Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20, 05:10 AM
Nerostarr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Knee replacement

I rode bikes road and mountain in my 20's and 30's, it was my hobby and I loved it. Then my knee pain started slowly first in the left knee, followed by my right a few years later. My cycling slowed as my pain became worse and the doctors said surgery was necessary, so I had orthoscopic surgery done and a slight improvement was gained. I could never really ride at the level I wanted so I slowly fell out of the sport after several years. Fast forward 25 years and my Knee's were pretty much toast, very painful at best and hard to conduct daily activities. I got tired of living in pain so I went to see a knee doctor again, and that doctors appointment changed my life. 1 month later I had the right knee replaced and 1 month after that the left was replaced. I've had about 10 weeks to recover and I am doing fantastic, I can walk up and down stairs and I can actually run again. But besides all that I can ride again! I'm 61 years old now, I bought a new bike and I ride almost everyday and it feels great. Yeah I'm not riding at the level I use to, but I don't want to either. I'm just happy getting out there and riding gravel paths and bike trail, Life is good again. That's my story and I just wanted to share it, I hope it helps someone in need.
Likes For Nerostarr:
Old 04-26-20, 02:56 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerostarr
............... Life is good again. That's my story and I just wanted to share it, I hope it helps someone in need.
Glad to read about your success!

Both of mine are long overdo for replacement but just not ready for the down time. Too much riding to do.
Old 04-26-20, 03:45 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Glad you are able to keep riding. A friend in his late 70's had a knee replacement, and is still riding. He rode 35 miles with us one day on his hybrid while still having a knee brace on. We did stop, but not as much as I thought we would, and took a decent lunch break. Stories like these are encouraging, always glad to hear and/or see.
Old 04-27-20, 04:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Joint replacement surgery has improved tremendously over the decades.

My mom's first knee surgery in the 1960s virtually crippled her for life. It did more harm than good. During the early 2000s a surgeon tried to improve that knee but it was too far gone. All they could do was loosen up the constrictions from decades of scar tissue.

But mom's 2006 knee replacement surgery on the other knee went fine. She recovered relatively quickly (although she was a PITA and uncooperative with physical therapy) and got along remarkably well for the next decade. Ditto, her shoulder replacement surgery. Neither of us could remember which shoulder had the replacement unless we looked for the tiny scar. Mom's main problem was severe osteoporosis and eventually nothing would hold the titanium joints in place.

My granddad's 1980s or '90s knee surgery was useless as well, although he too refused to cooperate with physical therapy. And he and my grandmother had spinal fusion in the 1970s for nearly identical fall related injuries. I couldn't see that the fusion did them any good.

I've had multiple injuries -- broken neck, back, shoulder, minor knee injuries -- and I declined any fusion surgery. But I may eventually agree to a shoulder replacement. I was hit by a car in 2018, breaking and dislocating my shoulder, and ortho indicates I may need replacement surgery by the time I'm 70. I'm 62 and for now getting by with regular physical therapy and exercise.
Old 04-30-20, 04:28 AM
Nerostarr

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I feel I waited far too long to get them done being in pain for all that time. I was very scared about having a total joint replacement surgery, but after talking to several people who had it done with great results I decided to give it a try. I also had to wait until a time in my life where I could financially survive being unable to work for 3 months, but I saw a window of opportunity and when for it. Now looking back I sure am glad I did it as the knees are perfect and my other aches and pains like my lower back pain has gone away. And not only that but I can actually do things again like bike ride and go out with the family on outings and such. I can enjoy life again and it's amazing how it changes your outlook on living again. It honestly makes you feel 10+ years younger.
Old 04-30-20, 06:27 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

I feel I waited far too long to get them done being in pain for all that time. I was very scared about having a total joint replacement surgery, but after talking to several people who had it done with great results I decided to give it a try. I also had to wait until a time in my life where I could financially survive being unable to work for 3 months, but I saw a window of opportunity and when for it. Now looking back I sure am glad I did it as the knees are perfect and my other aches and pains like my lower back pain has gone away. And not only that but I can actually do things again like bike ride and go out with the family on outings and such. I can enjoy life again and it's amazing how it changes your outlook on living again. It honestly makes you feel 10+ years younger.
Great reading that things are working well.

Question 4 U Can you do a full squat with the new knees? >>> https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-squat/555716/

My ortho has advised me that following the Upper Tibial Osteotomy on each leg and the new knees will not give me the range of motion I now have.
Old 05-01-20, 02:35 AM
Nerostarr

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Yes I can do a full squat no problem and my range of motion is about 97% of what it was. The new knees are very tight at first so going to therapy is the key to your success, they will stretch you and get your range of motion back. The only thing that gets to me is kneeling on the knees, like you were going to scrub the floor on your knees. It doesn't hurt but it doesn't feel right either, its kind of hard to explain so I avoid doing it. Everything else is great, factory fresh.
Old 05-01-20, 02:06 PM
OldTryGuy

Yes I can do a full squat no problem and my range of motion is about 97% of what it was.......................
GREAT!!!!! Can you tell me the manufacturer and model. Not sure if they would work for me but I can ask my ortho.

TIA
Old 05-02-20, 04:26 AM
Nerostarr

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
If your asking for the name and manufacturer of my knee implants, I have no idea. My doctor assured me he is a professional and one of the best in the country, and he didn't let me down
Old 05-02-20, 03:25 PM
OldTryGuy

If your asking for the name and manufacturer of my knee implants, I have no idea. My doctor assured me he is a professional and one of the best in the country, and he didn't let me down
10 years Cincinnati Reds Team ortho, worked on Johnny Bench, Martina Navratilova, put new total right shoulder in and had me back on bike riding in 3 days and just letting me know that extreme flexibility I have now will not be possible. Just flat foot squatted in bare feet without pain only 5 days out from bicycle crash suffering cracked scapular, 2 cracked ribs and punctured lung. Bad enough I'm off bike for unexpected months so really wouldn't want to do another stint with knees.

REALLY GLAD U R doing well.