Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Tall guy who wants to get into Mountain Biking :-)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-20, 11:12 AM
favabean1982

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the same question about recumbents-I'm 6'7", but am having zero luck in finding a mountain bike that'll fit my needs outside of raising the seatpost some crazy amount. Any thoughts?
Old 03-04-20, 12:35 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Try Zinn bikes, Surly too. I'm 6'4". Finding any XXL?
Old 03-04-20, 04:58 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Look into what Reggie Miller (NBA) rides. That may help. He's an avid mountain biker and he's pretty tall.
Old 03-04-20, 07:18 PM
MoreLowGears

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 5 Posts
Is a custom frame build an option? Those come in any size.
Old 03-06-20, 02:00 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Are you looking at hardtail or full suspension? Santa Cruz does an XXL size, which is marketed as being appropriate for riders 6'4"-6'7" on many of their full suspension bikes. KHS makes the BNT model in XXL and XXXL at around $1700 for a pretty nice hardtail. Specialized, to their credit, makes some of their bikes, like their budget Rockhopper series, in an XXL size that you could also probably make fit sanely. Unfortunately I can think of no other mainstream brands that make a more budget oriented model for riders your height than that. Good luck!
Old 03-07-20, 07:22 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
This is a fun site for tall guys looking for bikes with appropriate stack and reach:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/a.../StackandReach
Old 03-22-20, 02:34 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Try Zinn bikes, Surly too. I'm 6'4". Finding any XXL?

This, without a doubt, the best advice. At 6' 7", you may need a custom bike as well as much longer cranks than the industry usually provides. And if you cannot afford custom, Zinn should be able to point you in the correct direction. A 6'4" roommate of mine rode and raced on 180mm cranks for decades. Then he was introduced to Zinn who put him on 193mm cranks. (And let me add that 13mm may not seem like much, but it's a MILE. I switched to 5mm longer cranks while on a ride one day and I didn't expect to notice the difference. Not only was the difference obvious, it felt like I was turning cranks almost twice as long!) My roommate says "I rediscovered cycling!" after switching to proper crank lengths. In hindsight, he realizes his biomechanics on the bike were terrible. Only after switching to correct crank length did he feel "free" on the bike. Plus, he suffered an injury while racing - a tendon pulled part of his bone off, apparently because he wasn't getting proper leverage on the crank arms.

But going custom for you will be expensive. You want to ride a bicycle comfortably, with proper fit and biomechanics. It's something that the "average" person achieves usually without much thought. But you will have to search to find this. If, say, Santa Cruz, can provide an off-the-shelf fit for you, then you're very lucky. Looking at their website, the XXL may be a fit. However, all the Hightower frame sizes show 170mm cranks, which must be a mistake. The XXL Tallboy lists 175mm cranks, which are most certainly WAY TOO SMALL for you.

But if there are a few manufacturers out there providing a fit for someone your height (as Santa Cruz indicates), then you're lucky. The industry abandoned such large sizes over 20 years ago. Glad to see they're making the effort. But you'll probably have to make some changes to achieve ideal fit.
Old 03-23-20, 12:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
KHS makes the BNT 29er. They also make the Flite 747 road bike in 2XL and 3XL.

Dirty Sixer makes frames frm 2XL-5XL on 32" and 36" tires. But it seems to me like he's having trouble finding longer suspension forks to go with.

Ventana near me in Rancho Cordova makes aluminum mountain bike frames of all styles in custom sizes.
Genesis 49:16-17