Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Taking All Input Regarding Power Bars/Groupsets, etc. (t. New Rider)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 09:29 PM
dooner90

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I ran my usual 26 mi. course today in my target time (1:20). I was very pleased with this since it's still so early in the season where I live in Illinois. I'd like to increase this time.

As the old adage goes, "that which is measured will improve." As it stands I have no way to measure my wattage output/mph, etc. I'm not even familiar with how to measure these... or if it's relevant for a new rider. A little guidance here would be great. Also, I'm considering switching out the groupset on my 2017 Giant Defy. It rides pretty well -- but again, I only have one year experience under my belt and nothing to compare with. I'd like to see if better gearing will give me a smoother, better feel on the road. Thanks for any consideration.

Also, does anyone have any ideas for finding riding friends where I live? I'm 28 and my friends are too poor or uninterested to ride.
Last, Do any of my readers think it sounds ridiculous for me to attempt a CAT V race this season?

You olddogs are wise. Thanks for your time.
Old 03-30-19, 12:04 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Groupset isn't going to affect the way a bike rides or feels on the road.

Give racing a try, but it's really, really important that you try to do group rides before. Otherwise it's very likely you'll get dropped in the first minute or two and have the race disappear up the road. Riding in a group is extremely different than riding on your own, and cat 5s are already very well-trained cyclists in their own right and the first few minutes can be rough if you've not experienced it before. There's a definite skill set when it comes to riding in a group in regards to being comfortable in close proximity, being able to take turns and move around carefully, and being able to handle the surges and sudden slowing.

Average speed really doesn't matter that much either. It's the ability to go really, really, really hard, recover, and go hard again. Lots and lots of times.
Old 03-30-19, 03:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-b...s-tip-two.html

Bike Racing for Beginners: How to get started

1. Find some group rides, fast group rides. Sit in the back.
2. Don't get discouraged if/when you get dropped from those group rides.
3. Go back the following week and do the fast group ride again.
4. If you're dropped a 2nd time, repeat steps 2 & 3
5. Once you're comfortable with the group and pace (and vice versa), take some pulls.
6. Once you're comfortable taking pulls, try some attacks (if it's that kind of group ride).
7. Once you're comfortable with steps 5 & 6, it's time to enter a race.
8. At your first race, repeat steps 1-6, but substitute 'race' for 'group ride'.
Old 03-31-19, 05:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-b...s-tip-two.html

Bike Racing for Beginners: How to get started

1. Find some group rides, fast group rides. Sit in the back.
2. Don't get discouraged if/when you get dropped from those group rides.
3. Go back the following week and do the fast group ride again.
4. If you're dropped a 2nd time, repeat steps 2 & 3
5. Once you're comfortable with the group and pace (and vice versa), take some pulls.
6. Once you're comfortable taking pulls, try some attacks (if it's that kind of group ride).
7. Once you're comfortable with steps 5 & 6, it's time to enter a race.
8. At your first race, repeat steps 1-6, but substitute 'race' for 'group ride'.
This all sounds like good training, though why do I think that the fast groups out there, who probably run with a limit on how many riders they can accommodate, wouldn't be too ecstatic about having a new guy who's going to somehow hang off the back the whole time, when the rest of the line is in constant rotation?
Old 03-31-19, 06:22 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This all sounds like good training, though why do I think that the fast groups out there, who probably run with a limit on how many riders they can accommodate, wouldn't be too ecstatic about having a new guy who's going to somehow hang off the back the whole time, when the rest of the line is in constant rotation?
I've never done a group ride that was in a constant rotation. Race-sim rides are just about that, race-simulations. Definitely not constant rotation in that. Less difficult group rides are typically even more low-key, meaning sections of potential rotations and sections not. And some group rides have very little to no rotation, especially club rides or those with higher cat racers (though I guess those could go the other way with lots of screaming and pretend rotation and the like).

In any case, the recommendation is not to go out and find all the cat 1s and 2s you can and see how long you can hang (those rides would be rare in any case in the majority of the country). There are generally multiple group rides in an area. Try out a couple. He won't know without showing up and trying a few different ones.
Old 03-31-19, 06:32 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by dooner90

Also, does anyone have any ideas for finding riding friends where I live? I'm 28 and my friends are too poor or uninterested to ride.

