Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nostalgia vs. reality.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nostalgia vs. reality.

Old 09-23-20, 06:58 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Nostalgia vs. reality.

When I was a kid back in 1963 I got a shiny red Murray Missile for my 8th birthday and I have many great memories of that bike. Hence my choice of user name. I have long thought it would be great to have one for old time sake. Well, I got the opportunity to work on a virtually identical Murray built Sears Foremost from the same era....... I no longer want a Murray Missile for old time sake LOL and they can't come get this Foremost out of here soon enough. Once again I will let memories just be memories. 😎
Old 09-23-20, 08:53 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
So true!! Memories always have a way of glossing over reality. My first bike bike was a red framed used bike back in the late 60's of which I don't remember the name. My grandfather built her up with a long support bar and banana seat. I really loved it, after that a Murray banana seated green bike. Now I come across those and wonder how I was able to ride these very heavy machines. But back in the day, it was the best
Old 09-23-20, 09:07 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
My brother gave me a beacon 10 speed of his when i was in high school. I rode it everywhere. When i ran accross one at a yard sale i couldnt pull the trigger. All steel components and rims just dont do it for me anymore. Also the frameset while servicable was pretty darn heavy. Funny how i remembered it.
Old 09-23-20, 09:26 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
I have no nostalgia for the dentistry of my 1950s childhood, either. But at least we didn’t have anti-vaxxers then. Nobody died from opposition to water fluoridation. But boy were our teeth rotten. “Just one cavity!” at each visit was a triumph ... and a toothpaste ad phrase.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 09-23-20 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 09-23-20, 09:28 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
My brother gave me a beacon 10 speed of his when i was in high school. I rode it everywhere. When i ran accross one at a yard sale i couldnt pull the trigger. All steel components and rims just dont do it for me anymore. Also the frameset while servicable was pretty darn heavy. Funny how i remembered it.
Every time I think this, and then I see someone on a nicely maintained Schwinn cruiser and just think "huh, that'd be cool..."
Likes For sheddle:
Old 09-23-20, 09:47 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Every time I think this, and then I see someone on a nicely maintained Schwinn cruiser and just think "huh, that'd be cool..."
i just massaged an old schwinn service bike with a basket back in to rideable shape for a friend. It sucks to ride but she was thrilled.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 09-23-20, 10:00 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
“Don’t meet your heroes.”
Old 09-23-20, 11:44 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Doing something the second time is rarely as memorable as the first.

I tried it. I liked it. But there is so much more new to try, more than I can do in a lifetime.
Likes For iab:
Old 09-23-20, 11:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
I have no nostalgia for the dentistry of my 1950s childhood, either. But at least we didn’t have anti-vaxxers then. Nobody died from opposition to water fluoridation. But boy were our teeth rotten. “Just one cavity!” at each visit was a triumph ... and a toothpaste ad phrase.
My dentist was upstairs over a candy store, the Ben Franklin downtown.
He pulled teeth for $5 cash, fillings were $10. Numbing? What was that?
He kept his tools in an aquarium that seemed to be steamy. It had some cool name. Clavicle?
The chair was a Ritter, black onyx with leather pulley straps or belts. Not high speed. I think they used them in prisons, too.
He used a pedal switch. No clamping things open, no assistant, just "hold steady," and "OK, spit."
He had Parkinson's and would shake until he got to your mouth, and then got steady.
You got very used to it, and it was actually comforting. As a child, I had no clue; thought it was normal.

Today, due to hyper-sensitivity, no numbing, maybe gas if it's not strong.
Wisdom teeth, then several root canals, no anesthetic. One took 4 hours.
I've learned to "go to another place" during these, but one guy only took 20 minutes, so I was barely "there."

As for bikes, my paper route Columbia 2-speed (kickback) was a tank and I would rather walk to the pool than take my paper route bike.

My '76 Bicentennial Free Spirit remains the most beautiful and fastest bike that I or anyone else has ever ridden.
And I'm not about to alter that with reality.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-23-20, 11:53 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by iab
Doing something the second time is rarely as memorable as the first.
I knew this girl; her favorite saying was "I'll try anything twice." South 'burbs.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-23-20, 12:03 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
. . .

I've learned to "go to another place" during these, but one guy only took 20 minutes, so I was barely "there."

. . ..
Yeah, but you were a Marine. They were looking for a few good men, remember.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 09-23-20, 12:06 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 127 Posts
Let's not forget the clothes that accompanied those late 50s early 60s bicycles for a kid. In my case my patched knees Levi's over cotton briefs, cotton T-Shirt summer, add a long sleeved flannel shirt in the winter and semi-hi-topped Red Wing Flyer lace up boots. Yet during summer vacation from school I would ride 10-20 miles a day on a bike that weighed the same or a little more than me.

Last time I rode a bike wearing briefs and Levi's the combination of sweat and wet cotton made a pretty good polishing compound, took a couple days to calm down the contact points.
Likes For since6:
Old 09-23-20, 12:13 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Well there is what I had and what I wished I had. More interest in the later than the former
Old 09-23-20, 01:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
I remember walking uphill, in the snow to school. Both directions......
Old 09-23-20, 01:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I remember walking uphill, in the snow to school. Both directions......
you forgot barefoot. I can say I have walked to school at 50 below, with parka and gloves, but not snowboots...that was uncool for a teenager

Old 09-23-20, 01:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
My dentist was upstairs over a candy store, the Ben Franklin downtown.
He pulled teeth for $5 cash, fillings were $10. Numbing? What was that?
He kept his tools in an aquarium that seemed to be steamy. It had some cool name. Clavicle?
The chair was a Ritter, black onyx with leather pulley straps or belts. Not high speed. I think they used them in prisons, too.
He used a pedal switch. No clamping things open, no assistant, just "hold steady," and "OK, spit."
He had Parkinson's and would shake until he got to your mouth, and then got steady.
You got very used to it, and it was actually comforting. As a child, I had no clue; thought it was normal.

As for bikes, my paper route Columbia 2-speed (kickback) was a tank and I would rather walk to the pool than take my paper route bike.

My '76 Bicentennial Free Spirit remains the most beautiful and fastest bike that I or anyone else has ever ridden.
And I'm not about to alter that with reality.
autoclave and they had special masking tape that had stripes appear once enough time and heat was applied for sterilization...... at least thats what they had in the doctor's office my dad was lab and x-ray tech for

Old 09-23-20, 01:30 PM
squirtdad

BITD my 3 speed columbia (shimno 333 hub, steel rims) was the greatest, even got my bicycling merit badge on it. then I got my first 10 speed...an azuki and have never looked back

Old 09-23-20, 01:38 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I had a hand me down Schwinn Typhoon from my older brother who had probably had it handed down to him from a neighbor or some such, I commuted to Jr HS on that bike and it took me lots of places. I have thought of finding one and then think better of it. Mine was something like this ....

Old 09-23-20, 03:09 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
i just massaged an old schwinn service bike with a basket back in to rideable shape for a friend. It sucks to ride but she was thrilled.
I saw a BEAUTIFUL copper tone Jaguar (or some other paper boy-esque Schwinn) at a rummage sale- it was in excellent shape- only $75; my wife gave me the go ahead- I was going to pull the trigger- as I grabbed it to take it up to pay for it- the second I started to pick it up.... there was no way in hell I would ride that thing as long as I had lighter, more 'exertion friendly' bikes. Someone else got a prize that day.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-23-20, 03:13 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
I had a hand me down Schwinn Typhoon from my older brother who had probably had it handed down to him from a neighbor or some such, I commuted to Jr HS on that bike and it took me lots of places. I have thought of finding one and then think better of it. Mine was something like this ....

Klunker material!
Old 09-23-20, 03:29 PM
rogerm3d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Sometimes there is a wake up call about old bikes and nostalgia to be had, but I feel like if you approach old bikes with an understanding of what they are there is enjoyment to be had. My favorite riding bike is a 3 speed road bike from the 50s. The bike is slower, heavier, cruder in most every way than a modern road bike (I've ridden a lot of bikes modern and old), but the experience it gives is so much fun. The best comparison I can give to it's ride is comparing a modern sports car to an old MG roadster. The same can be said for something like the Schwinn Typhoon above, a modern bike will be "better" but the experience it gives while riding is worthwhile. Granted I did end up building new wheels for the bike, because steel rims offer no advantage and 26x1 3/8 had limited tires that were any good. I suppose you have to find the good in the old and update what doesn't work (just like with cars)

Likes For rogerm3d:
Old 09-23-20, 07:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
Cleaning out the old homestead to settle the estate and just threw my first bike on the pile to go to the scrap yard. AMF roadmaster single speed coaster bent fork.

Old 09-24-20, 05:58 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 397 Posts
My first new bike, bought with money saved from mowing many lawns, was a Campus green Schwinn Varsity. Loved it. Rode, it and moved it many times, riding less and less. First comes Varsity, then comes marriage, then comes Thomas in the baby carriage. The Varsity collected dust and cob webs in many garages until, one day, with an air of confidence (aka Engineer's arrogant know-it-all) I said "I cannot see myself ever riding drop bars again." Took it to the recycling center and rolled it into the dumpster.

I now own 9 drop bar road bikes and a dropped mtn bike. But I'm also a part time LBS mechanic and have handled, serviced and ridden many Varsities. Tom Rush comes to mind - "No regrets, no tears goodbye, don't want you back. We'd only cry again, say goodbye again."

Once you've ridden a top end bike, there's no going back.
Old 09-24-20, 06:27 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts
Looking through adds and articles in bicycling magazine at 15 years old, my dream bike was a 3rensho aerodynamics. Almost 40 years later I actually have one. I must say the nostalgia lived up to the reality!
Old 09-24-20, 07:02 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
autoclave and they had special masking tape that had stripes appear once enough time and heat was applied for sterilization...... at least thats what they had in the doctor's office my dad was lab and x-ray tech for
I thought an autoclave played chords or was a big garage...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.