Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What will be the last high level mechanical shifter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What will be the last high level mechanical shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 10:13 AM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
This isn’t about what you think is more elegant. Or reliable. Or serviceable in Guatemala 🇬🇹 r whatever.

Its simply a question, too broad to be a poll, about what you think the last great high end mechanical group will be? Are they all doomed? Or will one find a niche, just like the Blockbuster video in Bend, OR and survive.

Immediately, I’ll dismiss all road groups from the big 3. They’re all electric and may soon not have any mechanical counterparts.

Mountain groups have more mechanical options but they’re trickling into electrical.

There are currently 2 gravel groups. Campagnolo Ekar and new unreleased 12s GRX that are mechanical. Are these the last of the breed?

Will Microshift and TRP and others little guys become sufficiently high end for the cable pulling crowd?

Will there be an electric shifting crash? What are 20 year old used bikes going to look like in 19 years?

I’m not judging electric shifting. For my riding, I rode a wireless Archer system for the last year and a half but am switching it back to mechanical (Ekar) because I couldn’t reach the shifter from the drops and wanted a 13s cassette. My mountain is mechanical and the NX group on it knows that it’s one missed shift from the AXS upgrade kit.
I think the greatest mechanical group was the shimano 950 xtr group. The rd-m951 is a work of art. Runner up would be the suntour cyclone mark I stuff. Fantastic.
Old 07-16-23, 03:41 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by tdh
I see a high end Campagnolo mechanical group set in the future; specifically produced for vintage frames. As one magazine put it when the Super Record wireless came out: Campagnolo is in the "luxury sports" segment now. It seems there is a large market out there for vintage steel/titanium frames which neither allow for disc brakes and whose riders will insist on mechanical shifting. Athena was a first try at this market, if I am not mistaken, but they were a bit early as there still was/is a mechanical Super. Record available. Once this is phased out they might produce a "legacy" group set....
Athena was discontinued in 2015 iirc, when caliper brakes and cable shifting were still the norm. There was an Athena EPS, but no Chorus.

Potenza replaced Athena as the upper-tier, Ultegra-adjacent group with both silver (classic) and black (modern) finishes, but it always looked a bit ugly and cheap compared to classic Campag. Potenza in turn got ditched by the time Ekar came in.
Old 07-16-23, 04:31 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tdh
I see a high end Campagnolo mechanical group set in the future; specifically produced for vintage frames. As one magazine put it when the Super Record wireless came out: Campagnolo is in the "luxury sports" segment now. It seems there is a large market out there for vintage steel/titanium frames which neither allow for disc brakes and whose riders will insist on mechanical shifting. Athena was a first try at this market, if I am not mistaken, but they were a bit early as there still was/is a mechanical Super. Record available. Once this is phased out they might produce a "legacy" group set....
They produce the Super Record, Record and Chorus all of which are mechanical and work brilliantly. There is no evidence that these will be phased out. I really don't understand why people hate Campag so much.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 07-17-23, 09:26 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
It is my belief (and hope) that derailleurs will fall out of favor at some point. Perhaps the 12 speed road (and 13 speed gravel) groups that are state of the art now will be the last generation of high-end derailleur drivetrains.

What will replace them? Perhaps really good and affordable internally geared hubs, i.e. epicyclic or "planetary" gears. Rohloff has for years made excellent but not affordble versions of these. Shimano also has some that are nearly as good and slightly less costly.

Perhaps the Pinion gearbox at the crank will catch on and come down in price.

In either case, I think belt drive would begin to dominate, as these systems can easily use a belt and benefit from its inherent advantages.

I don't hate chains (or even derailleurs), and I believe they will be around for a very long time on lower-end bikes.

Upon proofreading my words above before I hit "submit," I realize two things: Belts will probably not dominate at high levels of racing, because they are not as efficient as the old tried and true chain; perhaps they will become common on mid- to high-end noncompetitive bikes. And electronic shifting will likely be the way of the future, even with these alterative drivetrain designs. (Shimano already has DI2 for some of their IGHs.)
Old 07-17-23, 10:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
It is my belief (and hope) that derailleurs will fall out of favor at some point. Perhaps the 12 speed road (and 13 speed gravel) groups that are state of the art now will be the last generation of high-end derailleur drivetrains.

What will replace them? Perhaps really good and affordable internally geared hubs, i.e. epicyclic or "planetary" gears. Rohloff has for years made excellent but not affordble versions of these. Shimano also has some that are nearly as good and slightly less costly.

In either case, I think belt drive would begin to dominate, as these systems can easily use a belt and benefit from its inherent advantages.

I don't hate chains (or even derailleurs), and I believe they will be around for a very long time on lower-end bikes.

