Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Vs Cars Vs E-Scooter

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-25-20, 09:10 PM
Cheez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Hi guys,
It's been a while since I posted about my mountain bike that I used to ride for commute. I've been suffering from dealing with the traffic. I couldn't keep up with it anymore as car drivers are hostile toward me blasting their horns at me, yelling at me, cussing at me, I was even almost run off the road by these drivers. Because of this ongoing hostility I didn't wanna ride bike anymore... Long story short, two months ago God led me to look into electric scooter and told me to buy one for $2600. He picked out the one just right for me. It had plenty of meat (electric power) to really shove it. It's from China so it takes a long time to get it delivered.. God knew that I didn't wanna ride bike no more and I needed a transportation to get to work until the scooter gets here so he told me to go buy an used car for $2800 OTD.. So I've been driving my car to get to work for the time being.. So now I end up having two bicycles, a new car, and a new scooter! As much as it may seem illogical God told me it's OK and that it was his will for me.

I hope I don't get trouble for posting scooter here as I could not find scooter section of this forum so I posted here..
Generic brand scooter with 5600 watt 60V (dual motor) with front and back shocks and it comes with a seat! It's got a brake light and turn signals!
Here is the video of my scooter it was delivered a week ago..

Last edited by Cheez; 03-25-20 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-26-20, 06:37 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Sounds like a lot of internal mental reasoning to justify a purchase. Did i get on the wrong forum today? H E double hockey sticks, if g-d told you to do it, then why are you asking us here?
Likes For FlMTNdude:
Old 03-26-20, 07:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 267 Posts
Sigh...

@Cheez - you're likely suffering the aftereffects of some psychological trauma, leading you to self justify through delusions. Theologically looking at what you've written, you were given no notion of why God would want you to accumulate so many forms of transportation for no other purpose than getting to work? Possible, but unlikely. Maybe counseling from a qualified person. Faith-based rather than secular, so that you aren't overcoming initial prejudices against your mental frame of reference. Go back to the source of trauma and work forward from there.

The incidents relating to driver aggression toward you? That's a lifetime's worth in a few months? Either you are riding unsafely and causing drivers to avoid you (likely) or these voices are in your head (more likely).

Oh, and there's an electric bike sub-forum for discussing the finer points of your scooter.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-26-20, 07:24 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 167 Posts
Air tight reasoning. Who can argue with God?
Old 03-26-20, 07:53 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 167 Posts
What's wrong with that? I don't even approve of every decision that I personally have made. I just did what I thought was the best decision at the time. OP just shared his thought process with us. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-26-20, 08:24 AM
Cheez

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
Sigh...

@Cheez - you're likely suffering the aftereffects of some psychological trauma, leading you to self justify through delusions. Theologically looking at what you've written, you were given no notion of why God would want you to accumulate so many forms of transportation for no other purpose than getting to work? Possible, but unlikely. Maybe counseling from a qualified person. Faith-based rather than secular, so that you aren't overcoming initial prejudices against your mental frame of reference. Go back to the source of trauma and work forward from there.

The incidents relating to driver aggression toward you? That's a lifetime's worth in a few months? Either you are riding unsafely and causing drivers to avoid you (likely) or these voices are in your head (more likely).

Oh, and there's an electric bike sub-forum for discussing the finer points of your scooter.
No I don't ride my bike dangerously causing problems to the drivers. I ride very close to the curb and obey traffic law the same way the vehicle drivers are required. When the devil attacks you your life gets difficult and become a rollercoaster ride. It will be extraordinary. Or out of the ordinary. The devil uses people to attack someone (like me for example) at the right time at the right place as if it was staged or calculated precisely. I got attacked by the drivers almost every single time when I'm on my bike. There is no guarantee I'm not gonna have trouble with scooter riding either, but it sure is fun and thrilling experience. I think God is giving me cheering me up and give me strength to endure with him in my walk with him.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
What's wrong with that? I don't even approve of every decision that I personally have made. I just did what I thought was the best decision at the time. OP just shared his thought process with us. Your mileage may vary.
Thank you for your kindness and support for understanding.

