Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waterproof gloves recommendations?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-03-20, 08:45 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

Who makes a reasonably priced waterproof glove? Doesn’t need to be cycling specific (Giro, Pearl Izumi) As I’d probably use it for other activities. I’ve seen some 3mm neoprene gloves that look like a maybe on Amazon.

mind you I use Cobra Fist pogies in the winter, but a waterproof glove would work great for cold spring and fall wet rides.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-20, 03:33 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Showers Pass makes waterproof clothing.
Old 10-04-20, 04:23 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
Check out Dakine. They have several choices of gloves and mitts with Gore-Tex removeable liners and poly shells.
Old 10-04-20, 05:54 AM
pcons713

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 8 Posts
anything with GoreTex has worked well for me (lots of brands use them). if you're near a Decathlon store they usually have good options (common in EU, not so much in US... not sure where your are)
Old 10-04-20, 07:07 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Waterproof gloves are pointless because your hands will get soaked with sweat. I find that gloves is one of those items that's just impossible to keep completely dry.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-04-20, 07:24 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
My hands get drenched in neoprene gloves. I had a pair of Nashbar wool gloves that worked well. Kept hands warm and damp. They were over 35 years old. Now I have a pair of Pearl Izumi thin synthetic like polar tech gloves. They work well. Hands get damp but not soaked and stay relatively warm.
Old 10-04-20, 09:21 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
As others mention, don't use truly waterproof gloves as they'll just get soaked on the inside from sweat (as will all waterproof clothing). Both polyester pile and wool work well, although wool takes time to dry out.

FWIW: I've never found Gortex to be very good either. While it prevents rain from getting in, it also prevents sweat from getting out. It is good in cold/windy situations, but not in above-freezing temps.
Old 10-04-20, 09:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have used gore-tex gloves for high intensity activities like xc-skiing, snowshoeing, and biking. My hands do NOT get soaked from the inside. Same is true for me for gore-tex shoes.

Not everyone sweats the same.

On the other hand, there is no way I can exercise with a gore-tex jacket, shirt, or pants.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-04-20, 09:45 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

I'm quite familiar with Goretex as I have several hunting clothes with them and a jacket I use for cycling. It's expensive and I can attest to it's not so great breathability but it's better than other competitors. Pit or vent zips are pretty much a must with a Goretex jacket.

My hands tend not to sweat much. I do want a water barrier for my hands. I have wool stuff, which I like, but it's not a water barrier.
Old 10-04-20, 09:51 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Check out Dakine. They have several choices of gloves and mitts with Gore-Tex removeable liners and poly shells.
Thanks for suggtion. Checked them out, they don't make 2XL which I need. Read reviews and I'll definitely need some bigger than what they got.
Old 10-04-20, 09:56 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Waterproof gloves are pointless because your hands will get soaked with sweat. I find that gloves is one of those items that's just impossible to keep completely dry.
I know what you mean but this isn't an absolute as everyone's hands are different and it depends on your level of activity vs temps.

Primarily I'm looking to keep my hands warm and isolated from cold rain and keep a good bar grip with waterproof gloves. If they get a little moist inside from perspiration that's a trade off I'm willing to make.
Old 10-04-20, 10:13 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Showers Pass makes waterproof clothing.
These are probably the best reviewed ones I've researched and are at the top of my list. Thanks.
Old 10-04-20, 07:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4324 Post(s)
Liked 3,948 Times in 2,640 Posts
Gloves with Outdry are the way to go. Do not waste time with other gloves trust me. Outdry means you have a glove that is dry from the outside rather than a DWR treatment on the outside and on the inside a waterproof liner. The problem with Gore-Tex and similar liner style gloves is when the DWR wears out of fails eventually you have water inside the glove it won't get your hand wet but it will get cold and then the glove is pretty worthless.

I believe Showers Pass makes some Outdry gloves. Mine are Capo Lombardias (or some slightly older variant) and are fantastic and I have an older set of Mountain Hardwear gloves which are similar that worked great but they could have been a touch larger for my hands (however that was not a fault of them I bought a slightly smaller size)
Old 10-05-20, 09:54 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Gloves with Outdry are the way to go. Do not waste time with other gloves trust me. Outdry means you have a glove that is dry from the outside rather than a DWR treatment on the outside and on the inside a waterproof liner. The problem with Gore-Tex and similar liner style gloves is when the DWR wears out of fails eventually you have water inside the glove it won't get your hand wet but it will get cold and then the glove is pretty worthless.
I know what you mean. In particular I find DWR sorta a joke for gloves, it’s OK for a jacket or pants if they will see light use but few pieces of outdoor gear I use are light use. With DWR seams are going to leak after a few minutes of Rain exposure.

I do have some nice winter Goretex gloves but they are heavy duty and not for biking. Cabelas brand, have had them ~15+ years and are old school Cabelas quality and too warm for Spring/fall use. I remember my wife balking at the $40 price tag back in the day! Got my monies worth there.
Old 10-05-20, 06:05 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by BikeLite
And some just go for Aerostich motorcycle gloves.
https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-...it-covers.html
not what I’m looking for....