Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheels? What’s the ride and weight advantage

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-23-20, 04:31 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I need a set of road wheels/tires for my Cannondale Topstone Carbon. What’s the advantage of going with carbon wheels? I’ve found it very hard to compare wheelset weights. How much weight advantage is there? What about ride feel? Any suggested wheels that don’t break the bank?
Old 06-23-20, 05:20 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Wheels don't change the feel.

There may be weight savings, but generally the cheaper carbon wheels are as heavy or heavier than lighter weight AL wheels.

Deeper rim carbon wheels are good for aero, though.

Light Wheels and Farsport wheels are cheaper wheels. Used can be a good option, too.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 06-23-20, 06:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Main advantage of carbon wheels is that you can go deeper section (and much more aero) and not have a big weight penalty. And bling.
Old 06-23-20, 06:30 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval

There may be weight savings, but generally the cheaper carbon wheels are as heavy or heavier than lighter weight AL wheels.

Deeper rim carbon wheels are good for aero, though.

Light Wheels and Farsport wheels are cheaper wheels. Used can be a good option, too.
CF hoops can also be wider and lighter than aluminum hoops. It's hard to find 21mm internal width aluminum tubeless rims that weigh 350g.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-ro...available.html
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-23-20, 06:47 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
The advantage is very small. There is a lot more to it than the material the rim is made of.

Things do tend to add up though...and the longer/faster you ride the bigger the difference.

Compare 36 spoke box section with 2 inch knobbies to 20/24 spoke deep section Enve 3.4's (or similar) with tubeless 25's. It's a world of difference. But how much is tire, how much is aero, how much is weight, how much is where that weight is?

How much you gain or lose depends on where you are starting from & what objective matters most to you.

As an example, I have a set of Mavic Aksium cheap ($300) aluminum 24 spoke set of wheels. They weigh exactly the same as the ENVE 7.8 SES wheels & are for the same bike. Same tires, same everything. 1 tubeless, the other tubed. The ENVE's blow around in the wind a bit more & cost about 10x as much & until I speed into the mid 20's I honestly can't tell the difference. The ENVE 7.8's are objectively better, stronger, stiffer, aero, etc...in every metric but not 10x better, more like ¹/100 better.

I bring up this comparison, not to poo-poo carbon wheels, but to make light of just how good wheels have become overall. Gram for gram carbon allows for better aero, but are you riding in conditions where aero matters? If not, aluminum can save you a lot of dough with a lot less sacrafice in performance than you may think.

If I were to do it again, I think, for my purposes I'd get some Stan's Alpha 340's & feel good about it.

Ain't nobody got time for terrible wheels though. If you are starting with heavy, high spoke count aluminum wheels & knobby cx tires, do yourself a favor & find something better.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 06-23-20, 06:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20800 Post(s)
Liked 9,447 Times in 4,666 Posts
The advantage is that they look ******' badass.
Old 06-23-20, 07:09 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
As above, the advantage of carbon is primarily weight. Carbon rims also tend to sound cool, because of the way road noise reverberates through them. And they look blingy.

The downside is that you sometimes pay an extraordinary price premium depending on the manufacturer, and the cheaper Chinese-sourced brands (not Light Bicycle) use rims that are heavy enough to negate the weight advantage. Like base2 mentioned, aluminum may be a better bet for gravel in terms of utility--and you won't cry when they get dinged up or you bottom out the tire on a rough section. The Stans Alpha 340 are good. The Stans Grail wheelsets are also great (and cheap).
Old 06-23-20, 07:22 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
The Stans Alpha 340 are good. The Stans Grail wheelsets are also great (and cheap).
These are good if you are looking for cheap and light, and the rider is on the lighter side of 175lbs. I've built a few wheelsets using them for lighter riders.

They are hard to beat for light and cheap(and tubeless) 1300g for about $450.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-23-20, 07:28 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
From what I have read, carbon rims can be made to tighter tolerances than (most) aluminum rims, which helps with tubeless tire retention, especially if the rims are hookless. (Mountain bike carbon rims, and Enve road rims, are hookless.) Hooked rims have less of a tendency to pinch-flat with tubeless setups (apparently that is a thing). Carbon rims also tend to stay round and true better than aluminum rims.

