Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It's the same with every hobby!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It's the same with every hobby!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 12:49 PM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I just need to find a hobby where the crap I purchase appreciates in value.
Likes For PickleRick:
Old 02-25-20, 02:16 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Sadly, yes, because some people take certain issues WAAAAY too seriously, and all they need is an opening from someone else and they're off and running. Sorry.
Nah, you're absolutely right. What I said, which to me was obviously not real, was to others not so obviously impossible. So I shouldn't even talk about the 20mm Bofors mounted to my front rack?*.

Old 02-25-20, 03:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Nah, you're absolutely right. What I said, which to me was obviously not real, was to others not so obviously impossible. So I shouldn't even talk about the 20mm Bofors mounted to my front rack?*.

Don't even joke about such a crime against aerodynamics.
Old 02-25-20, 04:33 PM
J Palmer Cass

Bikes: ICE Adventure, TSDZ2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Some people's hobby is the doing and some people's hobby is the gear with which the doing is done. Some people are satisfied with one good bike, gun, hi-fi, camera---whatever---and then get about using it. A good musician will sound good on any guitar.
Old 02-26-20, 11:11 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Modify a perfectly good drop bar bike? Who, me? What on earth would ever give you that idea?

Old 02-27-20, 07:46 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Pretty much true. In addition to an interest in cycling, I used to be into high end audio, currently somewhat into shoes, watches, and lately, pocket knives.

Every hobby has people that take things too far. And it makes sense why. If one bicycle is good, two must be better, and so on to the point where you start thinking about needing a bicycle for every possible riding scenario, never mind that you probably ride one or two bikes 99% of the time. Same goes with shoes. Shoe collectors obsess over getting just the right shoe for the rotation, say something between a dress and casual boot, or whether a blucher or derby is appropriate to wear with a suit, or the opposite, whether you can get away with wearing a black or dark brown oxford with khaki pants. Then there is the world of watches, where collectors worry about whether they can wear a sport watch with a suit, or dare to wear a dress watch with jeans. Or god forbid, wear a cheap quartz watch to an important business meeting.
Now I am learning about pocket knives, and it is odd how many people obsess about this type of steel vs. that type of steel. Or flipper type tactical knives vs. traditional slip joint knives. And again, most people need a pocket knife or pocket multitool for light cutting tasks and pretty much any decent knife will get the job done, and there is no need to buy more than one or two, or to spend more than $50, and yet there are people who spend hundreds of dollars on a knife and own dozens, of pocket knives. At some point, the collecting becomes the point.
Old 02-27-20, 08:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by MRT2
Pretty much true. In addition to an interest in cycling, I used to be into high end audio, currently somewhat into shoes, watches, and lately, pocket knives.

Every hobby has people that take things too far. And it makes sense why. If one bicycle is good, two must be better, and so on to the point where you start thinking about needing a bicycle for every possible riding scenario, never mind that you probably ride one or two bikes 99% of the time. Same goes with shoes. Shoe collectors obsess over getting just the right shoe for the rotation, say something between a dress and casual boot, or whether a blucher or derby is appropriate to wear with a suit, or the opposite, whether you can get away with wearing a black or dark brown oxford with khaki pants. Then there is the world of watches, where collectors worry about whether they can wear a sport watch with a suit, or dare to wear a dress watch with jeans. Or god forbid, wear a cheap quartz watch to an important business meeting.
Now I am learning about pocket knives, and it is odd how many people obsess about this type of steel vs. that type of steel. Or flipper type tactical knives vs. traditional slip joint knives. And again, most people need a pocket knife or pocket multitool for light cutting tasks and pretty much any decent knife will get the job done, and there is no need to buy more than one or two, or to spend more than $50, and yet there are people who spend hundreds of dollars on a knife and own dozens, of pocket knives. At some point, the collecting becomes the point.

Actually, to the extent that any hobby is rational, that kind of collecting makes sense to me--you acquire as you learn more and you expand your capabilities to take advantage of different features. Where I think marketers make the big bank off irrationality is when someone who is new to the hobby jumps in thinking they have to start with expensive "connoisseur" level stuff (no matter what the activity) with differentiating features they won't be using and/or wouldn't have the capacity to notice the difference with a cheaper version. In some cases, they would actually be better off getting the "entry level" version as it might actually be easier for the beginner/casual user to use. For example, I've had several people tell me that their bike stays in the garage because they don't want to take the time to change shoes and put on kit. In other words, they're very well-equipped for a type of riding they really don't want to do.
Old 02-27-20, 09:10 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
It’s easy to get carried away with what one enjoys. Let’s face it: We all like toys! My wife has gotten into sewing. She’s “collecting” fabric for projects. I won’t tell what she’s invested in machines and supplies, but it ain’t cheap!

Looks like I’m going down the photography rabbit hole again. I bought an old 6x6 slr “system” for under $200 so I can shoot B&W film again. I’m not planning to have a darkroom again, but I’ve found an enlarger for $50...

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 02-27-20, 10:57 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Weird Things To Collect

"Normal Things that are somewhat weird" include: walking sticks, aboriginal masks, boomerangs, chess sets...

"Not-normal Things that belie a mental disorder if collected" include: empty cat food tins, toenail clippings, broken dolls, things found on the roadside...
Old 02-27-20, 03:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
"Normal Things that are somewhat weird" include: walking sticks, aboriginal masks, boomerangs, chess sets...

"Not-normal Things that belie a mental disorder if collected" include: empty cat food tins, toenail clippings, broken dolls, things found on the roadside...
Grievances. Some people get 6 months bans for having that collection.
Old 02-27-20, 03:53 PM
badger1

Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Grievances. Some people get 6 months bans for having that collection.
... or committed ... indefinitely (or as we say up here, at the pleasure of the Governor-General in right of Her Majesty the Queen).
Old 02-28-20, 01:41 AM
Jbo26

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Best Hobby I know. Great way to see new places. I think best form of exercise (very low impact on bones and joints). Great for the environment. Ride On!
Old 02-28-20, 10:21 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Definitely true in motorcycles.

