Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wave rate

Old 03-31-20, 08:37 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In a situation like that, I save energy on the wave by only using one finger.

If someone is slowing or stopping to argue with me, I take that as a threat and will deliberately begin to act insane enough that they won't want to risk getting out of the car. If they're inclined to hit me with their vehicle, that's already so insane that I don't know whether ignoring them or acting like a nut will or won't make it more likely to happen.
r.e. my bolding --- your other fingers and thumb go along for the uprising so technically no energy saved BUTT it might be more aero so speed is not affected.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 03-31-20, 08:39 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
In a situation like that, I save energy on the wave by only using one finger.

If someone is slowing or stopping to argue with me, I take that as a threat and will deliberately begin to act insane enough that they won't want to risk getting out of the car. If they're inclined to hit me with their vehicle, that's already so insane that I don't know whether ignoring them or acting like a nut will or won't make it more likely to happen.
I generally am large enough, that when I am off the bike, I can be intimidating. And I have an awesome "mad" face. At 57, it's been quite awhile since my last real scrap. But fear not. I well remember how. On the other hand, sometimes it is best to let a road rage Ranger be.
Old 03-31-20, 08:44 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
.................. Next up, when the gyms reopen, do I have to wave at everyone on a stationary bike?
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
...where you can get the bike in the center of the class and wave to all the riders around you. Oh, the bliss.
Spin bikes in a circle and start a continuous wavy - wave like in a stadium. A quick up -down - up - down - up - ..... and thus some upper body work-out even better if both hands used
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 03-31-20, 09:14 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
What bothers me is that sometimes someone will not only wave, but seem to be acknowledging they know who I am. Then for the next 1/2 mile I'm riding along trying to think if I knew that person or not.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 03-31-20, 09:18 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Yup, my main frustration right now is that taking the time to have the polite exchange would probably make them nervous about violating social distance rules Normally, I go out of my way to let them know that I think it's my job to accommodate them, not the other way around.

Also, when I approach a kid on the path, I find it much safer to just assume he/she is going to get it wrong, and get pleasantly surprised when they don't. All the way over and really slow gives me plenty of time to adjust either way.

Do you find yourself cringing when you see other cyclists blast past kids? I know I do.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-31-20, 09:25 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
100% I wave at everyone, and they wave at me...Round Rock TX must be friendly! Heck I even wave to motorcycles!

Also, my wave is a salute...anyone else do that? leftover from my navy days i guess...

JAG
Old 03-31-20, 12:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Do you find yourself cringing when you see other cyclists blast past kids? I know I do.
It's always the Strava junkies doing that on the Minuteman.

I've chased a couple of people down on the Minuteman just to yell at them for doing that. Mostly I want to humiliate them by showing them a man with white hair can catch them and pass them without riding like a reckless jerk.
Old 03-31-20, 08:57 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
When my wife and I rode through Chicago which was on our bike tour route, we wanted to see how many smiles would be returned by the people we smiled at. It was fun, and it was amazing how many people returned our smiles

Last edited by Doug64; 04-03-20 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-31-20, 10:49 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'm about 40-50%.

Generally do not wave at those with flashing front lights (sometimes they get the one finger salute), nor e-bikes.
Old 04-02-20, 10:57 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by peterjm76
What was your wave rate on your last ride? I try to keep a 90+% and wave at as many cyclists as I see. I notice that it isn’t the norm, but I think it ought to be. Loosen up your spandex and give riders you see a friendly wave or a nod!
I usually wave/nod at other roadies, less so at folks on hybrids and cruisers, but even then I'd say I do more than most. Especially when it's nasty outside, because you know the person you're passing is just, if not more passionate than your about cycling if they're out there in those conditions.
Old 04-03-20, 09:43 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Depends.

I get a lot higher response rate if I wave with only one finger but they tend to be unfriendly. A lot more responses but not many smiles.
Old 04-03-20, 04:12 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm a country boy and grew up in an environment where everyone waved because you always knew who they were. To not acknowledge people seems more than just rude. If someone stops their car for me on the bike or car, I give them a vigorous wave and a toothy smile.
Old 04-03-20, 04:49 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
After I moved up here to Marin, Ca. from the East Bay (El Cerrito) I found that roadies in Marin mostly do not wave. Now, roadies in Marin many times are not from Marin, so I always take that into account.
I'm a goofball, so I wave a lot, sing to myself, talk to the birds and squirrels and whatnot. I also try to flash a peace sign for cars who recognize my presence in traffic.
Why not be friendly, right?
Now when someone pulls some aggro BS, be they cyclist or motorist or even (very rarely) a pedestrian, I have some choice combination curse words at the ready.
Old 04-03-20, 04:54 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Maybe it's the small town boy in me, but I wave or nod at everyone unless there is a steady procession of people. I say hello to strangers when I pass them on the sidewalk when there's not a steady procession of people. I don't know why, but it seems like the most polite thing to do. I have made some general observations about who is most likely to wave back and who is not.

My wife and I have done a few MUP rides lately where I have put my observations to the test, and my predictions rarely fail me. Older (50ish +) white males on high dollar road bikes are the least likely to wave, head nod or smile. Women and African Americans on almost any kind of bike almost always give a friendly greeting. Almost all people on comfort or cruiser kind of bikes will give a greeting. Everything else falls somewhere in between.
One ride I took a few months back had me come across a husband and wife on their separate bicycles. The wife waived and spoke out loud to me, which I replied back in kind. The husband kept his head down, his mouth shut, and looked annoyed that he wasn't pedaling his usual pace.

I knew exactly how he felt.
Old 04-03-20, 05:06 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Waving at other riders is a habit from my old motorcycle days, I'm usually so glad to be on one of my bikes that I'm actually friendly to other humans for that time.

I ride in regular clothes and notice that if I wave at "full kit roadies", they get annoyed if I catch them seeing my wave towards them. It's one of those "crap, just leave me alone" looks. Which I understand, because I'm like that if I'm not on a bike.

Also, I get passed by roadies that go by without a whisper. I know I'm essentially a traffic cone going only 15 to 16 mph. Lololol.

Now I will say that with so many people not at work, that a whole lot of people out there on foot and on two wheels are waving back at me. I'm not sure how long that will last, though.
Old 04-03-20, 11:13 PM
metroblis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unless it's crowded, I nearly always try to catch the eye and make some kind of polite acknowledgement to pedestrians or other folks on wheels. So many people dislike cyclists when they get back in their cars, I figure it helps to try shift their experience to something positive.
Old 04-04-20, 07:51 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 604 Posts
I have attached one of these royal figurines to my bars. Never have to think about waving.

Likes For badger1:
Old 04-04-20, 07:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I pretty much wave at all adults walking or riding. I dont bother waving at the head down roadies.
Old 04-05-20, 10:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
After a long ride yesterday I’m convinced the wave rate is up.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-05-20, 11:37 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I have always been fascinated with human behavior and response. As a young teen I was doing "Jackass" and "Impractical Joker" kind of stuff around the neighborhood.

I wonder how many of the people who refuse to wave would react if the approaching rider insulted rather than wave.