Guys, this scooter is fast. I already rode to work twice already. There is so much torque and takes off like a rocket...I almost lost the grip on my handlebar and fell off the scooter when I first tried it. The acceleration is unreal... it gets to 40-45 mph in like 3 or 4 seconds. And I did get to top speed of 55 mph. I had no trouble keeping up with the traffic. And the drivers don't need to worry about waiting for me to pick up speed when the light turns to green because I can out-accelerate all of them. The scooter is more than sufficient to be in the traffic. I had to take it easy on the throttle though to conserve battery level. It has three speed settings and has ECO and ability to switch from single motor to dual motor. Speed setting 3 with dual motor gives you full power. A lot of drivers turned heads drawing attention to my scooter.. I got compliments already from a Lexus IS300 driver and a Ford pickup work truck driver...
Old 03-26-20, 11:17 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 104 Posts
Nope, there are no appropriate BF subforums for discussions of electric scooters/motorcycles/whatever such as what you now have. Except maybe Foo?
Old 03-26-20, 12:02 PM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
... I got attacked by the drivers almost every single time when I'm on my bike...
Well, that is unusual. I've been bicycle riding on roads for 45 years over three States in which I've resided, and I've never been attacked even once. Not that I can recall anyway.

Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
...I almost lost the grip on my handlebar and fell off the scooter when I first tried it...
Fanciful description. So, you were surprised, but didn't fall?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-26-20, 03:14 PM
Cheez

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
Well, that is unusual. I've been bicycle riding on roads for 45 years over three States in which I've resided, and I've never been attacked even once. Not that I can recall anyway.
One person could have no problems while the other person could have nightmare experience with the same bike, on the same road, at the same time.. Come surrender to God and be born again (receiving the Holy Spirit) and the life will get very difficult on you... to the point almost unbearable. I had easy comfy normal life till 2015 until I received God's spirit.

Fanciful description. So, you were surprised, but didn't fall?
I kind of knew what I was getting into cause of its power rating.. but it was faster than I anticipated. I rode my scooter to work today and got too excited and started speeding. Even though I was going sufficiently fast a few cars tried to pass me so I sped up and pass them back. One guy in a SUV ended up going well over 60 mph to just to pass me it was unnecessary.... He went about 25 mph over the speed limit. The other drivers realized how fast my scooter was and backed off and stayed back... they underestimated my scooter only to find out they've been dead wrong.. I cruised at around 47~ 52 mph most of the way and God was not happy with that... especially when I tried to race other cars.. I had to repent and told God (Jesus) I will go a little slower and stay with the traffic next time. He said try to go 40~ 42 mph but don't go faster than that unless the whole traffic is moving at faster speed.

My scooter has very wide road tires (11 inch diameter). but the cornering performance is not good... it handles worse than a car so I have to take it more easy on the turns.. However it absorbs bumps on the road very well... even minor pot holes it can take it without losing control... the suspension travel on both front and back is long and they are built solid. The scooter is also funny it's a bit unstable at speeds below 35 mph. But when you get to 40 and up it gets stable...

It sure is fun... the first time when I rode it it was scary going that fast. But after a couple of practices you get used to the speed quickly... And No I don't ride my scooter in the rain cause I don't want water get in my motors and rust over time... In the rainy days I drive my car to work.

Update: I just ordered a phone mount for my scooter so I can record the video of me riding it in traffic. It should arrive by Monday of next week. Stay tuned..

Last edited by Cheez; 03-26-20 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 10:32 AM
Cheez

Hi guys.. I finally got to record a video of my scooter riding in traffic. It's a round trip to work and back without recharging. It's a full footage, action packed. Get your popcorn out and enjoy the show..

Old 04-03-20, 06:41 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Bikes and E scooters are easier to store and park, and don't require gas. Batteries in E scooters deteriorate over time, my scooter's range decreased by about one-third after one year, and now it goes less than half as far as it did when new, replacement batteries cost as much as the scooter, though you can buy cells on eBay and install them yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron. My favorite road bike is now 22 years old, and though I have had to replace chain rings and chains, it works as well as it ever did.
Old 04-05-20, 03:37 AM
cb400bill
Model Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 604 Posts
Scooters are not bicycles. We are a bicycling forum not a scooter forum.

Thread closed.