Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Chicago, don't go on bike rides or long runs?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 03-26-20, 08:19 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

The COVID 19 not to dismissed a true worldwide problem, but the mayor of Chicago thinking long runs and bike rides are going to be a problem is crazy. Going into a store to purchase groceries is way more dangerous not to mention those who have to work. Clearly they are not in touch with the problem. Certainly going out solo is the way but it is pretty easy to stay 6 feet away riding a bike. This was reported at Fox News.
Old 03-26-20, 08:33 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3974 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark View Post
The COVID 19 not to dismissed a true worldwide problem, but the mayor of Chicago thinking long runs and bike rides are going to be a problem is crazy. Going into a store to purchase groceries is way more dangerous not to mention those who have to work. Clearly they are not in touch with the problem. Certainly going out solo is the way but it is pretty easy to stay 6 feet away riding a bike. This was reported at Fox News.
Most politicians aren't epidemiology experts, so they often have no clue when it comes to things like this.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-26-20, 09:00 AM
esarhaddon
Lurker

Bikes: Trek Domane Koppenberg, Windsor Knight, Jamis Durango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Yesterday it was the first really nice day out in Chicago since the stay at home order happened. Everybody went outside in the afternoon and it was impossible to stay 6 ft away from people on the popular trails like the 606 or the Lakefront trail.
Old 03-26-20, 09:13 AM
big john

Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by esarhaddon View Post
Yesterday it was the first really nice day out in Chicago since the stay at home order happened. Everybody went outside in the afternoon and it was impossible to stay 6 ft away from people on the popular trails like the 606 or the Lakefront trail.
Over the weekend the beaches were packed as were the hiking trails. Due to this the city has closed beach parking and all trails are closed. Even the national forest has closed recreation.
Old 03-26-20, 10:21 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 128 Posts
Head to the suburbs for long rides. City bike paths are too crowded under normal circumstances anyway, and they're much worse now. They're not going to start arresting people for riding their bikes on the street.
Likes For kingston:
Old 03-26-20, 05:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3911 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark View Post
1- I've ridden downtown multiple times- both on streets and along the lake. If it's a nice day, you are passing by and avoiding hitting/being hit by dozens of people withing 30min of lakefront riding. It's as close to a zoo as a parth can get.

2- someone riding in front of me sneezes or coughs, I am absolutely riding thru their particles.

Just things to consider.
Old 03-27-20, 12:54 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Runners and cyclists aren't the primary problem in Chicago.
Just two days ago there were groups of people playing full court pick up basketball, soccer and and kids were running around on playgrounds. The closing of parks, especially along the lake, was inevitable and while it's unfortunate that the lakefront, riverwalk and 606 trails also got closed, I totally understand why it happened.

The good news for cyclists is that traffic is super light, so even if you live in the city it should be easy to find low stress routes to ride right now.
Old 03-27-20, 01:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11527 Post(s)
Liked 2,719 Times in 1,575 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Over the weekend the beaches were packed as were the hiking trails. Due to this the city has closed beach parking and all trails are closed. Even the national forest has closed recreation.
​​​​​​I didn't see this. Is it all of USFS, or s particular forest?
Old 03-27-20, 01:07 PM
big john

Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Angeles National Forest. Don't know about any others.
Old 03-27-20, 04:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Thanks @big john! 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-27-20, 07:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Well, damn. They've closed all the national forests here too.
​​​​
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...ouzWK5nGQMuE98
Old 03-27-20, 07:39 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 504 Posts
Well, damn. They've closed all the national forests here too.
​​​​
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...ouzWK5nGQMuE98
Rocky Mountain National Park was closed, because Estes Park begged them to. The influx of tourists was out of control, and they just wanted them gone.
In other news, to effect quick passes of other cyclists out this morning, I did dial it up to 400w to pass several times. It doesn't actually feel like much of anything for that duration. Not sure what that guy was on about.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-29-20, 08:08 AM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
There are three concerns here:
1) people density on the trail on nice days. this is what it looked like earlier this week https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET_xt3mW...jpg&name=small
2) these prime-time trails need a lot of officer patrols to make sure they dont' get a bad rep. Aside from tourism, these trails REALLY increase property values (20% in the case of my old 1br condo) and therefore property taxes to be collected. They are MAGNETS for crime.
3) these trails are magnets for accidents and the city has a limited number of hospital beds. They need to reduce ER inputs from common causes to handle the inputs from new causes.
Old 03-29-20, 08:59 AM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I work for the USFS. It's being left up to each NF at this time. The forest I work on has closed all buildings, campgrounds, bathrooms, etc. However, dispersed camping is still allowed and day uses are still allowed ie biking, hiking, horse riding, fishing etc.
Likes For jbell_64:
Old 03-29-20, 09:23 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I don't bike on our local MUP it is a hazard and unsafe even though it was supposed to be for running, walking and cycling. Real road cyclist go out in the country on roads not go over much by cars in central Illinois.
Old 03-29-20, 03:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 568 Posts
I am concerned that the group-riding knuckleheads I saw today on my long, lonely, solo workout will get cycling shut down here.
Old 03-30-20, 01:57 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 109 Posts
The point is that people HAVE to go to a grocery store to get food to survive. They DON'T have to go on a "long" bike ride to survive.

Ride outside if you insist but this is Chicago so I'll go out on a limb and guess you have an indoor trainer (yes it sucks but these are the sacrifices we make and in the grand scheme this is a small sacrifice).

They labeled us/me as "essential". As a bike shop. i totally and completely disagree. I have lost industry friends over that disagreement. Essential would be if healthcare, grocery, or emergency workers had to use bicycles to commute with AND had so many problems doing that they NEEDED the use of bike shops in order to still make it to work.

What it has really become is a bunch of enthusiast riders who either are ignorant, don't think it's "that bad", or are simply extroverts that can't control themselves and stay indoors are strolling into shops to look around and see what they can buy or are trying to visit. I'm beyond done with it. That nice day I had a line of people coming in for no real reason.

After watching what my wife is having to deal with and go through as an RN running an immediate care facility - I am acutely aware that there isn't a damn thing that a bike shop can do to help prevent the spread and there isn't anything in a bike shop that is worth dying for.

As for the LFP - don't ride on it. Not that big of a deal. We have a ton of streets. Go ride on them. Alone. If you can't then ride your trainer at home and away from others. This isn't rocket science and no one cares if you don't agree or think it's stupid.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-30-20, 02:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

I haven't been to the grocery store in 3 or 4 weeks. I'm out of milk, but still have bread in the freezer. I saw the writing on the wall and did the biggest grocery trip of my life. It was pretty obvious to me that grocery stores are much more dangerous than riding a bike, skiing, hiking, or what have you.
Old 03-30-20, 03:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10888 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Just two days ago there were groups of people playing full court pick up basketball, soccer and and kids were running around on playgrounds
Philly has started removing basketball rims from city parks after video showed lots of group games. Playgrounds are currently still open.
Old 04-02-20, 11:51 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
It was always hard to ride on the paths closed by the Chicago Mayor. The forest preserve paths coming out of Caldwell Woods and going uo to Ravinia had also always been popular.. Someone else posted they were impassable on that first warm day last week.

I was riding on the street in the SW burbs, and on a whim took the gravel path into the Green Valley trail by Woodwridge. It wasn't too bad, I''d say we encountered 6 groups of walkers in 2 miles, but it was still too close for me. .
Old 04-03-20, 12:07 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 35 Posts
I don't think the problem is the act of biking, So much as to where are we biking to. Many folks go visiting on their bikes, or shopping potentially bringing the dreaded virus with them and infecting a new group of people.

I don't mind telling I finally get it, and plan on doing my part to stop the spread. The weekly visit to the grocery store for fresh produce is the closest I get to people, as I am retired.

But I have no problem going for an hour bike ride around the neighborhood passing within a 2 - 3 feet of groups. I think it extremely unlikely a few such encounters are the problem.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 04-03-20 at 12:29 AM.