Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Penny pinching – slow build vs used complete?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-15-13, 12:10 PM
pttrnlanguage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

What do you think is a better value, building a bike from scratch – slowly, over a year or so – or finding the perfect used ride (scouring ebay/CL for 6 months).
Do ya'll have a strategy for either? I'm specifically curious if buying used drivetrain components is stupid or not
Old 10-15-13, 12:15 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I've tried the slow approach a couple times (3, I believe). Each time, I ended up way over budget (and that's doing all the work myself, if you took it to someone else to assemble, it would be way, way more expensive). Would have been much better off buying a used bike and being more patient or buying a frame and a donor bike.

Old 10-15-13, 12:16 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Depends on many factors, including, your personal finances, how much free time you have, your personality (can you delay gratification for THAT long), etc.

When I first began to ride, bikes were built from scratch--they were put together from various sources. Then they started selling bikes as whole kits (they still do). Now there seems to be a move back to building from scratch (as you call it). My Bottecchia and Colnago were built from scratch.

Good luck either way.
Old 10-15-13, 12:20 PM
pttrnlanguage

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The donor bike concept seems smart. There's a lot of great components to be had from weird sized/ugly/dumb bikes. Then just find a frame and patch up any needed upgrades. Anyone had a good experience with this?
My last used bike seemed awesome on paper, but replacing the drivetrain over my first 500 miles cost meant I ended up paying double on it. Could have bought a new one
Old 10-15-13, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Even working in Bike Shops I kept my Eye out for distributor's closeouts.

But, OP, has not stated what they want in the end.. a classic Race bike.
with all premium, period correct parts ..the C&V thing..

or a UJB JRA transportation Bike..

used chains and freewheels might be not in good shape by the time you get them,

but the crankarms if they use common bolt circle sizes ,

you can replace worn chainrings with new ones..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-15-13 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 12:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I enjoy building bikes from parts, but it's not the most economical way to do it. Even if you think you're getting a good deal, you have to factor in shipping and the time spent hunting them down. Far cheaper to buy a complete bike.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-15-13, 12:55 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I've done both. I built my '92 Schwinn Crosscut up from a frame I bought off of craigslist and spent 3 months finding the components I wanted on Craiglist, Ebay and swap meets. Not including the Brooks saddle, I think I spent about $450 on it and ended up with a bike that I feel is comparable to new bikes running around a grand. Even if I had bought something complete, I would have changed some components to suit me and that would have added to the cost.

It wasn't my only bike, however, so I had all the time I wanted to find the right parts at the right price.
Old 10-15-13, 01:11 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
If I am looking for very specific single components, the one piece at a time method I like to use. Otherwise I match specs and buy whats on sale/get a donor bike. FYI I do all my own work myself and even then, you end up upside down on the single component method.
Old 10-15-13, 02:17 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Well you could do both, buy a used bike and then slow-build it.

I built mine with new parts from Nashbar, Amazon and other online sources and it did cost about what a new bike would. But I wanted to use all new parts because I needed to know that if a problem arose it was something I probably did and not a worn-out part. Over time I've swapped out wheels and drive train parts, everything except the frame headset and fork in fact. Sure, it's a good way to spread out the expense. If you like to scrounge for used parts you could come out way ahead, buy new parts and you won't.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't go off the deep end buying a high end drivetrain, or stick to 8 or 9 speed, most of those parts are practically consumables.
Old 10-15-13, 02:22 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I briefly considered getting the frame I want and adding components but like others have found it turns out more expensive. To me it isn't worth the learning experience I would go through.
Old 10-15-13, 03:05 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Money aside, do you think that you'd like the building process or do you just want to ride?

The thing about building a bike slowly as you acquire parts is knowing when it's done. That's definitely my M.O., but the bikes tend to continually evolve over time so they're never really "done". I'm constantly thinking of something I want to add or change or do to it. I guess it would be more expensive to build a bike that way if you insist on all brand new parts, but a used bike will have all used parts too. Over time, your collection of bike components tends to grow and you can do a lot of putzing around for little or no money. My grand son and I built up a pretty nice road bike with leftover parts my son and I had and and I think the only things bought new were tires and handlebar tape.
Old 10-15-13, 03:05 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Depends. I built my Cannondale Six-13 around a used frame, mostly NOS Centaur and built my own Carbon tubulars. About $1300. I would never have found it already built, and even if I did, I think I did well on price by slow-build.

