Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Goethals Bridge shared use path is open

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-20, 11:38 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts

Goethals Bridge shared use path now open to pedestrians and cyclists.
Old 03-08-20, 07:12 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks for the update. It's been on OpenStreetMap https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1....1950&layers=C for a while; Google Map is always late to the party.

If you've biked across it, what's the NJ end like? I've biked in the industrial park NE of the bridge (e.g.: IKEA) but not in this specific Elizabeth neighborhood. If it's not Mordor, from maps, it looks like one of Mordor's suburbs.
Old 03-08-20, 07:24 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

I was actually going to do it today but got sidetracked. Might give it a go tomorrow as I have some time off work. Will let you know.
Old 03-09-20, 05:56 AM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Awesome news, Rage ! Now, if only they create one for the Verazzano, which from everything I need is never, ever going to happen. Still, this is great. Because at least there are two MTA busses with bike racks that go over the bridge.
Old 03-09-20, 06:13 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Verazzano bike or shared use path would be a game-changer.
You’re probably right that it won’t ever happen, tho.
They originally designed it with pedestrian crossing in mind so it already has the infrastructure to support a shared use path. It probably wouldn’t be crazy hard to just get that done. But all the people jumping off it kinda puts a damper on that. The fear is that with such access, more people would jump off the Verazzano. So the people that want to end their lives jumping off bridges ruin it for the rest of us.
Not making light of metal illness or depression or anything like that, but jeeze...