Reload this Page >

Forum for cv19 in lounge? Lame

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 03-31-20, 05:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 554 Posts

That's all. Evetyone can carry on with the legitimate concern, hysterics, and conspiracies.
Old 03-31-20, 09:03 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 237 Posts
It's not "lame" at all. The change makes perfect sense. Now it's easy to avoid seeing them if you're not interested, and if you are they are all in one place. Great job, moderators!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-01-20, 03:17 AM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
That's all. Evetyone can carry on with the legitimate concern, hysterics, and conspiracies.
mstateglfr Where do you suggest we put all of the threads that people started? I'm open to suggestions please.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
It's not "lame" at all. The change makes perfect sense. Now it's easy to avoid seeing them if you're not interested, and if you are they are all in one place. Great job, moderators!
Thank you for understanding.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 04-01-20, 06:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
mstateglfr Where do you suggest we put all of the threads that people started? I'm open to suggestions please.
if it's a cycling related thread, then keep the thread on a cycling forum. A thread about group road rides during this outbreak in the road forum makes sense. A thread about touring plans during the outbreak in the touring forum makes sense.
if the thread is just to complain about the pandemic, offer up conspiracies, criticize leaders, etc- then move it. Same as is always done with off topic threads.

or just stuff all the threads in an area of the site that isnt even cycling related. Either way.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-01-20, 06:17 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7377 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 453 Posts
if it's a cycling related thread, then keep the thread on a cycling forum. A thread about group road rides during this outbreak in the road forum makes sense. A thread about touring plans during the outbreak in the touring forum makes sense.
if the thread is just to complain about the pandemic, offer up conspiracies, criticize leaders, etc- then move it. Same as is always done with off topic threads.

or just stuff all the threads in an area of the site that isnt even cycling related. Either way.
Sounds like you're volunteering to help do all that monitoring. Care to sign up?
Old 04-01-20, 06:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Sounds like you're volunteering to help do all that monitoring. Care to sign up?
Does it sound like that, or are you just reacting emotionally to a suggestion?
I'm not sure why you took that to mean I'm volunteering. Blue asked for suggestions and I responded with a respectful and I think very logical suggestion.
There is no need for you to then get passive aggressive with a response. I get it- mods volunteer here and there is only so much time available. If my suggestion is not possible, then a simple, 'thanks for the idea, it would be great if that could happen, but unfortunately we dont have the manpower to handle it' would have sufficed.

As it is, mods go thru threads to move them off boards and into this forum, correct? So presumably the thread content is scanned and moved if needed. Seems like if the content is cycling related still, it could just stay on that board.

If I am misunderstanding how its determined if threads are moved, then apologies and I plead ignorance since I dont know the inner workings of how your team finds threads about this topic. Again though, a simple response explaining how it's done or why my suggestion isnt possible would have sufficed.

Here is a fun recap in color.
-Where do you suggest we put these threads? I'm open to suggestions.
- Perhaps leave cycling related threads in cycling forums and move ones that arent cycling related?
- Sounds like you want to volunteer and do this for us!
- No it doesnt. It sounds like a suggestion since I was asked.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-01-20, 07:34 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Quoted: 3551 Post(s)
Liked 2,246 Times in 1,295 Posts
Does it sound like that, or are you just reacting emotionally to a suggestion?
I'm not sure why you took that to mean I'm volunteering. Blue asked for suggestions and I responded with a respectful and I think very logical suggestion.
There is no need for you to then get passive aggressive with a response. I get it- mods volunteer here and there is only so much time available. If my suggestion is not possible, then a simple, 'thanks for the idea, it would be great if that could happen, but unfortunately we dont have the manpower to handle it' would have sufficed.

As it is, mods go thru threads to move them off boards and into this forum, correct? So presumably the thread content is scanned and moved if needed. Seems like if the content is cycling related still, it could just stay on that board.

If I am misunderstanding how its determined if threads are moved, then apologies and I plead ignorance since I dont know the inner workings of how your team finds threads about this topic. Again though, a simple response explaining how it's done or why my suggestion isnt possible would have sufficed.

Here is a fun recap in color.
-Where do you suggest we put these threads? I'm open to suggestions.
- Perhaps leave cycling related threads in cycling forums and move ones that arent cycling related?
- Sounds like you want to volunteer and do this for us!
- No it doesnt. It sounds like a suggestion since I was asked.

C'mon, even the title of this thread was combative, and your OP wasn't exactly constructive.
BillyD just explained to you in 13 words why your ideas wouldn't work. No one wants to put in that much time for nothing. Don't pretend you didn't get the point.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-01-20, 07:49 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 151 Posts
I moderated a forum for many years, not cycling.. pedal variety, related. On that forum if a separate board were established, it became somewhat self-policing. Other members would report misplaced posts to mods, then they would move them. So no, mods don't necessarily spend their time scanning for offences.
Old 04-01-20, 08:05 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 90 Posts
Another perspective -- Makes as much sense as, say, creating a "Maintenance/Wrenching" sub-forum for where all such related discussions can be found. Else, as with any topic that has a great number of threads, they'd be everywhere littering the other sub-forums. Could have all been moved into the "Foo" (general) area, I suppose, but then "Foo" isn't all that descriptive either.
Old 04-01-20, 08:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
C'mon, even the title of this thread was combative, and your OP wasn't exactly constructive.
BillyD just explained to you in 13 words why your ideas wouldn't work. No one wants to put in that much time for nothing. Don't pretend you didn't get the point.
ha ha, the thread title was combative? wow thats a low hurdle to clear. i posted my thought- that a separate forum on a part of BF, which isnt even cycling related, is lame. hardly combative, unless you consider all reactions and disagreement to be combative.
and you are correct, the first post wasnt constructive, because it wasnt meant to be constructive. Once a mod responded though, i offered a well reasoned and polite response to the question asked.
BillyD didnt explain anything in 13 words- it was 14(heh heh), and even then- nothing was explained. A dismissive response was given, not an explanation.

Again, if this is what has to happen in the collective moderator's eyes, then so be it. That doesnt mean I wont find it lame and it doesnt mean i shouldnt offer up a suggestion when i am literally asked to give a suggestion.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-01-20, 08:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
I moderated a forum for many years, not cycling.. pedal variety, related. On that forum if a separate board were established, it became somewhat self-policing. Other members would report misplaced posts to mods, then they would move them. So no, mods don't necessarily spend their time scanning for offences.
good point- we have the report option on these, so perhaps that is how they plan to monitor, at least in part.
Old 04-01-20, 08:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Another perspective -- Makes as much sense as, say, creating a "Maintenance/Wrenching" sub-forum for where all such related discussions can be found. Else, as with any topic that has a great number of threads, they'd be everywhere littering the other sub-forums. Could have all been moved into the "Foo" (general) area, I suppose, but then "Foo" isn't all that descriptive either.
true- maintenance is applicable to all genres of cycling, but has its own forum instead of being within each forum. With that said, the topic forums are littered with maintenance threads too and those are almost never moved to the maintenance forum. Go to the road, cx/gravel, touring, c&v, or general forums- there are tons of threads asking for advice and help on wrenching and maintenance.
Also, that maintenance forum is located within the cycling topics, versus this which is in the lounge(which holds forums that are not cycling related). Why go to an area that isnt cycling related to ask others about how covid19 has affected their plans for touring this summer? That makes little sense from a categorization perspective.

But hey- its a volunteer job and since apparently nobody gets paid to run this massive place, the volunteers are doing what they can with the time they can give. That, genuinely, is appreciated.
Old 04-01-20, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

ha ha, the thread title was combative? wow thats a low hurdle to clear. i posted my thought- that a separate forum on a part of BF, which isnt even cycling related, is lame. hardly combative, unless you consider all reactions and disagreement to be combative.
and you are correct, the first post wasnt constructive, because it wasnt meant to be constructive. Once a mod responded though, i offered a well reasoned and polite response to the question asked.
BillyD didnt explain anything in 13 words- it was 14(heh heh), and even then- nothing was explained. A dismissive response was given, not an explanation.

Again, if this is what has to happen in the collective moderator's eyes, then so be it. That doesnt mean I wont find it lame and it doesnt mean i shouldnt offer up a suggestion when i am literally asked to give a suggestion.

Interesting rules of etiquette you got there. You get to use dismissive language in your OP, but write several paragraphs of diatribe about some perceived slight when a moderator makes a point succinctly.

Weird how his reaction was dismissive yet you understood exactly what he meant--basically, he made the point by saying "Do you want to do all that work for free?" Your complaint appears to be that he gave you too much credit to infer the obvious explanation from his answer. Or is it just that dictated that he should have added a few more words (and workload) to go point by point on how much monitoring what you're proposing would actually require?

Your OP is far more rude than anything he posted.
Old 04-01-20, 11:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Interesting rules of etiquette you got there. You get to use dismissive language in your OP, but write several paragraphs of diatribe about some perceived slight when a moderator makes a point succinctly.

Weird how his reaction was dismissive yet you understood exactly what he meant--basically, he made the point by saying "Do you want to do all that work for free?" Your complaint appears to be that he gave you too much credit to infer the obvious explanation from his answer. Or is it just that dictated that he should have added a few more words (and workload) to go point by point on how much monitoring what you're proposing would actually require?

Your OP is far more rude than anything he posted.
Sounds good. I can now mark being scolded by ldl off my list of things to do today.
Old 04-01-20, 11:43 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 186 Posts
Ok, so shouldn't this be in forum suggestions?
Old 04-01-20, 01:31 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Ok, so shouldn't this be in forum suggestions?

Better yet, closed.
Old 04-01-20, 01:46 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7377 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 453 Posts
Yes, closed.