I have HED Belgium Plus aluminum rims, and have never had an issue with them. I would have to spend a lot of money to get something better in carbon.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-24-20 at 04:15 PM. Reason: said it wrong. No one noticed?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-23-20, 07:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I have HED Belgium Plus aluminum rims, and have never had an issue with them. I would have to spend a lot of money to get something better in carbon.
You lace up a set of those rims to some DT Swiss 350 hubs with good double-butted spokes, and you'll have a wheelset that is reasonably priced, reasonably light, and strong as hell. Hard to beat, unless you are regularly making it to the podium and are willing to spend big bucks to move up a spot or two in the race results.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-23-20, 07:56 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
One big advantage to tall rims when riding cross or gravel is that if you are going through mud, you have more room to sink before the mud comes over the rim. It's easier to pedal through mud when the rim stays above the mud line. Something else to consider, though in many cases, it may be easier/safer to walk the mud.
Old 06-23-20, 08:02 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You lace up a set of those rims to some DT Swiss 350 hubs with good double-butted spokes, and you'll have a wheelset that is reasonably priced, reasonably light, and strong as hell. Hard to beat, unless you are regularly making it to the podium and are willing to spend big bucks to move up a spot or two in the race results.
I have two such wheelsets. Once laced to Chris King, and one laced to White Industries.

However, I am now a DT Swiss fan as well. My kid got some of their wheels, and at Sea Otter a couple of years ago they gave him a free hub upgrade and service tutorial as a birthday present/good will gesture. Totally above and beyond the call of duty. I am also really impressed on how serviceable they are, and the modular freehub easy-detach feature.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-23-20, 08:33 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
For road wheels id look at our own forum member psimet.

Al wheels with 26 mm rims with cx ray spokes. Ended up in the team realm of 1450ish grams.

Carbon wheels are awesome too but I'd think twice if you want more functionality especially in the wet. If you have a separate setup youd use in the wet then I'd just go for it. I have a set of carbon wheels I picked up for some fair weather rides, but I'm debating just putting them on the daily road bike and calling it a day so I'm not swapping pads back and forth all the time. I have a second bike that I can use if I go for any rain rides.
Old 06-23-20, 08:45 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
For road wheels id look at our own forum member psimet.

Al wheels with 26 mm rims with cx ray spokes. Ended up in the team realm of 1450ish grams.

Carbon wheels are awesome too but I'd think twice if you want more functionality especially in the wet. If you have a separate setup youd use in the wet then I'd just go for it. I have a set of carbon wheels I picked up for some fair weather rides, but I'm debating just putting them on the daily road bike and calling it a day so I'm not swapping pads back and forth all the time. I have a second bike that I can use if I go for any rain rides.
The OP is looking for a set of disc brake wheels, so there's no reason to use aluminum for better wet braking.
Old 06-23-20, 08:52 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by noodle soup
The OP is looking for a set of disc brake wheels, so there's no reason to use aluminum for better wet braking.
Ah man I knew that haha.
Oops.

Thanks for the correction.

In that case there's really no downside to carbon wheels but cost. Id go for it if i could afford it!

Definitely something in the 40-50mm range.
Old 06-23-20, 08:58 AM
noodle soup

Ah man I knew that haha.
Oops.

In that case there's really no downside to carbon wheels but cost. Id go for it if i could afford it!

On that bike, I'd go 23mm internal width or bigger, and use 30-35mm tires
Old 06-23-20, 10:11 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

I was referring to rim depth for road only wheels!
Old 06-23-20, 10:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I have two such wheelsets. Once laced to Chris King, and one laced to White Industries.

However, I am now a DT Swiss fan as well. My kid got some of their wheels, and at Sea Otter a couple of years ago they gave him a free hub upgrade and service tutorial as a birthday present/good will gesture. Totally above and beyond the call of duty. I am also really impressed on how serviceable they are, and the modular freehub easy-detach feature.
When I was having some wheels built last year, we discussed WI hubs vs the DTS 350...Shop owner thought the WI hubs were not worth the extra money. Still, my next wheels will probably have WI or CK hubs. I'd just really like to have some hubs that are built to that level of fit and finish -- and the WI freehub body is made of ti, which is cool.
Old 06-23-20, 10:30 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Weight savings, aero and aesthetics.