Upon proofreading my words above before I hit "submit," I realize two things: Belts will probably not dominate at high levels of racing, because they are not as efficient as the old tried and true chain; perhaps they will become common on mid- to high-end noncompetitive bikes. And electronic shifting will likely be the way of the future, even with these alterative drivetrain designs. (Shimano already has DI2 for some of their IGHs.)
As a mechanical engineer I've been thinking about this for years. But the rear derailleur is very efficient and relatively cheap. The only inherent issue is exposure to the elements, especially for mtb use. But I do think the front derailleur is going to die, from both 1x and 2-speed internal rear hub gears where extra range is required. Classified's Powershift is nice, but very expensive and lmits your wheel choice. But if Shimano/SRAM get into this tech then it could take off big time.
Old 07-17-23, 11:56 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Classified's Powershift is nice, but very expensive and limits your wheel choice.
Indeed it is. Total gear range equal to a double crank, without the double crank. But it's like $3200, I think.

This hub is spec'ed on one of my holy grail dream bikes, the 75th anniversary special edition Cinelli XCR. There's no way I will get one, because they're only making 20, and price is 15,000 Euros. But man that's a beautiful machine.
Old 07-17-23, 03:06 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts

I don't know about that. I have 8-speed Alfine on my belt-drive commuter bike. It weighs about 6 tons, the shifting just isn't as fast as a good derailleur, and there is more drivetrain friction loss. IGH has its applications and benefits, but it isn't going to replace standard derailleurs on racing/sport road bikes any time soon. I've never ridden a pinion bike, but I suspect it has some of the same trade-offs.

I was riding my 12-speed mechanical Campy road bike yesterday. When it's properly tuned, it is so satisfying to ride. The shifts are so precise and have an excellent snap/thunk like a bolt action rifle or something. I know it's not as good as electronic -- but it's like driving a really good stick-shift sports car.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 07-17-23, 04:29 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I don't know about that. I have 8-speed Alfine on my belt-drive commuter bike. It weighs about 6 tons, the shifting just isn't as fast as a good derailleur, and there is more drivetrain friction loss. IGH has its applications and benefits, but it isn't going to replace standard derailleurs on racing/sport road bikes any time soon. I've never ridden a pinion bike, but I suspect it has some of the same trade-offs.

I was riding my 12-speed mechanical Campy road bike yesterday. When it's properly tuned, it is so satisfying to ride. The shifts are so precise and have an excellent snap/thunk like a bolt action rifle or something. I know it's not as good as electronic -- but it's like driving a really good stick-shift sports car.
pinion is very heavy and the losses are big, unfortunately.

In the test, a Shimano Ultegra 2X drivetrain achieved an average of 96.2% drivetrain efficiency, while a SRAM Force 1X drivetrain averaged out at 95.1% efficient. This means that a Rohloff hub likely runs 1-2% less efficient, while a Pinion gearbox or Shimano internal gear hub is 5-6% less efficient, on average.
there is more complete testing than the above summary (which is worded strangely given that they tested the efficiency of the IGH competitors) : https://www.cyclingabout.com/speed-d...arbox-systems/
Old 07-17-23, 04:31 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Indeed it is. Total gear range equal to a double crank, without the double crank. But it's like $3200, I think.

This hub is spec'ed on one of my holy grail dream bikes, the 75th anniversary special edition Cinelli XCR. There's no way I will get one, because they're only making 20, and price is 15,000 Euros. But man that's a beautiful machine.
i feel like an evolved version of the powershift, integrated into a hub mated to a relatively narrow 10 speed rear cassette built to the modern 12 speed standards with closely spaced cogs would be a best of both worlds. i don't think you need 12 or 13 gears when you have the "overdrive" of the powershift, essentially, which can surely have a wider range than a 2x front. make it all electronic, of course.
Old 07-18-23, 08:18 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by mschwett
i feel like an evolved version of the powershift, integrated into a hub mated to a relatively narrow 10 speed rear cassette built to the modern 12 speed standards with closely spaced cogs would be a best of both worlds. i don't think you need 12 or 13 gears when you have the "overdrive" of the powershift, essentially, which can surely have a wider range than a 2x front. make it all electronic, of course.
That would be an excellent system.
Old 07-19-23, 03:05 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I have both the Shimano Dura-Ace 11 speed 9100 and Campy Super Record 11 Speed. Both are, in my opinion, hands down better than their 9 and 10 speed counterparts, which I also have/had. If I had to pick one system it would be the Shimano Dura Ace. I had the opportunity to change to Shimano DA, 10 Speed Di and passed. Yeah, IMHO the mechanical 11 speed is that good and that reliable.
Old 07-19-23, 03:27 PM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I don't think anyone makes a mechanical SLR camera anymore, despite their fans. The good ones are quite collectible.

It seems odd to me that there'd be no more Dura Ace or Record or Red mechanical, but that seems to be the way it's going, or gone.

It's also hard to find a pure, naturally-aspirated, manual-transmission, rear-wheel-drive, no-traction-control sports car.

My guess is that some niche builders will make very expensive mechanical shifters, like Rene Herse or Paul or even smaller more boutique builders. But it won't be a group that really matches what I read into the OP's question -- that is, it won't be something that looks like it belongs on a new production World Tour race bike.