In R/C racing it was more about fads for each kind of car. If the shop owner can get enough of the regulars at the track to try it he can make the rent for one more month. Some things were just too fast to drive well (gas touring cars) or too expensive for all but the single grownups (t-Maxx) but people would try it for a while.

I went over the top on RC cars for a while. You are correct -- the new school Velineon electric motors can make almost anything too fast to drive competitively
Old 02-28-20, 11:01 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I went over the top on RC cars for a while. You are correct -- the new school Velineon electric motors can make almost anything too fast to drive competitively
You can always install more power in an R/C car. That's why there were stock motors, and a lot of people ran those classes even though no one loved them. Right around the time I was giving it up, someone - Trinity, maybe - had introduced a 19 turn fixed timing ball bearing motor as an alternative. In a 4wd buggy it wasn't quite enough power but in a stadium truck it was a lot of fun. You could make the jumps the modified cars could but it wasn't so bonkers on the straights
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-28-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-01-20, 01:47 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Music gear is, in many ways, even worse. My SO plays guitar and I play drums. Sure, you can only play one guitar at a time, but those pedals are a rabbit hole, and I try not to think about amps and mods. Don't even get me started on cymbals. With an instrument that is a bunch of instruments, the only limitation is the size of the practice space.

At least I can only ride one bike at a time, which keeps things in check a bit. Five bikes seems sufficient...so long as I don't take up MTB, BMX, fatbiking, or cyclocross...
Old 03-02-20, 11:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Music gear is, in many ways, even worse. My SO plays guitar and I play drums. Sure, you can only play one guitar at a time, but those pedals are a rabbit hole, and I try not to think about amps and mods. Don't even get me started on cymbals. With an instrument that is a bunch of instruments, the only limitation is the size of the practice space.

At least I can only ride one bike at a time, which keeps things in check a bit. Five bikes seems sufficient...so long as I don't take up MTB, BMX, fatbiking, or cyclocross...

Now I'm going to trigger you into buying lots of toms:
Old 03-02-20, 11:21 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamstring
I just noticed something about cyclists and those who sell cycles and gear to them.
It seems everyone wants something a bit in between a road bike and a mountain bike, something in between a gravel bike and a road bike and so on...…..
And the manufacturers are more than willing to sell you the stuff you need or build your custom bike, for a price.
But it's the same with everything.

Motorcycles, someone's always trying to make an adventure bike out of a street bike or a dirt bike out of an adventure bike.
Cross trainers looking for the perfect gym/running shoe. Lol!
It's unending!
Just an observation.
The problem for me is, I gotta make sure I don't get roped into that kind of thinking. I can't afford it!

Throw Photography in the mix and you have the perfect trinity of expensive hobbies where you're always trying to get the 'next best thing'.
Old 03-02-20, 12:23 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
This thread got me thinking. In the 60s I was a paperboy with a rural route. Lots of bike riding every day on my Huffy. I also caddied at a golf course on the weekends and that required a ten mile ride one way and back again. I did all that riding a 35 lb bike with 26" ballon tires and I probably weighed less than 90lbs myself at barely 5' tall. How did I do that on a bike that wasn't "road, gravel, mountain or CX"? At 13-14 years old...there is no pain. Except when Charlene wouldn't even look at me...I suffered greatly.
Likes For smoore:
Old 03-02-20, 12:30 PM
J Palmer Cass

Bikes: ICE Adventure, TSDZ2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Often, the better the drummer the simpler the kit; many of the best used 4 and 5 piece kits.
Old 03-02-20, 12:43 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Many, if not most hobbies turn into collections. Hence we collect one more piece of equipment that is a "need". However think of hobbies that are "collections" to begin with.

Baseball cards, coins, stamps, roses, Civil War relics, etc. Those hobbies never, ever end....and can really mess you up if you're not careful.
Old 03-02-20, 12:58 PM
joel1952

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Marketing

Marketing 101---"Create a Need"
Not just for hobbies, it applies to every product or service. Cars, phones, 3000 mile auto oil changes

Marketing 102--"Create Customer Confusion"
Present consumers with multiple options and invariably they will be confused by the benefits and opt for the more expensive models

Last edited by joel1952; 03-02-20 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 01:30 PM
Mr Carl

Bikes: Too many personal bikes to mention on here

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I keep telling my wife, "no more bikes". Then I drag home something that resembles a bike saying it won't take much to fix it. I now have several custom made bicycles that I made thanks to eBay and my LBS.
Old 03-02-20, 02:15 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 323 Posts
OP: This is the mindset that gave way to "crossover" vehicles; Part station wagon, part sport ute. My feelings are, you can go a little bit toward compromise, but not for serious applications; That crossover will have AWD and be good in snow and a dirt road and better fuel economy than a truck, but don't take it off-road. My Dahon folder has been retrofitted with big racks and panniers to hold as much as a touring bike for local shopping, but I don't think the frame has the durability of a dedicated touring bike. My sailboat is an open 15'er, comfortable to sail and roomy, but it doesn't have the speed of a lighter dinghy nor the accommodations of a keelboat. The F-35 is supposed to be both a fighter and an attack aircraft, but does neither as well as existing dedicated aircraft like the F-22 and A-10.
Old 03-05-20, 11:45 AM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by J Palmer Cass
Often, the better the drummer the simpler the kit; many of the best used 4 and 5 piece kits.
... and the best drummers hold the sticks by the small end...