Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Using a flashlight as a bike headlight?

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Using a flashlight as a bike headlight?

Old 03-12-19, 10:13 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
....Itís all good bro. You canít figure out how to operate a proper cycling light while wearing mittens so you Mcgyver up some flashlights. Cool stuff.
Peace out.

Let's be honest; Trying to turn on / off almost any light or torch while wearing heavy mittens or gloves is not going to be easy. Personally I can't fathom wearing mittens while riding a multi-geared bike. Without articulated fingers available it's going to be real hard ( if not impossible ) to change gears. Working a light would be the least of my worries as ( what was said by others ) I could always remove a glove to turn the lamp on or off. Changing modes not going to be easy but since I have a lamp that has a single button remote switch I can make due.

For me the hardest part of riding in cold weather has to do with not being able to easily access my phone's touch screen if I'm wearing double gloves. If it's not too cold I wear a single pair of full finger gloves with a small section cut out on one finger so I can still operate my phone's touch screen.....Getting back to the original argument, I really don't see the point in having the ability to operate a bike light vs. a torch ( wearing heavy mittens ) as in my opinion a bike light would be easier to operate as long as you chose the right light. Then again I own a Wiz-1 which while sold as a bike light happens to be very torch-like. The mode button on the Wiz-1 is pronounced enough that wearing heavy gloves should not be a problem.
Old 03-12-19, 02:51 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do View Post
For me the hardest part of riding in cold weather has to do with not being able to easily access my phone's touch screen if I'm wearing double gloves. .
For the short cold season here where I wear long gloves I start my favorite GPS Tracking & Social Posting app before I put gloves on and leave my garage and then take gloves off at destination to stop it.