Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Derailleur shifting struggles

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 04:27 AM
Amel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I recently received an old Vivente World Radenneour from a mate which had been very poorly maintained. I'm in the process of getting everything working again and am struggling getting the front derailleur to shift correctly.

The front derailleur is a 3 speed Shimano deore xt. To get the gears to shift from inner most to middle chainring I've got to remove all tension from the cable, and shift it twice to on the shifter. This then makes the cable very tight and I really have to force the shifter to get it to click over and shift to middle chainring.

This still happens when I've adjusted the position of the front derailleur height and alignment as per the Park tool instructions (not allowed to post links) and adjusted the lower limit screw to ensure that any movement of the shifter translates to movement of the derailleur.

The shifters are Shimano Sora. This is gradually driving me insane so any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated! I guess I could take it to the LBS....
Old 03-22-20, 06:35 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
First, you need to isolate the problem. Disconnect the cable from the derailleur and move the derailleur directly, by hand. Can it sweep all three chainrings smoothly, without binding? If not, lubricate all the pivots generously and work the derailleur through it's sweep to see if it comes free and moves smoothly. If not, replace the derailleur.

Next, the cable. Are there any abrupt bends or excessive loops of housing? Sometimes, whoever set up the bike initially didn't bother to trim the housings to optimum length. Pull the housings off the cable and look for rust, kinks in the housing, splayed housing ends, etc. Trim or replace as needed. If the cable is rusty, frayed, broken strands, etc., replace the cable.

Finally, the shifter. With the cable disconnected from the derailleur, operate the shifter. Does it move smoothly through its range, and if indexed, click into place appropriately? If not, lubricate generously and keep trying. Still no joy? Replace the shifter.

HTH…
Old 03-22-20, 06:50 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Amel
... adjusted the lower limit screw to ensure that any movement of the shifter translates to movement of the derailleur
You should adjust the lower limit screw to provide a 1mm or so clearance between the chain and derailleur cage when in small front big rear combination then leave it alone. You adjust the indexing for proper shifting from small to middle ring.
Also, ensure that the front shift wire is correctly routed to the clamp screw; it usually goes OVER the little tab above the screw, not direct. If you go direct you shorten the lever arm, increasing the needed effort and throwing off the indexing.
Old 03-22-20, 08:11 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Also, ensure that the front shift wire is correctly routed to the clamp screw; it usually goes OVER the little tab above the screw, not direct. If you go direct you shorten the lever arm, increasing the needed effort and throwing off the indexing.
^^^^
This: It's a common issue, it's easily overlooked and it's counter intuitive.
Old 03-22-20, 09:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Sora is a road group, Deore XT is a MtB group. Shimano never intended the front shifters and ders to work properly together. The amount of cable that the shifter pulls isn't what the der wants. Also the earlier MtB cranksets also were slightly wider, the rings were spaced a tad further apart, so the ft der had to travel further to effect the shift. This miss match is usually discovered by "no amount of cable tension fiddling will help" type of playing around.

The der limit screws have nothing to do with cable tension. "and adjusted the lower limit screw to ensure that any movement of the shifter translates to movement of the derailleur" What the limit screw will do WRT cables is to change the base point of no further inward or outer travel and thus how the inner or the outer rings and cage line up against each other. The cable can be set as loose or tight as can be with any screw position. Andy
Old 03-22-20, 07:40 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Amel
Hi,

I recently received an old Vivente World Radenneour from a mate which had been very poorly maintained. I'm in the process of getting everything working again and am struggling getting the front derailleur to shift correctly.

The front derailleur is a 3 speed Shimano deore xt. To get the gears to shift from inner most to middle chainring I've got to remove all tension from the cable, and shift it twice to on the shifter. This then makes the cable very tight and I really have to force the shifter to get it to click over and shift to middle chainring.

This still happens when I've adjusted the position of the front derailleur height and alignment as per the Park tool instructions (not allowed to post links) and adjusted the lower limit screw to ensure that any movement of the shifter translates to movement of the derailleur.

The shifters are Shimano Sora. This is gradually driving me insane so any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated! I guess I could take it to the LBS....
You have a "road" shifter & "mountain" FDER. They have different cable pull ratios. One must be changed to match the other.
9 speed & less rear is generally cross compatible.
Old 03-25-20, 04:51 AM
Amel

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
^^^^
This: It's a common issue, it's easily overlooked and it's counter intuitive.
Turns out that it was this! So very frustrating. Thanks for all the assistance, much appreciated.
Old 03-25-20, 03:43 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
Housing ages over time. Eventually, it imparts so much friction on the system, it renders indexed shifting impossible. If you have to push or pull hard on the shifter to get it to move, it's probably a housing problem. Lubing and cleaning are useless. Damaged housing and housing ends, or ferrules cause problems too. Replace housing to restore "like new" shifting. Cut ends square, grind flat (if you're obsessive like me) and install ferrules. Lube with non-petroleum lubrication. Make sure housing is as short as possible, while still maintaining proper curvature and can accommodate handlebar turn.

Front derailleur position is important too. Height from chainrings as well as angle on seat tube are critical. Mixing road and non-road components causes problems. Road rings are too big for a mountain derailleur. And as was mentioned, mixing shifters also causes problems. Clamping the cable on the wrong side of the arm can also be the culprit. And then there's the dreaded "Campy-itis" many front derailleurs suffer. Especially the old ones. Old front derailleurs needed a custom bend to the front of the inside plate to induce proper shifting into the big ring.

So many factors at play!