years old saddle. I find it quite comfortable and like it a LOT.

Cheers

Thanks for the information on that Brooks. I bought one just like it years ago, though probably in rougher shape, for something like 5-10 USD at a yard sale and was never able to identify it. It never occurred to me to write to Brooks!

12 or so years later and I still ride it on occasion. My first Brooks, but now I have two others... a gateway drug for sure!
Old 08-17-20, 10:01 AM
GaryBeaton

Bikes: Trek Solo (belt drive commuter), Globe (summer commuter), Skykomish Hardtail Mtn, Diamondback Hdtl Mtn, Miyata 1000 (rebuilding), Miyata TwoTen, Miyata OneTen (restoration), Peuguot 10 spd (restoring)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randyjawa
...One can easily see why the average person would consider the bike to be junk, starting with a barely used CCM butt perch...

Too bad about the oxidation since the frame, itself, is in pretty good cosmetic and mechanical condition.

Though not particularly high end, the Exage aero lever is one of the most comfortable I have ever used. These ones are close to blemish free. The component wear, or lack of it, suggests that this bike was a garage queen for most of its life...
Yes to the average person but for a BikeForums member, I would think this would make it on almost everyone's restoration pile. Your pics are not showing anything but surface rust on the chain and freewheel so my only concern would be damage to the wheels sides of the fork. The spokes have a bit of rust here and there but the oxidization is minimal. I think this bike is quite collectible. What is the story on the saddle?
Likes For GaryBeaton:
Old 08-17-20, 12:31 PM
randyjawa 

I think this bike is quite collectible. What is the story on the saddle?
The saddle was on the bike when I found the Santini. Other than that, my guess would be that the saddle was purchased at Canadian Tire (they sell CCM bikes there) and installed on the Santini to help the rider;s butt comfort. I suggest this because the bicycle appears to have seen a couple of times around the block before become the female ruler of the garage. This is an incredibly common story in my area. In my world, the bike has no collectible value. Bikes like the Santini (in its "as found" shape) cannot be given away in Thunder Bay. And, now that I live in the country, trying to sell locally is a great pain in the, place where the CCM saddle goes...
Old 09-02-20, 01:22 PM
randyjawa 

Well, it is Wednesday, September 2, 2020 and the dump has seen little velo activity lately. This is not the least bit unusual. Once the Spring clean up is over, bike flow to the dump drops significantly. The flow does pick up a bit in September and October.

Anyway, not feeling all that great today, I almost passed going to the dump. Lucky for me, I did go. Lucky? Yup,this Bianchi Grizzly said hello and followed me home, truck open and all (grocery day and trunk was full of groceries which had to be relocated). The Grizzly, and believe it or not, a Bianchi road fork complete with a lovely old logo Cinelli stem...

Other odds and ends were there but did little to attract my attention. When I got home, I could not help but wonder why I did not grab a wheel for the tire, tube and liner. Too tired to go back, today, but looking forward to the weekend - if I make it!-(

Thought that you might like to see my Santoni/Torpado Professional. The wheels came from the Santoni that I got last week(tires are new). Finally, the Torpado is road worthy and safe to ride...
Old 09-02-20, 04:52 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
Wow, that's great that you can actually rummage around your landfills, out here in the west it is strictly verboten.
Old 09-02-20, 08:12 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
Wow, that's great that you can actually rummage around your landfills, out here in the west it is strictly verboten.
Larger companies sell the scavenging rights. If you can find out who they are, sometimes you can pick their piles. Most smaller business's have a resource recovery site that may let you pick.
Old 09-03-20, 01:13 AM
randyjawa 

And to me, this is one of the great problems that the planet faces. Good grief! You would poo poo you shorts if you could see the stuff we (North Americans) toss away - almost.every day.
Old 09-07-20, 01:34 PM
TheRodeWarrior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just had to be the guy to put you at 10,000 posts Randy. If you see any 28 inch coaster wheels or old CCM/Raleigh I'd be interested along with any 3 speed light cruisers.
Old 09-07-20, 02:52 PM
randyjawa 

Just had to be the guy to put you at 10,000 posts Randy.
We will see what shows up after the Labor Day Weekend, a weekend that tends to produce a bit of increased flow to the land fill sites. Anyway, in the process of cleaning up the Bianchi Grizzly. The bike is almost unused...
Old 09-07-20, 05:39 PM
TheRodeWarrior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randyjawa
We will see what shows up after the Labor Day Weekend, a weekend that tends to produce a bit of increased flow to the land fill sites. Anyway, in the process of cleaning up the Bianchi Grizzly. The bike is almost unused...
We had a similar Bianchi Grizzly last year at B4 Humanity. Same colour too.
Old 09-21-20, 05:41 PM
randyjawa 

Well, it is Monday, Sept 21, 2020 and the season for dump finds is coming to an end this year. No bikes of interest showed up at any of the four dumps that I attend. These brand new T-shirts did present themselves, and they were still in the plastic packages. I will wash them up (just to be sure) and wear them with pride, even though I am not a basketball fan...

Old 10-10-20, 01:24 PM
randyjawa 

October 10, 2020 and, as expected, not a lot tossed at the bump, however...

My grandson and I did find a bit of this and that. I found an almost new axe, something I have been pricing in the stores, lately, thinking that I do need a new axe. Well, the McGregor dump coughed one up just for me...

He, based on my advice, passed on this electric 4wd toy...

The metal pile, which has been loaded and sent to the scrap metal yards, produced this old Tonka toy truck (metal and quite old)...

A box full of STUFF, Took a while to get him away from this find...

A kinda cool hand made wooden bicycle was hidden in the box...

A few other toy trucks came his way today. Two really old steel Tonka trucks...c

My grandson had a field day at the dump today. He found a bunch of stuff that turned out to be right up his alley...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.