Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Install Vel/Or Campe frt/rack

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 02:56 PM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello What’s the best method to put this on please and where does the long flat piece attach? Thank you

Old 10-24-20, 04:25 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Installation Instructions:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...29047168199731

Centre pulls...hmmm...going be tricky fitting that support bracket behind those, if at all.

Last edited by Bob the Mech; 10-24-20 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-24-20, 07:56 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
Installation Instructions:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...29047168199731

Centre pulls...hmmm...going be tricky fitting that support bracket behind those, if at all.
They are supposedly made for center pull brakes I just am not sure how exactly do they fit. Do they fit where the pencil indicates or further back? And how do I do it? The brakes are spring loaded Will a thirdhand tool help me? When you remove the bolts in the front Will the whole thing come apart? I've just never done it before and would like some experience Minds to guide me.
Old 10-24-20, 09:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
I suspect the VO rack is made for a caliper with somewhat different dimensional points (face of arm pivots, width apart of arm pivots and frame mounting bolt) then the Weinman (or Dia Comp, can't tell which) use. Back in the day when TA was the caliper mounted rack this issue was a common known problem, being made for the Mafac Racers. VO (and the whole Bicycle Quarterly crowd) seem to have sided with Mafac and us Weinmann people are left to our own BTW it's too bad your caliper nub's plastic cover is missing. Andy
Old 10-24-20, 10:23 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I suspect the VO rack is made for a caliper with somewhat different dimensional points (face of arm pivots, width apart of arm pivots and frame mounting bolt) then the Weinman (or Dia Comp, can't tell which) use. Back in the day when TA was the caliper mounted rack this issue was a common known problem, being made for the Mafac Racers. VO (and the whole Bicycle Quarterly crowd) seem to have sided with Mafac and us Weinmann people are left to our own BTW it's too bad your caliper nub's plastic cover is missing. Andy
yes they are Weinmann 999 . the little arms that attach to the brake seam to line up and the mettle, bendable . do you not think it is attachable? what are the plastic covers you mention?
Old 10-24-20, 10:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
The caliper arms have a nub traveling in a groove, between the arms. A tiny plastic cap fits onto this nub to reduce and friction. The photo shows it to be missing. Not an uncommon situation and if the set up and adjustment of the caliper is good this nub won't rub within the groove. But this can be an assumption...

Is the metal bendable? I believe the rack is steel so more so then if Al. Is it easy? You'll find out. If this mimics what I've played with decades ago it will be a frustrating attempt with all three axis needing tweaking. Good luck. Andy
Old 10-25-20, 06:16 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Park Tool vid showing mounting of centre pull brakes. Do the reverse to de-mount the brakes.

The caliper assembly remains together as you are only removing the nut from behind the fork crown to remove the entire assembly from the fork at this time. Is the caliper spring held captive by a nut and washer fitting behind the rear caliper arm? Then it looks like it gets tricky. You will need to afix the support bracket behind the caliper before you mount the rack 'legs' on to the caliper pivot bollts.

As for removing the pivot bolts...disengage the straddle cable. Before removing the pivot bolts, zip tie around either side of both font and rear caliper arm so that they keep there shape and distance when the pivot bolt is removed. Only remove one bolt, afix rack leg, then re fix bolt, then do the same for the other bolt. Then remove zip ties. It works in my head...
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob the Mech; 10-25-20 at 06:47 AM.