Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Full suspension bike with mudguards

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 01-17-20, 06:56 AM
Dani3lG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Am I the only one to think that a decent bike is a bike with full suspension equipped with mudguards?
I was not able to find a full-suspension non-electric trekking/MTB bike with mudguards.
Does anyone know of a full-suspension non-electric trekking/MTB bike with mudguards for under 2000€ or should I open a new bike company myself to design and manufacture one? Hundreds upon hundreds of bycicle models, but all fall short of what is ideal.
Thanks!

Here some e-MTB I could find, but they are overpriced:
  • FOCUS THRON˛ 6.7 EQP
  • CUBE Stereo Hybrid 120 Race 625 Allroad 29 black´n´blue
  • FLYER Goroc4
Old 01-17-20, 10:27 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Not everyone rides in muddy conditions. Like racks, seats, handlebars etc. Just add your own. Mine does a quick clip on the seatpost. I put some plastic on the downtube and got something that goes on the fork crown. Not that hard to make some in coorplast ( looks like plastic cardboard)
Old 01-17-20, 12:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Mud guards are an aftermarket item for mountain bikes. Not everyone wants to have them, many people just ride in fair weather and in the mud they can cake up. For my commuting MTB here in CA, I only run them Dec-April. I have a Mucky Nutz full face on the front of mine and a Mudhugger on the rear. There's a front Mudhugger too. I don't recall if it was available back when I bought mine, I feel like I would have gotten it if I'd known about it. Mudhugger may or may not work on a FS depending on your rear triangle. I saw one mounted on a Ripmo, and the chain stays were too straight and the fender stuck up in the air, but if the chain stays are more upright so they resemble a hard tail, it's fine. Since then they have a new rear version that goes ahead of the chain stays - looks much like the front one but with slightly different angles. Looks like it would protect the bb but not your butt.

https://muckynutz.com/full_face_fender_black
https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/

These are for mud spatter, they are NOT going to protect you from road spray like full fenders on a road bike, which are designed to dump water downward onto the ground and really cannot deal with mud.

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-17-20 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-17-20, 01:05 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I only use one on the front to keep sand or loose soil from washing up into my face. in the rear i dont at all and wont. we cant ride in the wet here because it tears our trails up.
Old 01-17-20, 05:23 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Like Darth Lefty said, these are aftermarket accessories.

If you are looking to leave it on all the time, try Mudhuggers for a rock solid rear option. I've got one on the back of my rigid fatbike and it is the first rear fender that stays in place and has not broken off after a season of off-road use.

On my FS bike, if it is muddy enough to need fenders, I'm probably not going to ride it.
Old 01-20-20, 10:26 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Dani3lG
Am I the only one to think that a decent bike is a bike with full suspension equipped with mudguards?
More than likely the answer to that question is yes.

Riding in mud wrecks the components of the bike (shortens the useful life) and wrecks the trails. Majority of mountain bikers with a full suspension bike ride in dry conditions.