Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Non-Bikey pants/shorts/tops

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 03:39 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

I have and use road style bike jerseys,bibs, and shorts. I’ve always liked them, because they are very functional, and I’m not sure how else I would carry “stuff” on my person, and manage sweat without them. I have long commuted in street clothes, so that’s not where I’m headed with this question.

That said, are there other brands similar to Club Ride, that have “off the bike” appearing clothing, that is designed for riding? I’m intrigued especially by the snap front “jerseys.” I like that look, plus, practical pockets for phone and tools.

id also like over the short light weight pants/shorts. Preferably something trim enough in the leg that getting sucked into the chain isn’t a worry. I’ve looked at “hiking” pants, but that seems to be an over broad term, making finding an actual hiking pant with pockets difficult.

all suggestions welcome, but if there are some options for gals, all the better.
Old 09-30-20, 04:41 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Not sure exactly what you want but it sounds like Vuori to me. I have a few pieces and the quality is outstanding. Rhone is another.
Old 09-30-20, 06:57 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
I have and use road style bike jerseys,bibs, and shorts. I’ve always liked them, because they are very functional, and I’m not sure how else I would carry “stuff” on my person, and manage sweat without them. I have long commuted in street clothes, so that’s not where I’m headed with this question.

That said, are there other brands similar to Club Ride, that have “off the bike” appearing clothing, that is designed for riding? I’m intrigued especially by the snap front “jerseys.” I like that look, plus, practical pockets for phone and tools.

id also like over the short light weight pants/shorts. Preferably something trim enough in the leg that getting sucked into the chain isn’t a worry. I’ve looked at “hiking” pants, but that seems to be an over broad term, making finding an actual hiking pant with pockets difficult.

all suggestions welcome, but if there are some options for gals, all the better.
nike, adidas or under armour sweat pants. They are tapered and lightweight. I wear the adidas tiro 19 training pants, very very comfortable. They are nicely tapered.
Old 09-30-20, 08:15 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Coolmax long briefs from Duluth under whatever cargo shorts or pants you like. I find the fast dry "fishing shirts" from cabelas and bass pro to be the most comfortable in the heat (better than bike jerseys) and merino wool shirts when it starts to cool off. These are basically my daily wardrobe on or off the bike.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 10-01-20, 10:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Any lightweight golf pant. Use pants cuff clips or Velcro elastic straps to keep things tidy. You can get reflective strips on the straps, too, for a double benefit. Remember, that riding with clothing not made to slip/slide like riding weaves will lead to wear on the seat of the pant. It's inevitable, so factor shorter life into your targeted price point.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-01-20, 10:53 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I ride in wicking golf shorts, black, with pockets.
Old 10-01-20, 01:38 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Good ideas. I stopped by Duluth trading the other day...they had one pair of pants that looked like they might work...didn't have time to try on. Went there to look at a "gardening" shirt that had a back, zipper pocket similar to a mtb jersey. Fabric had little body, and with just one pocket, would inevitably just be pulled down on the one side with my tool kit in there.

I did notice golf pants. They look like a very good option. For the money, as Phil_gretz pointed out, I see little point paying the $80 or more for golf pants, when the cycling specific version isn't much more, and is built for the abrasion. I'll take a look at the sweat pants. They are readily available. Thanks all.
Old 10-01-20, 03:44 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Good ideas. I stopped by Duluth trading the other day...they had one pair of pants that looked like they might work...didn't have time to try on. Went there to look at a "gardening" shirt that had a back, zipper pocket similar to a mtb jersey. Fabric had little body, and with just one pocket, would inevitably just be pulled down on the one side with my tool kit in there.

I did notice golf pants. They look like a very good option. For the money, as Phil_gretz pointed out, I see little point paying the $80 or more for golf pants, when the cycling specific version isn't much more, and is built for the abrasion. I'll take a look at the sweat pants. They are readily available. Thanks all.
these are the adidas tiro 19 sweat pants for $45 but I usually buy them when they are on sale for $30.

Likes For jay4usc:
Old 10-02-20, 10:36 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Old 10-03-20, 02:22 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Think you covered my go to for clothes like that: Club Ride. I have a lot of them I wear for touring. Best to wait to the end of the season, expensive otherwise....
But what I can say is if you find something of theirs you like, immediately order a bunch of them, cause they change designs way too often.
I'm kicking myself I didn't buy more Cog jeans, they are the most comfortable jeans I've ever had, on or off the bike....