Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Driverless cars today... where will they be in 5 years...

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Driverless cars today... where will they be in 5 years...

Old 02-27-20, 05:37 PM
alo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 68 Posts
The key is safety. If driverless cars have 1% of the accidents of cars with drivers, there will be a public outcry. Driverless cars are expected to never have accidents, and they should get very close to that.

So they trial them in small areas. Whenever there is a problem, they make modifications to improve the system. When they are very confident about the safety of driverless cars, they will be rolled out on a larger scale.

The unknown is how many years that will take.

Once it happens, all, or nearly all new cars will be driverless.
Old 02-27-20, 06:35 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 325 Posts
I think 1% is an exaggeration, but yes, I think it will (and should) take a rigorously-demonstrated large reduction in automated accidents vs humans before regulations will allow them.

Quite possible that this will cause the U.S. to lag behind other, less bureaucratic countries in the realm of automated cars.
Old 02-27-20, 11:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 242 Posts
I'm still hoping for MOPAR or NO CAR before I die.

Old 02-28-20, 05:44 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 8174 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I think 1% is an exaggeration, but yes, I think it will (and should) take a rigorously-demonstrated large reduction in automated accidents vs humans before regulations will allow them.

Quite possible that this will cause the U.S. to lag behind other, less bureaucratic countries in the realm of automated cars.
At this point many new cars have collision avoidance features... I wonder if any of that is showing a statistical reduction in collisions.

There are some early reports that some features seem to be reducing certain types of collisions, but overall, I have not seen any recent reports that indicate a vast reduction in collisions... and certainly Tesla collisions continue to occur, thus bluring the lines even more.

Last edited by genec; 02-28-20 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-28-20, 10:02 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by genec View Post
At this point many new cars have collision avoidance features... I wonder if any of that is showing a statistical reduction in collisions.

There are some early reports that some features seem to be reducing certain types of collisions, but overall, I have not seen any recent reports that indicate a vast reduction in collisions... and certainly Tesla collisions continue to occur, thus bluring the lines even more.
Are there any statistical breakdowns of Tesla collisions in autopilot vs human-driven buckets? And vs non-Teslas? Or perhaps vs only comparable non-Teslas (like BMWs and other sports cars that would correlate with aggressive driving)?
Old 02-28-20, 10:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11535 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post

​​​​​​I heard on the radio that fatal collisions are up in states that have legalized marijuana. Maybe smarter cars are helping to offset that.
Old 03-07-20, 02:23 AM
genec
genec

Oh, gee, look, you can fool an AV vision system.
https://theconversation.com/amp/auto...stacles-129427

Oh gee, look, you can fool a human, too.
https://www.insider.com/optical-illu...driving-2019-5
Old 03-09-20, 10:02 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 188 Posts
The problem with those optical illusion crosswalks is they only tend to 'work' once, or on drivers who only infrequently drive that route and forget it's an illusion.

After the first time, regular drivers will go right back to flying through without looking, while texting and putting on makeup... :/
Old 03-09-20, 10:03 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Cool, but not really comparable. Fooling the human does not cause danger.
Old 03-10-20, 12:47 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
The problem with those optical illusion crosswalks is they only tend to 'work' once, or on drivers who only infrequently drive that route and forget it's an illusion.

After the first time, regular drivers will go right back to flying through without looking, while texting and putting on makeup... :/
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Cool, but not really comparable. Fooling the human does not cause danger.
Fooling the camera only system (Tesla) is pretty easy, with resulting danger that the vehicle sped up.

Fooling the LIDAR system required a complex timing situation, and resulted in braking, that only a human driver, following too closely, would fail to respond to.

Fooling the LIDAR system required precise active timing...
However, it’s more difficult to spoof the LiDAR sensor to “see” a “vehicle” that isn’t there. To succeed, the attacker needs to precisely time the signals shot at the victim LiDAR. This has to happen at the nanosecond level, since the signals travel at the speed of light. Small differences will stand out when the LiDAR is calculating the distance using the measured time-of-flight.
Fooling the human, required paint.
Likes For genec: