Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-24-20, 03:02 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
https://vimeo.com/23864632

More than one in the vid are Olympians
Old 03-24-20, 03:49 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I've got four direct reports. One just came back from Dubai and I have to figure out how to get her desktop set up at home. I think IT can install the VPN client not I'm not 100% yet.

Other guy I don't trust to not goof off and I have to keep a serious eye on (he's on an improvement plan for poor productivity and stealing time), also has a desktop he was figuring out how to take home on Friday. He managed to do basically nothing for about 5 hours before calling IT with a computer issue to finally try to fix it. I'm trying to cut people slack right now though so I didn't make a thing of it.

Other two have laptops and took docking stations and monitors and stuff, and are my better employees. I'm considering retrieving my entire setup, but right now I have the laptop and one monitor, no docking station. If this goes on I'll have to get a more permanent set up though.
Let your subordinates get a few free passes with this crap.

Your clients are also off work - or should be - only front line electricians / engineers should be working
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 03-24-20, 04:07 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Sounds like the President wants to remove the restrictions. Not sure how easy that would be, but I imagine USA cycling would jump at it, and then it would be up to the individual promoters.

Pretty sure I'd yank the plug on my season at that point and stay home until the world found some equilibrium.

There are two races for me that are "local." That is in the Adirondacks. One is up the street from me. But second week of May, and first week of June. Those both seem like folly to me. After that I'm on the shelf until August-October. I could do enough late season races to try and contest the hill climb series, though a bunch of those are travel races with hotel stays and that seems sketchy both financially and from a germ perspective. Staying indoors until the end of time is starting to seem like a good idea.

Any one want to go hiking?
Old 03-24-20, 06:44 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Let your subordinates get a few free passes with this crap.

Your clients are also off work - or should be - only front line electricians / engineers should be working
We support utilities (I do power, but we have gas and comm as well) so they've deemed us essential. I don't necessarily agree with every part of the utility business being essential, but it's keeping me employed, and we're all remote anyway except for surveying which we're only sending people in separate cars and they're doing their safety tailboard at a distance from each other and eating lunch in their separate cars, so it's probably fine.

But if most of these projects got delayed 6 months it wouldn't kill anyone. Would a few more people maybe lose power in a storm if we don't continue to improve and renew the infrastructure? Yes. But what we're doing is mostly not emergent work. Some of our projects are replacing poles that are in really, really bad shape, so that I could see continuing. But the rest? I dunno.

I worry about the crews that are still out there working on non-emergent stuff. 5 or 6 guys or whatever, together all day, improving infrastructure that isn't going to fall down in the next 3 months if it isn't fixed.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-28-20, 06:42 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I finally caved and got an Instant Pot. Trial run tonight for shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches.
Old 03-28-20, 06:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,427 Posts
I watched the movie The Good Liar last night. I had low expectations but it was really good.
Old 03-30-20, 09:45 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
For, "experimental" KOM purposes........for someone like myself, are there gains to be made in the 2min power range?

There's a few local hills I'm after. Trying to decipher my power/duration curve from the 30 sec to 2min range and work on my pacing a bit. Also to see how much I can realistically stretch it since I'm not a big guy (why is the slang word for a person plays Naysmith's sport restricted in BF?).

Right now, I haven't done any 2min ones, but did a 1:30 at 430w that was pretty much maxing out to bag one. I had to dig a little extra on that one on a steeper part which cost me.........so maybe 1:45 is possible at 430ish.

I've never really trained that range. I've done the sets of 3x3min in the past, but those still didn't seem as 'anaerobic' in sets as a one'n'done 2min deal.

I'd really like to get the 2min to 450w.
Old 03-30-20, 09:52 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
couple weeks of focused anaerobic efforts should see it shoot up. Go KoM hunting 2x a week and don't kill yourself on the other days and those numbers will pick up fast. downside: it's like working up to a peak, you'll gain really fast but it's not sustainable for very long.

With the coronavirus only allowing solo rides everyone is KoM hunting here. With the wind picking up over the weekend some segments have seen new KoMs at close to 40 mph.
Old 03-30-20, 10:08 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Cool, good to know. A couple are close enough that if I can hold that for 2min, my speed (uphill) would be fast enough to justify using the TT bike. I've narrowed the watts on TT bike to road bike these days to better than 95% at all power zones it seems.
Old 03-30-20, 10:19 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
For, "experimental" KOM purposes........for someone like myself, are there gains to be made in the 2min power range?

There's a few local hills I'm after. Trying to decipher my power/duration curve from the 30 sec to 2min range and work on my pacing a bit. Also to see how much I can realistically stretch it since I'm not a big guy (why is the slang word for a person plays Naysmith's sport restricted in BF?).

Right now, I haven't done any 2min ones, but did a 1:30 at 430w that was pretty much maxing out to bag one. I had to dig a little extra on that one on a steeper part which cost me.........so maybe 1:45 is possible at 430ish.

I've never really trained that range. I've done the sets of 3x3min in the past, but those still didn't seem as 'anaerobic' in sets as a one'n'done 2min deal.