Campy Centaur, built 50 mm carbon tubulars using Chinese rims and hubs I had lying around, used frame. (front shown is a used Zipp, but the hub shell broke and I'm now using the homebuilt wheel)

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-15-13 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 03:52 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I enjoy building bikes from parts, but it's not the most economical way to do it. Even if you think you're getting a good deal, you have to factor in shipping and the time spent hunting them down. Far cheaper to buy a complete bike.
It depends on what you're building, what you're starting from, and how you feel about used parts.

If you don't mind an off-brand crankset and maybe brakes, you can get a complete brand new bike for about what you'd spend on a Shimano group imported from the UK.

OTOH, if you want a bike with this year's $1100 Chorus gruppo that'll probably be a $4000 bike and you could spend less on a custom build that's exactly what you want.

Bike parts breed. Although I practice serial monogamy with my bicycles I'd just need handle bars, stem, and headset to turn a frameset into a bike.

In other situations you want something different or more contemporary and not a +1. Starting from mostly there is a lot less expensive - I joined the 10 cog era with NOS 2010 Campagnolo Centaur Carbon Ultrashift levers, used 2004-2006 Record Titanium derailleurs, and new chain + NOS cogs for $600 which would not have happened used in the form of a complete bike.

Used the way you want often isn't a viable option. In a few years of looking I've yet to see a titanium Litespeed cyclocross bike in my size setup the way I'd want or even just a frame.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 10-15-13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 08:08 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by pttrnlanguage
What do you think is a better value, building a bike from scratch – slowly, over a year or so – or finding the perfect used ride (scouring ebay/CL for 6 months).
Do ya'll have a strategy for either? I'm specifically curious if buying used drivetrain components is stupid or not
I don't believe in the slow approach. If I'm going to build, I'll can build a bike up from nothing to functional bike in less than 8 hours...and that includes driving 60 miles round trip to get the frame and building a new set of wheels from scratch. I strike hard, fast and get it done without needless delay.

That said, I only build bikes from scratch because I get something that I want that I can't purchase. If I can purchase the whole bike, I'll go that route because it is much, much cheaper. Even used bikes are cheaper to buy the whole bike than to build one.

Drivetrain components aren't all equal. Derailers, wheels and cranks are usually okay if they don't show visible signs of damage. Shifters, especially old ones, can be tricky because they might not shift properly. Old ones tend to get gummy inside and don't work properly. You can salvage them by spraying WD40 or another solvent in them and get them working again. I've done it numerous times.

The only drivetrain part that I would hesitate buy used would be cassettes and chains. You can't easily tell how much wear the cassette has seen. It may be okay or it may skip. A chain you can measure wear but then both cassettes and chains are relatively cheap. Buy both new and save yourself a lot of grief.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-16-13, 08:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Bike parts breed. Although I practice serial monogamy with my bicycles I'd just need handle bars, stem, and headset to turn a frameset into a bike.
I don't practice serial monogamy with my bikes...I have a harem...and I have a pile of parts. Recently I needed a bike to take to Tucson when my daughter moved there. I was able to build up a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro from the parts I had in my parts bin. That's frame (had one), 100mm suspension fork, wheels, crank, derailers, shifters, cassette, brakes, brake levers, saddle, seat post, stem and handlebars. The only thing I had to buy was knobby tires and a chain. It's kind of frightening. And I still have enough parts left over for a road bike if I want...I even have the frame
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-23-20, 12:48 PM
pttrnlanguage

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I posted this thread over 6 years ago. Glad to report that during that time I've relished every moment of slowly building up several bikes over time.
Raise a glass to N+1!
Likes For pttrnlanguage:
Old 01-23-20, 01:01 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by pttrnlanguage
I posted this thread over 6 years ago. Glad to report that during that time I've relished every moment of slowly building up several bikes over time.
Raise a glass to N+1!
It is a very enjoyable process. Though the lack of affordable hydraulic disc brake group sets is thwarting me a bit in a potential "any road bike" build.
Old 01-23-20, 01:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Welcome back
Old 01-23-20, 03:53 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
I built up my most recent bike, mainly because I didn't want to deal with the lower end parts added by manufactures to cut prices (wheels, headset, BB, etc...). I was patient and shopped used for certain parts and the end result was a better bike for the money. However, having a 2nd bike to ride while you are putting it together is important. I would of spent more to get things right away if I didn't have other bikes to ride.