Peak mechanical is probably all the 11-speed stuff.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 07-21-23, 07:09 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Won't be a "last". Once every road bike has electric, they will come out with a new mechanical option to sell to those who seemingly always want to have the next shiny object. Or once people need to start paying $2500 to replace a nearly new condition, though chronologically a few years old, mech whose batteries went bad and no new batteries are made.
Like that new fangled ship they've been talking about, that's powered by wind.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 07-21-23, 07:30 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Batteries are batteries. Someone will be recelling them like they do with cordless power tools.
Until in the dystopian future where lithium mines are all dried up. Those people will be having saddle bags with power wheels batteries in them, or some nine volts taped to the top tube once their stash of black market 18650 cells stolen from old Teslas and Rivians dry up. Some will eventually succomb and seek out the legend of the bicycle grave yard out in the wasteland, hoping those D batteries and solar panel holds up, incase of bandits, as they leave Neon City, rumor has it there's a 2028 Tourney system, like they saw in the archives once. All they have to go on is what used to be Nevada, and some half burried Roadmaster Granite Peaks and Next Avalons, like how those cadillac were on r66.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 07-21-23, 07:51 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Dia-compe Wing shifters. Definitely not one of the big 3 (and definitely knock offs of Sun Tour Command shifters), but mechanical for sure and let you run whatever high end derailleurs you want.

Old 07-25-23, 09:53 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
https://www.microshift.com/products/groups/sword/

Boom, problem solved.
Old 07-25-23, 03:37 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Now that the big weenies are drifting off to never never land with battery operated shifting(a consumer nightmare), I see nothing but more and more mechanical shifting options arising than ever. Possibly from names unheard of or unfamiliar with. The big weenies will have their loyal sheepies that will follow them over the cliff, bless their heart ..... while the rest of us ride on by on our beautiful mechanical contraptions.
Old 07-25-23, 04:11 PM
adlai

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
I really hope that the ebike thing results in advances in the 7 and 8 speed systems. Between 9 and 11 speeds I can't tell teh difference and the angles and system width and new fragility of components is irritating. I just spent some time trying to finagle with an 11 speed system and IMO it is worse than my 10 speed system. I would really rather there be advances in system durability and reliability rather than creating ever more intricate and delicate parts.
Old 07-25-23, 08:12 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by Garthr
Now that the big weenies are drifting off to never never land with battery operated shifting(a consumer nightmare), I see nothing but more and more mechanical shifting options arising than ever. Possibly from names unheard of or unfamiliar with. The big weenies will have their loyal sheepies that will follow them over the cliff, bless their heart ..... while the rest of us ride on by on our beautiful mechanical contraptions.
There are a lot of big weenies out there who seem to be passing those mechanical stalwarts consistently. The only big difference is those weenies really don’t give the luddites a second thought or wish them ill will.

Originally Posted by adlai
I really hope that the ebike thing results in advances in the 7 and 8 speed systems. Between 9 and 11 speeds I can't tell teh difference and the angles and system width and new fragility of components is irritating. I just spent some time trying to finagle with an 11 speed system and IMO it is worse than my 10 speed system. I would really rather there be advances in system durability and reliability rather than creating ever more intricate and delicate parts.
There are probably a million or so 11 speed and 12 speed systems out there and they don’t seem to be facing the challenges your are experiencing. Perhaps the problem you are having lies elsewhere.
Old 07-26-23, 07:16 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Garthr
So you should be very happy then in your smug arrogance.

How has this played out in other consumer applications that have moved from mechanical to electronic systems? Cameras spring to mind. I don’t see many new mechanical contraptions there. Mechanical watches are still fairly popular I suppose, but only really as a fashion statement and/or engineering fascination (I do own several and am a professional Mech Eng). But my most functional, accurate daily watches are all electronic. Same goes for my bike drivetrains. But I’m just a very happy sheep.
Old 07-26-23, 07:23 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by adlai
My 11 and 12 speed drivetrains are durable and very reliable. You probably just have a bent mech hanger or some other basic fault with your 11 speed. What spec is it anyway?
Old 07-26-23, 07:48 AM
tdh

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

Boom, problem solved.
This looks terrific. And the pricing is more than reasonable. If this turns out to be as good as it looks I'll say goodbye to my Campagnolo Record 10speed.
Old 07-26-23, 08:24 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
If that's wired, can it be used with rim brakes too, or is the cable pull too different?

Old 07-26-23, 09:10 AM
tdh

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
If that's wired, can it be used with rim brakes too, or is the cable pull too different?
Brake cable pull for rim and disc is the same.
Old 07-26-23, 09:16 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by tdh
This looks terrific. And the pricing is more than reasonable. If this turns out to be as good as it looks I'll say goodbye to my Campagnolo Record 10speed.
It will defiantly provide drastically improved gearing range; cassette, wheel and shifter compatibility will no longer be an issue as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.