You olddogs are wise. Thanks for your time.
Where in Illinois are you?
Old 03-31-19, 06:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I've never done a group ride that was in a constant rotation. Race-sim rides are just about that, race-simulations. Definitely not constant rotation in that. Less difficult group rides are typically even more low-key, meaning sections of potential rotations and sections not. And some group rides have very little to no rotation, especially club rides or those with higher cat racers (though I guess those could go the other way with lots of screaming and pretend rotation and the like).

In any case, the recommendation is not to go out and find all the cat 1s and 2s you can and see how long you can hang (those rides would be rare in any case in the majority of the country). There are generally multiple group rides in an area. Try out a couple. He won't know without showing up and trying a few different ones.
I guess I was thinking of the typical "A" style club group rides where paceline skills and rotation are typically expected. Not the hammerfest rides which are probably harder for a new (ie. OP) rider to go find as they're often the same group of folks week in and week out.
eg.. I was thinking of something like this... skipping to eg. 15-20 minutes

Old 03-31-19, 03:46 PM
dooner90

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big chainring
Where in Illinois are you?
Just Southwest of Chicago near Orland Park
Old 03-31-19, 09:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Can’t speak for everyone or every group ride, but I’d much rather have a new guy hang at the back and observe the rotation for a ride or two than getting in over his head and possibly disrupting the flow, or worse.
Old 04-01-19, 09:09 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Yeah, just go and hang out on the back and pay attention to what others are doing. Then join in once you get a feel for what's going on. From my experience, the main thing for you to do at first is to actually pay attention to what's going on. Lots of times new riders join our group, wait around at the back before getting near the front, but then when they get to the front it's like they didn't learn anything from watching. I think they sit on the back and just feel good for doing so & are crazy excited to join in - but they didn't really pay attention to how folks position themselves.

A common issue we see is that the new riders move crazy fast off the front. Most groups like folks to be slow and smooth with movements. If we see issues, we calmly talk to the person and explain what's going on. If you are with a good group, they will calmly provide suggestions.
Old 04-01-19, 12:03 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Typical rider who uses a powermeter and all associated doodads compiles massive data and has no idea how to use it. But the powermeter looks cool and that is what it is for.

Finding the right group to ride with is the whole story. Hope you find them. Any group that doesn't work, doesn't fit your expectations or wants, let them go.
Old 04-01-19, 02:47 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

Can’t speak for everyone or every group ride, but I’d much rather have a new guy hang at the back and observe the rotation for a ride or two than getting in over his head and possibly disrupting the flow, or worse.
^^^^I'll second that!
Old 04-01-19, 04:52 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dooner90
Also, I'm considering switching out the groupset on my 2017 Giant Defy.
If it's 105 or better, don't bother, for now. Just keep replacing the parts that wear (chain/cassette/tires/tape) and ride.

does anyone have any ideas for finding riding friends where I live? I'm 28 and my friends are too poor or uninterested to ride
Where'd you buy the bike? If it's a shop that mostly sells road bikes, I'd start with heading down there. As intimidating as it can be, just straight-up ask about local clubs/standing rides that start from the same place weekly... I'm sure there are many.

If you really want to geek-out, take a look at one of your own rides on Strava and review the FLYBY. Turn on all the other riders who were riding at the same time. From there, you ought to be able to see groups of riders, where they started, etc.

Go for a ride at 8am on Saturday and then review your Flyby and I'd be willing to bet you see a number of clusters of riders... Dig into that a bit and you'll probably find a group who all titled their ride 'CLUB-Z Sat Morn Ride' or something... Let the Google take you from there.

If you don't want to wait until you ride, consider taking a look at a local segment leaderboard, filter it by 'this week' or 'this month' and you can then sort by the date and will likely find clusters of people who did the segment at the same time. Stalk their rides a bit and, presto, you know they all seem to start from a given parking-lot ever Sunday morning at 9 (for instance.)
Old 04-01-19, 04:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I knew there had to be a reason I make my rides private... but could never until now figure out what my hangup was.
Old 04-01-19, 06:08 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I knew there had to be a reason I make my rides private... but could never until now figure out what my hangup was.
Pointless. I downloaded them all before you made them private. I have sold your data to Russia.
Old 04-01-19, 06:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli