Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

32, 35 or 40 tires?

Old 03-06-19, 08:17 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Thoughts on Overide comfort and suppleness compared to any others you've used off asphalt? I have them to but always looking and comparing.
I haven't found a better rear tire in this size. I'll probably try the new 700x35 Vittoria Terreno Zero at some point, but it's smaller and I prefer the size of the Override.

The Hutchinson Override is lightweight and very fast rolling. It's very supple, providing a smooth ride and minimal rolling resistance. The Override helped me nearly produce the same kind of speeds I experience on my road bike on pavement with 700x25 Rubino Pro tires. Performance on a wide range of dry surfaces is excellent. Firm gravel, dry grass, dry single-track are all traveled with speed and confidence. Soft and rutted single-lane gravel roads require focus and skill, but can be covered quickly with sufficient traction. Wet gravel and pavement are acceptably easy to travel if the rider avoids any excessive banking during turns. I avoid wet earth and grass, it's not the right tire for those conditions.

I completed the 50 miles Cuba Gravel Crisis with the Override. I continue to be highly impressed with the tire. Traction, durability, reliability all continue to remain at a high level. I'm unable to break the rear tire loose on soft sandy trails, unless it's a very steep climb and I stand while mashing the pedals. Simply sitting on the saddle re-establishes traction. The front tire also maintains traction well on flatter routes. However, I'll install a knobby tire, like the Vittoria Terreno Dry, on the front if I expect faster downhill sections that require urgent braking and cornering. No need to remove the Override from the rear. It rolls fast with a surplus of traction.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-06-19 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 01:11 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Sully151

what bike do you have that runs 50’s?
Raleigh Stuntman. The bike comes standard with 700c x 50MM X'Plor MSOs but I've run a variety of tires on it.
Old 03-08-19, 09:56 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I haven't found a better rear tire in this size. I'll probably try the new 700x35 Vittoria Terreno Zero at some point, but it's smaller and I prefer the size of the Override.

The Hutchinson Override is lightweight and very fast rolling. It's very supple, providing a smooth ride and minimal rolling resistance. The Override helped me nearly produce the same kind of speeds I experience on my road bike on pavement with 700x25 Rubino Pro tires. Performance on a wide range of dry surfaces is excellent. Firm gravel, dry grass, dry single-track are all traveled with speed and confidence. Soft and rutted single-lane gravel roads require focus and skill, but can be covered quickly with sufficient traction. Wet gravel and pavement are acceptably easy to travel if the rider avoids any excessive banking during turns. I avoid wet earth and grass, it's not the right tire for those conditions.

I completed the 50 miles Cuba Gravel Crisis with the Override. I continue to be highly impressed with the tire. Traction, durability, reliability all continue to remain at a high level. I'm unable to break the rear tire loose on soft sandy trails, unless it's a very steep climb and I stand while mashing the pedals. Simply sitting on the saddle re-establishes traction. The front tire also maintains traction well on flatter routes. However, I'll install a knobby tire, like the Vittoria Terreno Dry, on the front if I expect faster downhill sections that require urgent braking and cornering. No need to remove the Override from the rear. It rolls fast with a surplus of traction.
Good to know the background. I find them to be a little on the hard side on long off road/gravel and touchy on the front through mud and slick or rough (obviously, they are almost a slick). They are my primary road tire and on my mixed rides that have less than 20-30ish miles of terrain. I've done many 70+ gravel days on them before I got a second set of wheels. I just replaced my rear after about 2500 miles on it and some chords showing. Other than a single 1/8 inch slice that I patched with a standard tube patch from the inside, they have been flawless.

Last edited by u235; 03-08-19 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 08:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I am using gravelking sk in 38mm. I am not sure if I could go larger on my current bike. I would probably be happier with a bigger tire for descending mountains with loose gravel. I think they ride fine on pavement. It all depends on the state of the gravel roads that you ride on. I had 20 pinch flats the last year I rode 30mm tires, the local gravel roads feature a lot of large rocks that are barely visible, but are sticking up enough to cause pinch flats. Going from the 30 to 38 didn't slow me down at all and no more pinch flats. Of course, going tubeless had something to do with that as well.
Old 03-09-19, 05:15 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
32mm Specialized Tracer pros. Good for Umstead.