Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the largest Online Bicycle parts sellers ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 06:03 AM
preventec47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts

I assume that size ( dollar volume) can equate to greater qty or selection of inventory. I assume BikeNashbar to be one or at least the oldest as I was buying from them in the mid 80's. I get seizures trying to find stuff on Amazon because it is so disorganized. This does not imply that the many small specialty concerns are not appreciated.
I just want to know the best places to look for basic general stuff. Generally in the USA to avoid international shipping costs as I am in Atlanta, GA
This has become more important during this pandemic where many sellers are out of stock ........

Last edited by preventec47; 10-25-20 at 08:11 AM.
Likes For preventec47:
Old 10-25-20, 06:44 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
BikeTiresDirect, Excel Sports, MyBikeShop, CicliCorsa in Italy are the four I shop at.

I needed a new Campy 10 speed right shifter and CicliCorsa had it to me in three days. The others are very good too.
Old 10-25-20, 06:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Just parts (ie. not clothing, bikes themselves, etc)?
UniversalCycles.com is pretty good for this
overseas, Bike24 has pretty good filtering and extensive inventory listings
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-25-20, 07:38 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
I assume that size ( dollar volume) can equate to greater qty or selection of inventory.
That's something that might be generally true, but things can get weird when supply chains get messed up (like, maybe during a pandemic).

I have in recent times found myself getting "a piece from here, and a piece from there" - in some cases essentially buying something from an LBS somewhere across the country because they have it on hand, and the "big guys" don't.

Not so efficient from the standpoint of the effort spent searching, and effective shipping cost - but that's where I find myself sometimes.
Old 10-25-20, 09:29 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
I’m wondering how I would know which companies are bigger than others. For me it doesn’t matter. If one of my local bike stores doesn’t have what I need I shop for it online and order it.
Old 10-25-20, 09:51 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I assume that size ( dollar volume) can equate to greater qty or selection of inventory. I assume BikeNashbar to be one or at least the oldest as I was buying from them in the mid 80's. I get seizures trying to find stuff on Amazon because it is so disorganized. This does not imply that the many small specialty concerns are not appreciated.
I just want to know the best places to look for basic general stuff. Generally in the USA to avoid international shipping costs as I am in Atlanta, GA
This has become more important during this pandemic where many sellers are out of stock ........
Ebay is much easier to sort/filter than Amazon. Many of those major US retailers have a presence on Ebay too.
Old 10-25-20, 02:47 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
These days, if the search tool on a site does not have a setting for "Show in-stock only", I will move on rather than get long specific lists only to find the items are Out-of-Stock.
Old 10-25-20, 04:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Just fyi, bikenashbar really isn't the same store it used to be. Basically, the name was bought out in a bankruptcy sale a couple years ago.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-25-20, 04:22 PM
DudeManBro

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very interesting!!
Old 10-25-20, 08:00 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I've had good luck with Chain Reaction Cycles, an English company. Sometimes cheaper than local/domestic sites even with overseas shipping. Wiggle, another English company has been good too.
Old 10-25-20, 09:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Google. Just Google what you want and look at the results. Its way better than looking at specific sites to see if they have what you want.

I've never thought 'I want a new rear derailleur, let's see what universal cycles has'.
I determine the rear derailleur I want then look for what sites have it.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-26-20 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 08:27 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
BikeTiresDirect, Excel Sports, MyBikeShop, CicliCorsa in Italy are the four I shop at.

I needed a new Campy 10 speed right shifter and CicliCorsa had it to me in three days. The others are very good too.
When buying from non-US shops, are you required to pay import duties and other fees?

How about shipping costs? Are they reasonable enough to make it worthwhile to buy internationally?
Old 10-26-20, 08:42 AM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
When buying from non-US shops, are you required to pay import duties and other fees?

How about shipping costs? Are they reasonable enough to make it worthwhile to buy internationally?
I have not paid anything like that. I also bought tires directly from Veloflex and 3 day DHL was free, for three tires @ 99+ Euros. Had I not reached the threshold the shipping was $15 but no sales tax. I believe the shipping on the shifter was $15 but it was $20 cheaper than any other place. Milan to NYC via DHL is incredibly fast.

I talked with DHL on buying a bicycle directly from Italy worth $7,500.00 and the duty was approximately $200. No sales tax.

Cicli Corsa has great prices on Basso and Colnago bikes.
Old 10-26-20, 08:51 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I have not paid anything like that. I also bought tires directly from Veloflex and 3 day DHL was free, for three tires @ 99+ Euros. Had I not reached the threshold the shipping was $15 but no sales tax. I believe the shipping on the shifter was $15 but it was $20 cheaper than any other place. Milan to NYC via DHL is incredibly fast.

I talked with DHL on buying a bicycle directly from Italy worth $7,500.00 and the duty was approximately $200. No sales tax.

Cicli Corsa has great prices on Basso and Colnago bikes.
Good info....buying items, even lower cost items, from international sellers certainly widens the choices of retailers to find what you need at a price you like.
Old 10-26-20, 08:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
It really depends on the type of bicycle supply, doesn't it?

- new production Shimano stuff? Then the answer is AliExpress all day and every day.
- tires? Then the answer depends on whether you want price or immediate delivery. BikeTiresDirect normally has decent inventory for acceptable prices. eBay can be a good source for one-of types of tires (matching an existing tire, for example).
- consumables? eBay is most useful for those items, although better prices require waiting for delivery from China.
- bearings, fasteners … best to go with specialty on-line sellers.
Old 10-26-20, 08:55 AM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
Good info....buying items, even lower cost items, from international sellers certainly widens the choices of retailers to find what you need at a price you like.
Exactly, especially for a 10 speed shifter for a 13 year old group set. I was quite surprised how easy it was to buy one with the internals already installed rather than a rebuild kit.

But the Italian shop was the best international one I have used.
Old 10-26-20, 09:00 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Surprised that I have not seen Merlin listed. I have bought a lot of stuff from them. Sometimes just because they have an item I want and nobody else does. They have proven themselves to be very good for Hope and Campagnolo components, as well as Continental for tires.

My memory is that duty is only added when the order is for more than $800.00 US, so lots of things come in under that limit. I just know that I have not paid duty out of pocket on any order from them. Since they are in the UK, they are only good for items where a two week worst case delivery time is acceptable. Probably why I always have a few "tyres" in my closet o' junk.
Old 10-29-20, 09:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Surprised that I have not seen Merlin listed...
Back in 2015, I bought a nice CX wheelset from Merlin. The price was very reasonable. Turnaround time was fast and I've been very satisfied with the wheels.
Old 10-30-20, 02:56 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
My first go-to places are JensonUSA and Universal Cycles. Been dealing with both places for many years. Both top notch with very knowledgeable staff and good selection. Also like Tree Fort Bikes, who are more of a newcomer.