I'd really like to get the 2min to 450w.
You could try 4x1 at 400-415W with 1 min between intervals on Saturdays and full-blown Tabatas on Tuesdays.

Everyone seems to have different ideas of Tabatas, but I see them as a 40+ minute Z2/3 warmup then 30s @ a dead-nuts finish line sprint, followed by 30s @ 55% of FTP, repeated 8 times for a total interval time of 8 mins. If you've never done these, they aren't to be taken lightly, nor should you do more than 3-4 weeks of them without taking a break. My breathing generally doesn't return to normal until 15-20 mins after the last interval. You'll need a 4-mile long stretch of flat road with no cars on it. By the 5th interval I find it difficult to maintain a straight line, and by the time I'm done, I'm wobbling around everywhere, unable to focus on anything but turning pedals over. However, Tabatas are the single-most effective way I've ever seen to increase fitness. It's like having a secret weapon.
Old 03-30-20, 10:37 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,573 Posts
I've never mustered the effort to try a real Tabata workout like that... maybe I should give it a go sometime just to see what all the fuss is about!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-30-20, 10:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Whew, yeah, anything in that range sucks. But, you're right. That's the kind of stuff that brings it up.

Gotta do the power at and above 2min power if you wanna bring up 2min power.
Old 03-30-20, 10:48 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by TMonk
I've never mustered the effort to try a real Tabata workout like that... maybe I should give it a go sometime just to see what all the fuss is about!
The ones I do were given to me by O'Donnell back in the day. I sort of remember the first time I did them... I remember starting them, then about the halfway point it gets all fuzzy, then my memory skips to about 5 mins after I finished. They are definitely a "this is the only thing you're doing on the bike today" kind of thing. I limp home afterwards and try to process what I've just done to myself. Make sure you drink a LOT of fluid before and after. I've given myself rhabdomyolisis twice from these workouts, which is scary as hell.
Old 03-30-20, 11:53 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
The only thing I'll add to what Cypress has said is, if I'm doing them properly, I have to bargain with myself between every set to trick myself into finishing the workout. They're truly awful.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-30-20, 12:01 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Some of the best work for me for improving pursuit efforts 2 to 3 minutes is motor work run at pursuit pace and above with two laps behind the motor and two laps next to the motor no reduction in speed for slightly longer duration in time. Without the motor, it turns into an over under but a lower speed.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-30-20 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-30-20, 12:35 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
The term Tabata has kind of been coopted to reflect any workout that mixes all-out efforts with short rest, but technically there is only one true Tabata workout: 8 efforts of 20s all out, 10s rest.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-30-20, 02:49 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I have found that for tabata style on/off efforts, time slows down for the on portion and speeds up for the off portion. Hermes general theory of “on off” efforts predicts this.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-30-20, 05:57 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

REI had the Tifosi sunglasses on sale pretty good. Wow, nicer optics than my POS Target shades. They claim impact resistant polycarbonate, which is a big sell for me after eating it on the face. This style has a generous border under the eye where I got torn up badly.

Swap-able lenses. Case. Meaning night time riding safety also.

First ride and run with them........they're on point.
Old 03-30-20, 08:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
REI had the Tifosi sunglasses on sale pretty good. Wow, nicer optics than my POS Target shades. They claim impact resistant polycarbonate, which is a big sell for me after eating it on the face. This style has a generous border under the eye where I got torn up badly.

Good to hear. I was thinking about them because they offer magnifying lenses.
https://www.sportrx.com/tifosi-veloc...SABEgL8aPD_BwE

Last edited by big john; 03-30-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-30-20, 09:36 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
The term Tabata has kind of been coopted to reflect any workout that mixes all-out efforts with short rest, but technically there is only one true Tabata workout: 8 efforts of 20s all out, 10s rest.
This is the one I know. Whole workout can be done in less than half an hour. 10 min warm up. 4 minute effort, 5-10 min cd. I'm pretty sure i learned about it through cross fit (blech).
Old 03-30-20, 09:41 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Since racing is basically cancelled for 2020, and I have a year to get in shape now. I submitted my upgrade for Cat 2 and got approved based on the new upgrade chart. Happy! That was a big goal for last season that I didn't quite hit (1 point off) so this is kind of some validation.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 03-30-20, 10:40 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts

I've had mine for years. They're well priced and I love them. Nice hard case, multiple lenses.
Old 03-31-20, 07:00 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Since racing is basically cancelled for 2020, and I have a year to get in shape now. I submitted my upgrade for Cat 2 and got approved based on the new upgrade chart. Happy! That was a big goal for last season that I didn't quite hit (1 point off) so this is kind of some validation.

USA cycling didn't get the memo. Racing will be yuuuuge come 5/4
Old 03-31-20, 07:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

How stiff are skateboard truck bushings? Like, I know they let you lean side to side to steer a skateboard and return to "center". But, could you use pairs of them for a trainer "rocker"? They make 'heavy duty' or 'fat dude' skateboard trucks?

I could easily fab up something using those that's pretty elegant to fit to my smart trainer.
Old 03-31-20, 08:17 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
The coronamiseration thread has moved to the lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.