Practically speaking, the difference is quite minor, actually. I just got my 10.2kg steel bike serviced, upgraded to 105 and clad with 25mm tires on Mavic wheelsets (royal porkers, at nearly 2000gm a pair) and took it out for today's scheduled 60' recovery spin. I compared it to the same ride from 2 weeks ago with my Dura Ace Di2 Venge with 35mm wide-rim, mid-depth wheels, which clocked in at 7.3kg.

Ride 1 is the Venge
Ride 2 is the steel bike.

Both are out and back rides along a pancake-flat coastal road that runs near my house. Admittedly, the Venge is a little hampered because the headwinds on the way out were a fair bit stronger that day, but the difference is still quite minor (looking at other rides, about 10W less for these sort of constant-effort rides).

Admittedly, the difference increases when you faster, but I have no idea where people "gain 1-2mph by changing wheels".

Last edited by guadzilla; 07-01-20 at 12:06 PM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 06-23-20, 07:51 PM
noodle soup

Ah man I knew that haha.
Oops.

I was referring to rim depth for road only wheels!
+1.

If he's looking for some road wheels for that bike, I'd look at some wide CF hoops(21-25mm internal width) and 40-55mm deep. That bike with some wide tubeless tires, will be fast and plush.

Good CF hoops will let him go wider, more aero, and still shed a little bit of weight.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-24-20, 12:36 PM
bet1216

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are not aware, you will have to get whatever wheels you buy redished for the AI dish necessary to use on the Topstone. Unless you get a set of the Hollowgram wheels that are already dished that way (be aware there are Hollowgram wheels that come on the Supersix Evo that look similar but are not dished correctly for the Topstone). The carbon Hollowgram wheels are pretty nice and can be found for less $1000. They use certain HED patents and can be set up tubeless or tubed. The new ENVE foundation wheels are also nice and could be used off road or on road at a decent price point (little heavier than other Enve wheels) a well manufactured wheel with a very good warranty. The same is true of the new Zipp 303 (note there are 2 different new 303 wheels with slightly different purpose and price points). There are cheaper carbon wheels but the lifetime all perils warranty that Enve and Zipp are offering is a great option. You will have to order either with the AI dish or have them redished. The Topstone will be a comfortable rocket with nice wheels and tires on the road.
Old 06-24-20, 01:50 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I don’t agree with this. My alloy wheels are significantly “springier” on steep climbs than my deep carbon wheels. Really good carbon wheels might be better than my LB ones tho.

My alloy rims are also more compliant. I’d say there’s a solid 10-15psi worth of compliance in my alloy rims. But a lot of that is just because my alloy rims are narrower and thus the hoop stress at a given pressure is lower.

Wide rims can also reduce the amount of “flop” felt at low pressures.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 06-24-20, 02:00 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
As soon as I buy a bike with disc brakes I will specify carbon fibre rims. Until then I will stick with alloy rims to ensure the best braking
Old 06-24-20, 02:12 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I don’t agree with this. My alloy wheels are significantly “springier” on steep climbs than my deep carbon wheels. Really good carbon wheels might be better than my LB ones tho.

My alloy rims are also more compliant. I’d say there’s a solid 10-15psi worth of compliance in my alloy rims. But a lot of that is just because my alloy rims are narrower and thus the hoop stress at a given pressure is lower.

Wide rims can also reduce the amount of “flop” felt at low pressures.
So your AL wheels flex more. That's lateral. It doesn't affect how your bike "rides" or "feels".

Tire pressure matters for that. Not wheels.
Old 06-24-20, 02:14 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
So your AL wheels flex more. That's lateral. It doesn't affect how your bike "rides" or "feels".

Tire pressure matters for that. Not wheels.
It’s not just about the amount of flex. It’s also about how much energy gets lost in the flex. The alloy rims feel better for that reason. Wheels do matter:

I’m not sure how you could possibly argue that wheel construction doesn’t affect ride feel whatsoever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.